Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is dedicated to those who are facing the challenge of raising children without the support of a spouse. This is a place to share ideas and lend mutual support.

Saint Rita is known to be a patroness for abused wives and mourning women.
Learn More: Saint Rita

07/01/2012 new

(Quote) Tara-539245 said: I do like your ideas. I grew up in a single parent home, for the most part, ...
(Quote) Tara-539245 said:

I do like your ideas. I grew up in a single parent home, for the most part, but my father did pay child support. We attended Catholic schools, but my mom never got us cars or paid car insurance. We could stay at home rent-free during college, but then we had to pay "room and board". We each graduated college, own homes, and have stable jobs. Also, we don't have any debt besides mortgages and cars, obviously; no school loans to pay off because we had scholarships. My aunt and uncle spoiled their 2 kids, and neither of them graduated from college or have a good work ethic. They are 25 and just now having to purchase their own vehicles and pay rent. They are still out doing the "bar scene" and throwing money away on alcohol. It's a shame.

I will admit I buy nice things.... Yes, I have those "i" things, too! lol But, I also use coupons, shop sales ads, and have NEVER had credit card debt. I also price-match and have no shame telling Target that I want my dollar back on something that dropped a dollar in price. lol It's my dollar! I'll buy an Icee! :) I was never given an allowance, but if I had, I'm sure I would've still bought nice things... I just would have had FEWER nice things. lol :) Some things are worth the cost, but on an allowance, I would've had to keep them much longer instead of replacing them whenever I wanted.

--hide--

Tara, I also have a very close relative who was (and still is) spoiled by his parents and now he is divorced, over 50 and still depending on them to live...it's scary how some parents do not realize what they do to their children and it seems impossible to make them understand.

Thank you very much Tara. I always say that it's easier to let go than to react when it comes to correcting and showing the right thing to do to our children, it takes a lot of energy out of parents, BUT I always say that all this effort is worthwhile, because it will benefit them and their future familes.

God bless!

07/01/2012 new
(Quote) Ivonne-91361 said: Congratulations Linda. I am sure it wasn't easy but you succeeded and now your children are respo...
(Quote) Ivonne-91361 said:

Congratulations Linda. I am sure it wasn't easy but you succeeded and now your children are responsible young adults. What else can we ask for our children?? I am very greatful for all your great ideas. I will try to put them in practice before its too late. Thank you very much.

--hide--
For them to call their momma a little more often? Laugh.
07/02/2012 new
My daughter is five so we don't have that problem yet......

Janna has a college fund and a savings account. When she is older she will have to get my permission to withdraw funds. I think that I would make her save some of her money from any jobs that she has and let her spend some of it. I think that making a chart of things that she wants with the prices, a car, some nice clothes, and the electronic things.

I do have some time to think about it. I hope that I will remember some of the ideas that I have seen here when the time comes.
07/02/2012 new

I would sit down with and see why he really wants an IPAD. If he just wants to be cool and be only one of his friends to have one, that kids get jealous (like adults) and might steal it, If that happens, there goes his money and IPad.

If I was you, I would do what my sister did to my oldest neice. My neice wanted to spend money on things and take it out her bank account. My sister told her that in a few years, she will be old enough to drive and want her own car. She (my sister) told her that she was not going buy her a car so she would need to save her money for it and think about how much insurance and licenses will be. So spend on on things not important or save money for something she really wanted.

So ask him: Spend your money now on something you don't need or save for something he would want in a few years. I am sure he will want to save his money.

07/02/2012 new

(Quote) Linda-756196 said: For them to call their momma a little more often? Laugh.
(Quote) Linda-756196 said: For them to call their momma a little more often? Laugh.
--hide--

Agreed hug biggrin

07/02/2012 new

(Quote) Theresa-722703 said: My daughter is five so we don't have that problem yet...... Janna has a college fund and a...
(Quote) Theresa-722703 said: My daughter is five so we don't have that problem yet......

Janna has a college fund and a savings account. When she is older she will have to get my permission to withdraw funds. I think that I would make her save some of her money from any jobs that she has and let her spend some of it. I think that making a chart of things that she wants with the prices, a car, some nice clothes, and the electronic things.

I do have some time to think about it. I hope that I will remember some of the ideas that I have seen here when the time comes.
--hide--

Yes, the ideas here are very good, so copy, paste and save :)

It's never too early to start...I think...

Blessings,

07/02/2012 new

(Quote) Terrence-339146 said: I would sit down with and see why he really wants an IPAD. If he just wants to be cool and be ...
(Quote) Terrence-339146 said:

I would sit down with and see why he really wants an IPAD. If he just wants to be cool and be only one of his friends to have one, that kids get jealous (like adults) and might steal it, If that happens, there goes his money and IPad.

If I was you, I would do what my sister did to my oldest neice. My neice wanted to spend money on things and take it out her bank account. My sister told her that in a few years, she will be old enough to drive and want her own car. She (my sister) told her that she was not going buy her a car so she would need to save her money for it and think about how much insurance and licenses will be. So spend on on things not important or save money for something she really wanted.

So ask him: Spend your money now on something you don't need or save for something he would want in a few years. I am sure he will want to save his money.

--hide--

This is actually something I forgot. Talking about the car he will need. Now...an update on this. He bought himself a.. steering wheel for his PS3. Agrrrr....I don't know if I should be happy...not beacuase it is less expensive makes the decision taking process well managed.

Thanks for sharing your ideas Terrence.

07/02/2012 new

(Quote) Terrence-339146 said: I would sit down with and see why he really wants an IPAD. If he just wants to be cool and be ...

--hide--

This is actually something I forgot. Talking about the car he will need. Now...an update on this. He bought himself a.. steering wheel for his PS3. Agrrrr....I don't know if I should be happy...not beacuase it is less expensive makes the decision taking process well managed.

07/02/2012 new

--hide--

07/02/2012 new

(Quote) Ivonne-91361 said: Dear parents, I am curious to know how your kids are allowed to use their savings account....
(Quote) Ivonne-91361 said:

Dear parents,

I am curious to know how your kids are allowed to use their savings account. Do you let them withdraw as they please? do you put some limits? and if so, based on what? My 14-year old has this idea of buying himself an iPad. He's got the money but I think he doesn't really need one, he has already a laptop for school and an iPod for his music and other applications. I do strongly think that he should be saving for something more "important". I have told him that I won't let him do that and gave him my arguments, but he insists that it is his money. He has contributed to build his savings account, but I have done the majority of it. Should I let him withdraw his part? Should I avoid it?. As usual your contribution to this subject will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

--hide--

Update:

My son is going on a summer camp for a week which will give me time to structure the "action plan" for him.

1. Install a software in his laptop to mange a budget.

2. He will have to manage the family budget

3. We will allocate the money, including his college savings and personal savings.

4. We will do a chart with the important things he will need in the near future - ok...we will include the things we would like to have (clothes, toys, "i" things, trips, etc)

5. He will choose and come up with a plan to achieve the purchase (saving more, coupons, summer jobs, neighbours, babysitting, ect)

6. I will update you on the outcome...

7. Did I forget something??

Posts 11 - 20 of 27