Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share
Topics from forums which did not have at least 2 new topics per month for the past 6 months are archived here.
06/26/2012 new

(Quote) Marissa-529206 said: Actually, it wasn't an attempt to be progressive, it was an attempt to retranslate what the...
(Quote) Marissa-529206 said:

Actually, it wasn't an attempt to be progressive, it was an attempt to retranslate what they messed up in the 60's because the words simply did not MEAN what they said....I wish I had a copy, I could give you an example, there are some real theological doozies. I always knew this and wondered, why we didn't have a better creed and better translation, I didn't know it was only the American Bishops in the 60's who decided to be very wishy--washy about the translation. So I'm glad, there can be NO mistake about what we mean. And since part of it is the creed. It ought to be VERY tightly woven.

--hide--

Amazing isn't it. Americans were founded on an attitude of individual independence which is one foundational reason so many are feeling isolated in our current culture which does not build or nurture community on it's own unless it is around something like a movie release... or some popularbook/movie.... The old translation was actually already fine the way it was before they changed it back then.

06/26/2012 new

(Quote) Maia-181886 said: (Quote) Bernard-2709 said: (Quote) Maia-181886 said:
(Quote) Maia-181886 said:

Quote:
Bernard-2709 said:

Quote:
Maia-181886 said:

I love the new translation. I wish the music were more traditional. Sometimes I feel like I'm at a rock concert, albeit Christian. I really would like to hear hymns like Holy God We Praise Thy Name, Come Holy Ghost and Ave Maria during Holy Communion and others. It would make the Mass even more reverent.

St. Therese Parish(Order Discalsed Carmelites O.C.D.)

Every Sunday, 1 p.m. (sung High Mass)Traditional Latin Mass
Fr. Robert Bishop, celebrant
1100 East Alhambra Rd.
Alhambra, CA 91801-2827
626-282-2744

Thanks for the reminder Bernard. This is indeed a great parish! I have been for Mass, Confession (the Holy Spirit clearly shines through their priests), and Adoration. Their Adoration chapel is really beautiful.

I think I attended a Saturday Mass and it was so reverent. I felt like I was really attending Mass.

--hide--

If I ever come down to visit or anything Maya, I might like to try that place.

06/26/2012 new

(Quote) Maia-181886 said: I'm not sure if that's their goal, to be 'progressive.' It's painfull...

I'm not sure if that's their goal, to be 'progressive.' It's painfully obvious many people who attend these Masses with the Christian rock music, don't care for the music and the 'clapping to the beat' and the 'grooving to the sounds.'

When I have attended Mass featuring more reverent hymns, all you need do is look around at people; you can tell, on the whole, they love the reverence! And their participation increases also.

--hide--

So people are sick of the 60's and 70's and 80's type of music?

06/27/2012 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: (Quote) Maia-181886 said: I'm not sure if that's their goal, to be...
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

Quote:
Maia-181886 said:

I'm not sure if that's their goal, to be 'progressive.' It's painfully obvious many people who attend these Masses with the Christian rock music, don't care for the music and the 'clapping to the beat' and the 'grooving to the sounds.'

When I have attended Mass featuring more reverent hymns, all you need do is look around at people; you can tell, on the whole, they love the reverence! And their participation increases also.

--hide--

I guess they must be but a great many people don't like the idea of coming forward and voicing their preferences, albeit positively, to their pastor or to the choir. They see it as 'rocking the boat' and don't want to be labeled troublemakers. I have often thought of doing this (voicing my preferences, not making trouble!) but I'm still trying to determine a way to voice my opinion so my words don't offend. It would be terrible if the choirmembers, after all their hard work rehearsing and selecting hymns, felt hurt or offended because a church member didn't like the more modern hymns.

I'm old enough to remember that it was the very late 1960's when more folksy, soft rock-style music began replacing the older, more reverent hymns. I remember not everyone liked this because that music, for many, eroded the reverence of the Mass.

Again, the more modern hymns are very beautiful but for many people, myself included, they just don't convey the reverence.

06/27/2012 new

(Quote) Marissa-529206 said: Actually, it wasn't an attempt to be progressive, it was an attempt to retranslate what the...

