Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: You must sign in before expressing interest in this event.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

giving home email

07/20/2012 new

I am really new to this internet meeting....so my question is when a guy shows interest but says email me on my other email address ( other than the site email) or request my home email to "better discuss things", what should I do. From the profiles these guys look sincere, but I do question why they want to get off the match site to email. Am I being duped or bring taken advantage of due to my inexperience, or am I being too uptight and rigid about the whole thing??

Thanks for your thoughts or experience on this,

Corrine

07/20/2012 new

(Quote) Corrine-875127 said: I am really new to this internet meeting....so my question is when a guy shows interest but say...
(Quote) Corrine-875127 said:

I am really new to this internet meeting....so my question is when a guy shows interest but says email me on my other email address ( other than the site email) or request my home email to "better discuss things", what should I do. From the profiles these guys look sincere, but I do question why they want to get off the match site to email. Am I being duped or bring taken advantage of due to my inexperience, or am I being too uptight and rigid about the whole thing??

Corrine

--hide--

I would recommend NOT giving out your real email address. Instead, create an account using a free email service (e.g., Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo) to use for CM (or other social network) communication. If necessary, you can delete the account and create a new one without having to give a new address to all your personal contacts. Note that the name of the new account should not include personal information such as a last name.

Similarly, Google Voice can be used to create a free alias phone number that will ring on your home and/or mobile phone without divulging the permanent number.

07/20/2012 new

Thank you Jerry for the advice. I never thought about setting up another email address. But does that answer my question of is it par for the course to want to go to different email address other than the site to communicate? I am a little anxious about going to another email site to receive emails that might contain vulgar or implicit statements.

Thanks again,

Corrine

07/20/2012 new

(Quote) Corrine-875127 said: Thank you Jerry for the advice. I never thought about setting up another email address. But doe...

Thank you Jerry for the advice. I never thought about setting up another email address. But does that answer my question of is it par for the course to want to go to different email address other than the site to communicate? I am a little anxious about going to another email site to receive emails that might contain vulgar or implicit statements.

Thanks again,

Corrine

--hide--

Many people prefer to use off-site chat and email due to the limitations of the CM features (more so for chat than email).

Regardless of what others do, if you're not comfortable moving to off-site communication, don't. If the person won't accept that, they're not the right person for you. NEXT!

07/20/2012 new

(Quote) Corrine-875127 said: I am really new to this internet meeting....so my question is when a guy shows interest but say...

Corrine

--hide--

Scammers will try to get you off site quickly. If you don't feel comfortable doing it then stay on site. If the man does not respect your wishes then you are better off with out him.

07/20/2012 new

Thank you for the good advice. Thought maybe scammers might be lurking on sites like these---really a shame.

07/21/2012 new

Corrine

--hide--

Welcome, Corrine ... post often! rose rose rose

I would not give out my personal email address to someone I don't know .... how well do you know these guys? (not very well, right) .... I would wait until well after you've met and have gotten to know his temperament and interests. Don't want to frighten you, but there are a lot of scammers out here ... be careful!

smile

07/22/2012 new

Corrine

--hide--

In addition to a free email account, your own internet carrier might offer multiple e-mail accounts. You can take advantage of that. I have several e-mail accounts. And I agree with everyone who recommends you stay in your comfort zone and that anyone who wants to take you off site is a scammer. We all know this from personal experience. Always trust you gut feeling. If something feels wrong, it probably is.

07/22/2012 new

In my experience, an individual who asks for your personal e-mail address on the initial contact is either a scammer or a very gutsy person. Once a person lures you off this site, that person can send you any type of e-mail or photos. While on CM, you're somewhat protected in that you can report inappropriate behavior. To answer your question, it's an unequivocal "No"; you're not being paranoid or uptight when you refuse to release personal contact information.

07/22/2012 new

(Quote) Teresa-525463 said: In my experience, an individual who asks for your personal e-mail address on the initial contact...
(Quote) Teresa-525463 said:

In my experience, an individual who asks for your personal e-mail address on the initial contact is either a scammer or a very gutsy person. Once a person lures you off this site, that person can send you any type of e-mail or photos. While on CM, you're somewhat protected in that you can report inappropriate behavior. To answer your question, it's an unequivocal "No"; you're not being paranoid or uptight when you refuse to release personal contact information.

--hide--
Thank you all for the good advice. Makes me feel more comfortable about saying no and not huring feelings. I suppose if someone really wanted to develop a relationship, they would via the progrma's site,

Posts 1 - 10 of 12