Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

07/03/2012 new

(Quote) Loretta-841943 said: Wills are fine but they are challenged and sometimes overturned.
(Quote) Loretta-841943 said:

Wills are fine but they are challenged and sometimes overturned.

--hide--

Do you have some reason to believe the same is not true of pre-nuptial agrrments?

07/05/2012 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: I find this an odd position. Why would you marry someone who you wouldn't trust? Is...
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said:

I find this an odd position. Why would you marry someone who you wouldn't trust? Isn't marriage about sharing - "for richer or poorer, in sickness and health". When I was married, my husband and I shared everything, and in fact, had a very equitable divorce (50/50) as we both had contributed roughly equal amounts to the marriage. I can understand making provision for children in a will or perhaps a trust set up for the children. But, would you really not want to share any of your assets with the man you love and marry when you die? That doesn't sound like true Christian love to me, but then again my parents were extremely generous people who shared what they had with everyone so that by the time they died there wasn't much left (but they left me an incredible legacy of setting a generous, Christian example of how they lived their lives that has truly impacted me - I think this legacy was worth more than any monetary legacy I could have gotten!)

--hide--

If you've been on the bad end of watching your children get the shaft you wouldn't be shocked at all. My ex even had a will and she still disgregarded it and to this day my children got absolutely NOTHING from their father. She just ignored the will and my kids spent over 5,000 dollars fighting her until their $$ ran out and she walked away with EVERYTHING. I would have to have a pre-nup for my kids...they don't deserve that a 2nd time. I don't have a lot but they deserve to each get 1/3. If my spouse wanted anything, I'll take out a separate insurance policy for him. It was heartbreaking, she refused to even give my son a fishing pole ...and he loved fishing with his dad. She walked away with over 200 grand in money and propety and my adult sons got NOTHING. No pictures, no jewelry, nothing to ever remember their dad at all. He told me once, "I trust her, she will be fair" never knowing the greedy monster she would become. Death changes people in very strange ways.

07/05/2012 new

(Quote) Lorrie-735074 said: If you've been on the bad end of watching your children get the shaft you ...
(Quote) Lorrie-735074 said:

If you've been on the bad end of watching your children get the shaft you wouldn't be shocked at all. My ex even had a will and she still disgregarded it and to this day my children got absolutely NOTHING from their father. She just ignored the will and my kids spent over 5,000 dollars fighting her until their $$ ran out and she walked away with EVERYTHING. I would have to have a pre-nup for my kids...they don't deserve that a 2nd time. I don't have a lot but they deserve to each get 1/3. If my spouse wanted anything, I'll take out a separate insurance policy for him. It was heartbreaking, she refused to even give my son a fishing pole ...and he loved fishing with his dad. She walked away with over 200 grand in money and propety and my adult sons got NOTHING. No pictures, no jewelry, nothing to ever remember their dad at all. He told me once, "I trust her, she will be fair" never knowing the greedy monster she would become. Death changes people in very strange ways.

--hide--

I'm so sorry that happened to your children. And, yes, I've seen people get greedy about money after someone dies. But, as far as I know, a prenup can't be upheld any more than a will can. In other words, attorneys would have to be retained in the same manner. I think that what may be safer is to put assets into what is called a revocable trust (but I'm not a finance person, so not sure of this).

07/05/2012 new
Listen, I would give every last time to a person I was married to, HOWEVEr, I will do a prenup because there are military things and certain assets from my husband's death that will go to the five children he left behind. I would expect nothing less of whomever I marry, if I remarry. I think that after watching military widows who were the second wives fighting with the first wife and parents, I could do no less. If the two of us were to die together, it would stop bickering among family members. Right or wrong, this is how I feel.
07/06/2012 new

Actually in Michigan life insurance and pensions are the safest. They wouldn't budge on money my ex has designated to someone else. She tried calling and getting her hands on it and they said too bad, you are not the beneficiary.

07/08/2012 new

I am sure pre nups have been challenged but because they are a legal contract between two parties, I would hope they are not so easily overturned. A will on the other hand is made by only one person and we know that they have been overturned in the past. Just my opinion, I have no statistics to back it up.

07/08/2012 new

I agree that insurance is safe, but I have property that I want my children and grandchildren to enjoy. And I have been on the short end of the stick in the past, I know that the greedy monster shows it's face when the opportunity is right.

07/08/2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: (Quote) Loretta-841943 said: Have been wondering if the Catholic Church has...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

Quote:
Loretta-841943 said:

Have been wondering if the Catholic Church has a formal stand on pre-nups. Also would be interested in opinions on them from people in the 45 and over age group.

Loretta

This topic has been discussed in the forums at length on a number of occasions. You may want to do a forum search on terms such as prenup, pre-num, prenuptial, pre-nuptial to locate the topics.

Basically, pre-nuptial agreements are permitted only to provide for the disposition of pre-marital assets to children from previous marriages or other dependants in the event of death. Pre-nuptial agreements that have provisions for divorce are not permitted; in fact, pastors are not supposed to permit marriage if such agreements exist.

--hide--

I am a Lawyer. First of all there is a provision in canon law that the church is supposed to go through to review one - but MY REAL take on it is - those people have done the HARD work the the CHURCH has refused to do in GETTING people to THINK ABOUT and DISCUSS and BE READY for a life together. Pastors (by the way, here anyway we don't have PASTORS we have PRIEST ADMINISTRATORS), well I got to ask WHY ARE THERE SO MANY DIVORCED CATHOLICS?

07/08/2012 new

(Quote) Stephen-725391 said: WHY ARE THERE SO MANY DIVORCED CATHOLICS?
(Quote) Stephen-725391 said:

WHY ARE THERE SO MANY DIVORCED CATHOLICS?

--hide--

why are there so few annulled Catholics?

and WHY are you shouting? scratchchin

07/08/2012 new

(Quote) Cindy-57124 said: (Quote) Stephen-725391 said: WHY ARE THERE SO MANY DIVORCED CATHOL...
(Quote) Cindy-57124 said:

Quote:
Stephen-725391 said:

WHY ARE THERE SO MANY DIVORCED CATHOLICS?

why are there so few annulled Catholics?

and WHY are you shouting?

--hide--

Per my youngest duaghter's definition it's - CAP LOCK RAGE - not shouting. You ought to try it somethime it's so rewarding.

2nd question answered - there are more guiltless divorced protestant women out there than GUILT RIDDEN and CONTROLLED Catholic women. First was answered above.

Posts 11 - 20 of 44