Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

02/17/2013 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: The problem with a pre-nup agreement is that there is a logical assumption that the couple has reas...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

The problem with a pre-nup agreement is that there is a logical assumption that the couple has reason to believe the marriage won't last, and that separation or divorce is a possibility. Therein lies the conflict about the marriage covenant (as opposed to a contract). The marriage vows are intended to be permanent in the eyes of the Church (founded upon God's law and teachings).

--hide--

Everything Ray writes is what I have heard about prenups. I am an estate planning attorney. A trust for husband and wife, each, can provide for their lives and the remainder to children from a previous marriage. Problem solved. I am a convert, but my understanding is that a prenup is a condition on the marriage. This condition is the fast tract to annulment, I have heard. It is also my understanding that a priest should not marry a couple if there is a pre nup. Personally as a Catholic attorney, I feel that I am not able to prepare them for couples. I always refer them to someone else.

02/21/2013 new

This is something I too am concerned about. I am financially quite stable and have just enough to support me in my retirement, and also to provide for my children. I have a trust which was set up with my late husband and our two children. I believe God provides for all my needs, however I also believe in being wise and prudent. I believe in loving till death do us apart, however I have seen many Catholic marriages where both were strong Catholics break up. I have seen property being taken away and the poor wife struggling. I do not want any of this to happen to me or my children. It is not that I am going into marriage with an door half open to escape. I will do all it takes as I believe Marriage is a symbol of Christ and his church. I want to believe in my man 100% and so I am confused. Should I put my children's future and my future at risk. These are difficult questions and these are concerns that may come in the way of me committing. scratchchin

02/21/2013 new
(Quote) Loretta-841943 said: Have been wondering if the Catholic Church has a formal stand on pre-nups. Also would be interested in opini...
(Quote) Loretta-841943 said:

Have been wondering if the Catholic Church has a formal stand on pre-nups. Also would be interested in opinions on them from people in the 45 and over age group.

Loretta

--hide--
I just had to say... I LOVE YOUR NAME
02/21/2013 new
(Quote) Stephen-725391 said: (Quote) Ray-566531 said: (Quote) Stephen-725391 said: ...
(Quote) Stephen-725391 said:

Quote:
Ray-566531 said:

Quote:
Stephen-725391 said:

Well, they (the Church) might be better off DOING instead of JUST looking to IMPROVE marriages by its ACTIVE (rather than the give a s*** attitude it has until all it can do is cork the wrong end) involvement with keeping couples TOGETHER - RADICAL idea, wouldn't you say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many of us are able to criticize other people or institutions, but don't seem to come up with viable solutions. May I assume that you have offered your parish your plans and thoughts about how to improve what you dislike? We would be interested in reading about your ideas so that we can present them to our own parishes, all for the betterment of marriages.

I have been advised (by other Catholics) that I should be looking for a nice protestant without the Catholic Guilt complex and baggage! Of course, that goes over like a lead balloon - now doesn't it?

--hide--
WOW! Where is the little emote with the eyes popping out? WOW!
Posts 41 - 44 of 44