Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

Learning Latin!

07/07/2012 new

I'm struggling to learn Latin. Does anybody know any good tips or programmes/resources to help?

07/07/2012 new
(Quote) Mark-642218 said: I'm struggling to learn Latin. Does anybody know any good tips or programmes/resources to help?
(Quote) Mark-642218 said:

I'm struggling to learn Latin. Does anybody know any good tips or programmes/resources to help?

--hide--

I studied Latin for 4-1/2 years. It is not the easiest language for adults to learn. I learned it as a boy. Now I attend Latin mass every Sunday, and I enjoy it very much.

The first and most basic things you need to know are all of the endings for all the masculine, feminine and neuter forms and for every case and tense. That is a lot of work right there.

Sum Es Est Sumus Estis Sunt

Bam Bas Bat Bamis Batis Bant

Ero Eris Erit Erimus Eritis Erunt

Etc...

I used to have some Latin flash cards, but I gave them to my son when he was studying Latin at Jesuit about 10 years ago. I would suggest that to help you with the vocabulary

agricola, agricolae - farmer

amo, amare, amavi, amatus - love, like

And so on...

Good luck!
07/08/2012 new
rosetta stone :)
07/08/2012 new

(Quote) Mark-642218 said: I'm struggling to learn Latin. Does anybody know any good tips or programmes/resources to help...

--hide--

I've been trying to do that in my spare time for the past year or so also. I've been using the documents posted here, which have been very useful.

www.bishopleland.org

07/09/2012 new

boggled Oh man, Mark, I soooo wish that Mrs. Mathot was still alive....She was my Latin teacher in high school in the 60's, and it was drill, drill, drill, DRILL!!!

Yep, do those verb conjugations and vocab like the good man several before me suggested....porta portas portat portamus portatus portant! faint

07/09/2012 new

I am trying to say the rosary in latin now, and would like to learn more.

07/13/2012 new

Thanks everyone for the advice. I appreciate it.

07/22/2012 new

Mark,

Do you want to learn Latin comprehensively, or just to be able to read the Missal and the Mass?

If the former, the best by far is the Cambridge Latin system (www.cambridgescp.com. I learned Latin on my own through this system after struggling with others (such as Wheelock's). Strongly recommended.

If the latter, I think the two-part series of "Latin Grammar" and "Second Latin" by Scanlon is the best. The total number of conjugations you need to know for ecclesiastical is less than for classical anyway. You really don't even need to read through both books. Get through the first one, and then practice writing out by hand some of the masses from the missal and then learning every word. You will find the vocabulary very repetitive, and by the time you've written out maybe two - let's say ten pages of handwritten Latin total - you will be able to read almost anything from the others.

(Quote) Mark-642218 said: I'm struggling to learn Latin. Does anybody know any good tips or programmes/resources to help...

--hide--

Posts 1 - 9 of 9