Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

Yesterday, on the Feast of Saints Peter and Paul, Pope Benedict gave the Pallium to the Latin Rite Archbishops. Metropolitan Archbishop William C. Skurla, Metropolitan for the Byzantine Catholic Archeparchy of Pittsburgh, received the stole representing his authority, the Omophorion.

May God grant Metropolitan Williams, and the other archbishops, many blessed years of ministry.

resurrectionchanters.blogspot.com

07/01/2012 new

Wow,

I was not aware the title "Metropolitan" was still used in the west. Interesting.

07/01/2012 new

(Quote) Carlos-501660 said: Wow, I was not aware the title "Metropolitan" was still used in the we...
(Quote) Carlos-501660 said:

Wow,

I was not aware the title "Metropolitan" was still used in the west. Interesting.

--hide--

Metropolitan Skurla is Eastern Catholic. Byzantine Catholic, known as the Ruthenians, which is why he received the Omophorion instead of the Latin Rite Palium.

07/03/2012 new

(Quote) Carlos-501660 said: Wow, I was not aware the title "Metropolitan" was still used in the we...
(Quote) Carlos-501660 said:

Wow,

--hide--

The use of the title in the Latin Rite is, if I understand correctly, essentially ceremonial/honorary and does not have the same functionality as in the Eastern Church. I do believe that Latin Archbishops are Metropolitans for the most part.

07/03/2012 new

(Quote) John-336509 said: The use of the title in the Latin Rite is, if I understand correctly, essentially ceremon...
(Quote) John-336509 said:

The use of the title in the Latin Rite is, if I understand correctly, essentially ceremonial/honorary and does not have the same functionality as in the Eastern Church. I do believe that Latin Archbishops are Metropolitans for the most part.

--hide--

You are correct that the Archbishop is typically the Metropolitan for his region. Such is the case in the United States, certainly.

Posts 1 - 5 of 5