Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion of sports, non-video games & hobbies! Football, baseball, basketball, hockey, or your own personal favorite. Brag about your team and explain why the refs blew the big game! Discuss your passion for Corn Hole, Horseshoes,Texas Hold'em or other games.

Saint Christopher is the patron saint of the playing field.
Learn More:Saint Christopher

07/12/2012 new

(Quote) Jim-624621 said: Since I am recovering from cancer surgery, I started about a month ago swimming laps at a fitness c...
(Quote) Jim-624621 said:

Since I am recovering from cancer surgery, I started about a month ago swimming laps at a fitness center I joned for this purpose. When I started, I could not swim 3 laps, and I had to quit. Today I did 16 laps in under 15 minutes. Now I am increasing one lap per day, and it is time to start weight training.

I am trying to get myself back into shape so I can go cave diving again. My goal is to be able to go back into a cave sometime in August in Florida. I love the springs there. The water is always around 68 degrees, but we know how to dress for it. I picked up all 8 of my tanks from Marianna, FL in June where they were all recertified for another year of service. I am looking forward to it. :-)

--hide--

Cave diving! Be safe, Jim! All the best!

smile

07/12/2012 new

(Quote) Laura-695247 said: I learned to dive in Honduras on the Island of Utila but I have done a lot of snorkeling and I th...
(Quote) Laura-695247 said:

I learned to dive in Honduras on the Island of Utila but I have done a lot of snorkeling and I think depending on the location you can see just as much. My very favorite is the great barrier in Australia. I love the (either black tip or white tip) sharks. I forget which one...and the giant clams....my other favorite was a night snorkel on the on the island of Roatan. All the octopus come out at night!

--hide--

I also tried a night dive in Grand Cayman ... on a ship wreak down about 40 feet ... the octopus were rather interesting ... their heads were about the size of a man's fist, not very big; tentacles about a foot long. Also saw shrimp with their beady, gleaming little eyes flashing back at us when we pointed our flashlights at them ... too cute!

smile

07/13/2012 new
(Quote) Jim-624621 said: Well I didn't start out cave diving. I started out in open water like everyone else. Cave divin...
(Quote) Jim-624621 said:

Well I didn't start out cave diving. I started out in open water like everyone else. Cave diving is specialized technical diving, and it isn't for everyone. I go through some very small passages, sometimes having to remove tanks to fit through. It is exploration as much as it is adventure. There is a certain risk to it, and that adds to the excitement. Fortunately, I have sufficient training to complete the dives safely, and I always dive within the limits of my training.

Regarding the alligators, some of the more remote cave systems have gators running around the surface. We also have snakes to deal with. Most of them are more afraid of us than we are of them, and it has never been a problem.

--hide--
I love scuba and snorkeling but I am afraid of snakes, sharks that want to eat me, and cavs diving. Laugh. It is something I want to do again. It has been a few years.
07/13/2012 new

(Quote) Linda-756196 said: I love scuba and snorkeling but I am afraid of snakes, sharks that want to eat me, and cavs diving. Laug...
(Quote) Linda-756196 said: I love scuba and snorkeling but I am afraid of snakes, sharks that want to eat me, and cavs diving. Laugh. It is something I want to do again. It has been a few years.
--hide--

I have swum with sharks. They really aren't out to get you. They are just another fish in the ocean. Was it Jimmy Buffet who sang about the sharks that live on the land? They are more dangerous.

07/13/2012 new
Laugh--note to self. Avoid the baraccudas on land.
07/13/2012 new

Oh! I've been SCUBA diving in Cozumel, Mexico back when I was a kid. It was beautiful. I'd really like to be certified so I can go around here, but there just never seems to be enough time in the week (or money in the pocket.).

07/13/2012 new
(Quote) Linda-756196 said: I love scuba and snorkeling but I am afraid of snakes, sharks that want to eat me, and cavs diving. Laugh. It is...
(Quote) Linda-756196 said: I love scuba and snorkeling but I am afraid of snakes, sharks that want to eat me, and cavs diving. Laugh. It is something I want to do again. It has been a few years.
--hide--

Since I started this thread, I should start putting in some of my dives, huh? One of my best dives were off the coast of Wrightsville Beach, N.C. Two different dives on two different wrecks. We were searching for sand tiger sharks. No sharks on the first wreck, but there were about 70 to 80 Great Barracudas. Awesome!! Lots of fish on both wrecks. Collected several shark teeth from the 2nd wreck, but saw no sharks there either. After I was back on the boat, a couple of other divers said there had been 6 sand tigers around the propellers. Wouldn't you know, that was the only part of the wreck I had not explored. boggled
07/21/2012 new

Best dive so far, I would say Raja Ampat in Indonesia, seeing several manta rays in a manta ray cleaning station was awesome. Being a serious amateur underwater photographer, I also enjoy finding little critters to photograph, and there was an abundance of those also there. Worst dive, I would say Dutch Springs in Eastern Pennsylvania, too cold for me, consumed air too fast! I am pretty much a warm-water diver. Maybe at some point I'll look into cold-water diving again, but not now.

07/21/2012 new

(Quote) Edward-512961 said: SCUBA came up in another thread, so thought I would start this one. What was your best dive, or favorit...
(Quote) Edward-512961 said: SCUBA came up in another thread, so thought I would start this one. What was your best dive, or favorite place to dive? Your scariest or most dangerous dive? What is your fantasy dive? Or your most disappointing one?
--hide--

I tried snorkeling with my sister about two years ago, but do not plan on scuba diving any time soon.

07/21/2012 new
(Quote) Indrayana-136357 said: Best dive so far, I would say Raja Ampat in Indonesia, seeing several manta rays in a manta ray cleaning st...
(Quote) Indrayana-136357 said:

Best dive so far, I would say Raja Ampat in Indonesia, seeing several manta rays in a manta ray cleaning station was awesome. Being a serious amateur underwater photographer, I also enjoy finding little critters to photograph, and there was an abundance of those also there. Worst dive, I would say Dutch Springs in Eastern Pennsylvania, too cold for me, consumed air too fast! I am pretty much a warm-water diver. Maybe at some point I'll look into cold-water diving again, but not now.

--hide--

Considering where you live, a dry suit is your best bet. From the north Atlantic coast to the Great Lakes, there are some very good dive sites. If you're prepared for the cold.
Posts 11 - 20 of 35