Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

07/08/2012 new

Oh, by the way, I am proceeding to obtain an anullment to clean up the record, loose end really trip people up and should be taken care of, that is why Canon 1095.2 was legislated in 1983, 10 years after my wedding in 1973. The Church began tripping over it's loose ends. IMHO, of course!

07/09/2012 new

Just saw a blub on Yahoo news service that seniors are divorcing at a higher rate and it is recommended to do things to protect one's assets even in a long-term marital relationship. I am having serious thoughts that what I hear here on CM isn't enough to kill any thoughts of re-marriage because there is no mechanism in the Church (that I have seen) to evaluate, counsel and advise older people how to eliminate years of weird, misguided thinking!

07/09/2012 new

(Quote) Kathy-99973 said: I would think that the pre-nup would show that both spouses agree on the arrangement (...
(Quote) Kathy-99973 said:

I would think that the pre-nup would show that both spouses agree on the arrangement (disposition of assets to children from previous marriage, or to other family members).

The main thing to remember is to get a priest to approve the pre-nuptials prior to the Catholic wedding ceremony.

--hide--
The problem with a pre-nup agreement is that there is a logical assumption that the couple has reason to believe the marriage won't last, and that separation or divorce is a possibility. Therein lies the conflict about the marriage covenant (as opposed to a contract). The marriage vows are intended to be permanent in the eyes of the Church (founded upon God's law and teachings).

07/09/2012 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: (Quote) Kathy-99973 said: I would think that the pre-nup would s...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Quote:
Kathy-99973 said:

I would think that the pre-nup would show that both spouses agree on the arrangement (disposition of assets to children from previous marriage, or to other family members).

The main thing to remember is to get a priest to approve the pre-nuptials prior to the Catholic wedding ceremony.

The problem with a pre-nup agreement is that there is a logical assumption that the couple has reason to believe the marriage won't last, and that separation or divorce is a possibility. Therein lies the conflict about the marriage covenant (as opposed to a contract). The marriage vows are intended to be permanent in the eyes of the Church (founded upon God's law and teachings).

--hide--

Well, they (the Church) might be better off DOING instead of JUST looking to IMPROVE marriages by its ACTIVE (rather than the give a s*** attitude it has until all it can do is cork the wrong end) involvement with keeping couples TOGETHER - RADICAL idea, wouldn't you say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

07/09/2012 new

(Quote) Stephen-725391 said: Well, they (the Church) might be better off DOING instead of JUST looking to IMPROVE m...
(Quote) Stephen-725391 said:

Well, they (the Church) might be better off DOING instead of JUST looking to IMPROVE marriages by its ACTIVE (rather than the give a s*** attitude it has until all it can do is cork the wrong end) involvement with keeping couples TOGETHER - RADICAL idea, wouldn't you say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--hide--
Didn't find your comment to be a surprise, Stephen. The Church has been actively bolstering it's efforts to promote healthy, stable marriages. These efforts begin even before a marriage, with marriage preparation. There are many dioceses and/or individual Churches that promote programs to vitalize and re-vitalize marriages (a local example is "Date Your Mate"). On a widespread basis, there are Marriage Encounters, and for troubled (but potentially salvageable marriages) there is Retrouvaille.

Is there room for improvement? Certainly there is, and the same can be said for us as individuals. Are there pro-active efforts on the part of the Church with respect to healthy marriages? Certainly.

Just curious -- is there any other faith denomination that does more?

07/09/2012 new

Should have added that there are a number of Catholic therapists available, many at low or no cost through Catholic Charities. Also many priests have degrees in marriage counseling, and are more than happy to work with married couples who need help with their difficiulties.

07/09/2012 new

(Quote) Stephen-725391 said: Well, they (the Church) might be better off DOING instead of JUST looking to IMPROVE m...
(Quote) Stephen-725391 said:

--hide--
Many of us are able to criticize other people or institutions, but don't seem to come up with viable solutions. May I assume that you have offered your parish your plans and thoughts about how to improve what you dislike? We would be interested in reading about your ideas so that we can present them to our own parishes, all for the betterment of marriages.

07/09/2012 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: (Quote) Stephen-725391 said: Well, they (the Church) might be bette...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Quote:
Stephen-725391 said:

Didn't find your comment to be a surprise, Stephen. The Church has been actively bolstering it's efforts to promote healthy, stable marriages. These efforts begin even before a marriage, with marriage preparation. There are many dioceses and/or individual Churches that promote programs to vitalize and re-vitalize marriages (a local example is "Date Your Mate"). On a widespread basis, there are Marriage Encounters, and for troubled (but potentially salvageable marriages) there is Retrouvaille.

Is there room for improvement? Certainly there is, and the same can be said for us as individuals. Are there pro-active efforts on the part of the Church with respect to healthy marriages? Certainly.

Just curious -- is there any other faith denomination that does more?

--hide--

Like WHAT - I wasn't even interviewed by a priest - NOTHING! When did the Church start - YESTERDAY or was it TODAY?

07/09/2012 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: Should have added that there are a number of Catholic therapists available, many at low or no cost ...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Should have added that there are a number of Catholic therapists available, many at low or no cost through Catholic Charities. Also many priests have degrees in marriage counseling, and are more than happy to work with married couples who need help with their difficiulties.

--hide--

Sure like to know WHAT planet you practice Catholism on - DON'T sound like anything around here!

07/09/2012 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: (Quote) Stephen-725391 said: Well, they (the Church) might be bette...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Quote:
Stephen-725391 said:

Many of us are able to criticize other people or institutions, but don't seem to come up with viable solutions. May I assume that you have offered your parish your plans and thoughts about how to improve what you dislike? We would be interested in reading about your ideas so that we can present them to our own parishes, all for the betterment of marriages.

--hide--

I have been advised (by other Catholics) that I should be looking for a nice protestant without the Catholic Guilt complex and baggage! Of course, that goes over like a lead balloon - now doesn't it?

Posts 21 - 30 of 44