Actually, it wasn't an attempt to be progressive, it was an attempt to retranslate what they messed up in the 60's because the words simply did not MEAN what they said....I wish I had a copy, I could give you an example, there are some real theological doozies. I always knew this and wondered, why we didn't have a better creed and better translation, I didn't know it was only the American Bishops in the 60's who decided to be very wishy--washy about the translation. So I'm glad, there can be NO mistake about what we mean. And since part of it is the creed. It ought to be VERY tightly woven.

--hide--

You are correct Marissa, but in taking us back to the more precise translation, the Church has restored some of the reverence we 'lost in translation' some 40 years back.

06/27/2012 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: (Quote) Maia-181886 said: (Quote) Bernard-2709 said: <...
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

Quote:
Maia-181886 said:

Quote:
Bernard-2709 said:

Quote:
Maia-181886 said:

I love the new translation. I wish the music were more traditional. Sometimes I feel like I'm at a rock concert, albeit Christian. I really would like to hear hymns like Holy God We Praise Thy Name, Come Holy Ghost and Ave Maria during Holy Communion and others. It would make the Mass even more reverent.

St. Therese Parish(Order Discalsed Carmelites O.C.D.)

Every Sunday, 1 p.m. (sung High Mass)Traditional Latin Mass
Fr. Robert Bishop, celebrant
1100 East Alhambra Rd.
Alhambra, CA 91801-2827
626-282-2744

Thanks for the reminder Bernard. This is indeed a great parish! I have been for Mass, Confession (the Holy Spirit clearly shines through their priests), and Adoration. Their Adoration chapel is really beautiful.

I think I attended a Saturday Mass and it was so reverent. I felt like I was really attending Mass.

If I ever come down to visit or anything Maya, I might like to try that place.

--hide--

That would so be nice Marian! You would love St. Therese. theheart

06/27/2012 new

(Quote) Maia-181886 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: (Quote) Maia-181886 said:

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

Quote:
Maia-181886 said:

I guess they must be but a great many people don't like the idea of coming forward and voicing their preferences, albeit positively, to their pastor or to the choir. They see it as 'rocking the boat' and don't want to be labeled troublemakers. I have often thought of doing this (voicing my preferences, not making trouble!) but I'm still trying to determine a way to voice my opinion so my words don't offend. It would be terrible if the choirmembers, after all their hard work rehearsing and selecting hymns, felt hurt or offended because a church member didn't like the more modern hymns.

I'm old enough to remember that it was the very late 1960's when more folksy, soft rock-style music began replacing the older, more reverent hymns. I remember not everyone liked this because that music, for many, eroded the reverence of the Mass.

Again, the more modern hymns are very beautiful but for many people, myself included, they just don't convey the reverence.

--hide--

You can voice your opinions to the priest and sometimes to the person in charge of music. You could try wrapping it up in a compliment as we are discussing in my criticism thread. Four compliments one criticism and four more compliments. ...Or some mix..

There were many parishes in LA where I hated the way the music was being done or exploited on Sundays. I went up and often complimetned some folks but sometimes I came right and and told this one music director that "Your use of the droning notes and repeated notes during the consecration is highly HIGHLY distracting and I wish there was a chance for some silence during the mass. It is ok to have silence." wink shocked flamed

06/27/2012 new

We have a very small church and I LOVE our choir director. He is absolutely fabulously talented. And he likes Latin, so that's fun to sing a little gregorian chant, but I don't know what his choices were for new mass setting, but I simply don't care for ours. Maybe I should write one :)

06/27/2012 new

(Quote) Marissa-529206 said: We have a very small church and I LOVE our choir director. He is absolutely fabulously talented...

We have a very small church and I LOVE our choir director. He is absolutely fabulously talented. And he likes Latin, so that's fun to sing a little gregorian chant, but I don't know what his choices were for new mass setting, but I simply don't care for ours. Maybe I should write one :)

--hide--

It is my understanding that they sent the music directors to a conference where they would pick new music to go with the new translations. Of course the music should be appealing and reverent and singable. I am sure your music director would grow more from knowing you want to see a change than from believing everything is in perfect shape. As a professional musician myself- I would not mind feedback.

06/27/2012 new

Well, that's just it, we almost ALWAYS agree on music, we have the same styles. Maybe he picked the one he did because it was easier to sing for the congregation, I know he has done that sometimes....but anyway, it's not going to kill me, I enjoy everything else he sings. He does sing mostly traditional, and I don't MIND some of the 80's ones...I like Canticle of the Sun....."The heavens are telling the glory of God"...I'm using that for St. Francis Day.

Posts 11 - 20 of 37