Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for supportive and informative discussion about divorce and/or the annulment process. All posters must have been previously divorced or annulled.

Saint Eugene De Mazenod is patron of dysfunctional families & Saint Fabiola obtained a divorce from her first husband prior to devoting her life to charitable works.
Learn More: Saint Eugene De Mazenod and Saint Fabiola

theheart rosary
rosary

I have a question about marriage, divorce, etc. in the Catholic church.

If a man and woman separate after being married in the Catholic church and have two children; they get a civil divorce; both remarry in a civil marriage; the man's new wife (after 20 years of marriage) decides to study, get baptized, make her communion, and confirmation and become Catholic; ............can he and his 2nd wife get married in the church without him getting an annulment of his first marriage?

faint

07/14/2012 new

(Quote) Sandra-471894 said: I have a question about marriage, divorce, etc. in the Catholic church.
(Quote) Sandra-471894 said:

If a man and woman separate after being married in the Catholic church and have two children; they get a civil divorce; both remarry in a civil marriage; the man's new wife (after 20 years of marriage) decides to study, get baptized, make her communion, and confirmation and become Catholic; ............can he and his 2nd wife get married in the church without him getting an annulment of his first marriage?

--hide--

Not to my knowledge. In the eyes of the church, the first marriage is the only valid one. Both couples are living in sin regardless of what the state thinks.

07/14/2012 new
It shouldn't take too long for the man to get the annulment for his first marriage, but he would need one before he can be married in the Catholic Church. If his new wife is Catholic and he is not, has he looked into the Catholic teachings yet? When the couple desires to go through the Cathy Church to.have a Catholic ceremony, even with a decade of a civil marriage they will still go through marriage preparation classes.
07/15/2012 new

(Quote) Sandra-471894 said: I have a question about marriage, divorce, etc. in the Catholic church.

--hide--

I need to throw another wrench in here. I do not think that wife number two can be go beyond baptism until his annulment is complete. We have a couple in my church. They have a civil marriage. Her first marriage is in the annulment process, and he chose to join the church. He can not be confirmed until her annulment is complete as he is living with a married woman. I'm not sure how clear that sounds. I just know he completed the RCIA program, but couldn't be confirmed with the rest of the group this past Easter.

07/15/2012 new

(Quote) Sandra-471894 said: I have a question about marriage, divorce, etc. in the Catholic church.I...

--hide--

Simple answer: "No"

If the priest is aware of the situation, he will encouarge the man to get an annulment so the current wife can receive the Eucharist and be Confirmed. Until all the facts are presented, no one can guess at how long the annulment may take, but I have seen marriages annulled in a very short time due to lack of form. The fact that the current wife wants to become Catholic indicates God's grace in this situation.

07/15/2012 new

I would be very surprized that the parish would let her go through RCIA living in a marriage that isn't recognised by the church.. I have heard from some divorced people that weren't Catholic that were discouraged for entering an RCIA program until they obtained an annulment.. It seems to be different everywhere..

07/16/2012 new

--hide--

Hi Sandra,

The answer is NO.

07/19/2012 new

Again, the short answer is no based on what I've learned.

The good news is that both parties of the second marriage can begin living as siblings. It could be a great second marriage prep to refrain from sexual relations while going through the annulment process. If one were brave enough to make such a commitment, I would suggest sleeping in different beds, prayer, and spiritual direction. Communication between spouses would be essential, and so would private prayer. Prayer as a couple would help.

It is a time for great rejoicing when a person makes a commitment to live in Christ as a member of the Church. My ex-wife has made that commitment even though she doesn't want anything to do with me. But God works in mysterious ways.

Oh, in case I didn't mention it, prayer is important. smile

07/23/2012 new

(Quote) Keith-754596 said: Again, the short answer is no based on what I've learned. The good news is that both p...
(Quote) Keith-754596 said:

Again, the short answer is no based on what I've learned.

The good news is that both parties of the second marriage can begin living as siblings. It could be a great second marriage prep to refrain from sexual relations while going through the annulment process. If one were brave enough to make such a commitment, I would suggest sleeping in different beds, prayer, and spiritual direction. Communication between spouses would be essential, and so would private prayer. Prayer as a couple would help.

It is a time for great rejoicing when a person makes a commitment to live in Christ as a member of the Church. My ex-wife has made that commitment even though she doesn't want anything to do with me. But God works in mysterious ways.

Oh, in case I didn't mention it, prayer is important.

--hide--

They lived together under a legal cival marriage for over 20 years. He and his first wife never got an annulment. Two years ago the second wife goes through the religious classes and was baptized, made her first communion, and confirmatin all in one day.

They are still under a cival marriage.

07/23/2012 new

(Quote) Donna-83441 said: I would be very surprized that the parish would let her go through RCIA living in a marriage that ...
(Quote) Donna-83441 said:

I would be very surprized that the parish would let her go through RCIA living in a marriage that isn't recognised by the church.. I have heard from some divorced people that weren't Catholic that were discouraged for entering an RCIA program until they obtained an annulment.. It seems to be different everywhere..

--hide--

theheart Yes, it does seem to be different everywhere. Different rules for some. I remember back in the 60's and 70's the church was very conformed with "same rules for everyone"; but seems if circumstances dictate; a Priest may allow rules to be bent or altered.

hhmmm..........

interesting how things change.....................

theheart except Christ

Posts 1 - 10 of 18