Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

09/23/2012 new

A funny thing happened today, after Mass this morning, I went to the Church parking lot and got in my car. I started the car and noticed and long white strip of paper under my windshield wiper; looking around at the other cars I saw everybody had this strip of paper. So, I got out of the car and got it. Here is what it said. "For the husband is head of the wife,as also Christ is head of the church; & He is the Savior of the body. -Ephesians 5:23.

I thought 1st For the husband is head of the wife. Now that is quite a statement, and I didn't know what to do with it. And why is this on my car? Wonder if everybody got the same thing? And if not, why did I get this one?

09/23/2012 new

I sense some sexual tension between you two.

laughing

09/23/2012 new

(Quote) Lina-796057 said: I sense some sexual tension between you two.
(Quote) Lina-796057 said:

--hide--

Oh, dear. Not quoting can certainly cause confusion.
That remark was ribbing Donna & Stephen.

Cindy, that was an interesting thing to happen for you today. Probably needs some praying over to see what it means for you.

09/23/2012 new

(Quote) Lina-796057 said: (Quote) Lina-796057 said: I sense some sexual tension between you two. ...

Quote:
Lina-796057 said:

Oh, dear. Not quoting can certainly cause confusion.
That remark was ribbing Donna & Stephen.

Cindy, that was an interesting thing to happen for you today. Probably needs some praying over to see what it means for you.

--hide--

Well thanks for that, cause I was already confused, and when I read that, I suddenly didn't understand anything! laughing

Further, why do I need to pray? I didn't ask for that.

09/23/2012 new

(Quote) Lina-796057 said: I sense some sexual tension between you two.

--hide--

rolling eyes

09/23/2012 new

(Quote) Cindy-534370 said: Well thanks for that, cause I was already confused, and when I read that, I suddenly didn't u...
(Quote) Cindy-534370 said:

Well thanks for that, cause I was already confused, and when I read that, I suddenly didn't understand anything!

--hide--

You wrote that you wondered why you got it. If I had received it on my car, and it was such an out-of-the-blue odd thing to get, I think right away, "Hmm. God, is there something truly for me in this message?" And then I ponder how it might apply to me.
That's all I meant.
embarassed

09/24/2012 new

(Quote) Lina-796057 said: (Quote) Cindy-534370 said: Well thanks for that, cause I was already confus...

Quote:
Cindy-534370 said:

Well thanks for that, cause I was already confused, and when I read that, I suddenly didn't understand anything!

You wrote that you wondered why you got it. If I had received it on my car, and it was such an out-of-the-blue odd thing to get, I think right away, "Hmm. God, is there something truly for me in this message?" And then I ponder how it might apply to me.
That's all I meant.

--hide--

I understood what you meant, the message is just odd to me. Thanks for answering. biggrin

09/24/2012 new

(Quote) Donna-83441 said: Your whole statement is there..I didn't quote you out of context.. I simple asked...
(Quote) Donna-83441 said:

Your whole statement is there..I didn't quote you out of context.. I simple asked for an explanation of why you are singling out women as the evil parties here..

--hide--

You did not put in Lina's statement to which I was addressing my comments. Enuf said!

09/24/2012 new

(Quote) Stephen-725391 said: You did not put in Lina's statement to which I was addressing my comments. Enuf sa...
(Quote) Stephen-725391 said:

You did not put in Lina's statement to which I was addressing my comments. Enuf said!

--hide--

I wasn't questioning Lina..I was questioning YOU and why you always need to blame everything on women and generalise that we are all feminists and therefore undeserving of having a spouse. Enuf said!

09/24/2012 new

(Quote) Cindy-534370 said: A funny thing happened today, after Mass this morning, I went to the Church parking lot and got i...
(Quote) Cindy-534370 said:

A funny thing happened today, after Mass this morning, I went to the Church parking lot and got in my car. I started the car and noticed and long white strip of paper under my windshield wiper; looking around at the other cars I saw everybody had this strip of paper. So, I got out of the car and got it. Here is what it said. "For the husband is head of the wife,as also Christ is head of the church; & He is the Savior of the body. -Ephesians 5:23.

I thought 1st For the husband is head of the wife. Now that is quite a statement, and I didn't know what to do with it. And why is this on my car? Wonder if everybody got the same thing? And if not, why did I get this one?

--hide--

The problem, as often happens when the Bible is quoted, is that the statement is taken completely out of context and incomplete.

In this part of the Epistle, St. Paul is talking about the relations between husband and wife and likens their relationship to that between Christ and His Bride, the Church. And in saying that the husband is the head of the marriage body and the wife is subject o him as the head, he lays a very serious obligation on the husband.. The clearest expression of that duty to the wife is that he love her as he loves himself with all that implies. He reminds his readers that husband and wife are one.

By comparing the role of husband and wife to that of Christ and His Church he raises the place of marriage to a very high level as well as that of the wife.

Remember he was writing to people in a culture that treated wives as possessions. And he was teaching that they were not.

Whoever left that snippet appears to me to believe that men are to be dictators within a marriage. A total distortion of Paul's message.

Posts 181 - 190 of 200