Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share
For discussion that revolves around a place, state, or country.

I have a friend from high school living in Chicago. She has been diagnosed with Stage 4 Cancer and is undergoing round four of chemo. She has some friends and a support group that she's attending twice a week as she is up to it. She also took a serious hit when her cousin died unexpectedly a couple of weeks ago. He had intended to stay with her through this round of chemo, and she has scrambled for someone to be with her as most of the family is back in New York.

Does anyone know of a support group, respite care, volunteer system or anything up there? I'm so far away and I feel helpless. Just wish I could wrap her up and hold her until it's all better, but I can't.

Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Jul 20th 2012 new

Contact the American Cancer Society and ask them what is available in her area. That would be a good place to start.

Jul 20th 2012 new

Will do. I think I'm still in shock more than anything. I've been following on Caring Bridge since just after her surgery. It wasn't until yesterday that she finally told the rest of us that she was stage 4. Her faith is unwavering, and her upbeat attitude gave me NO clue it was this advanced.

Many thanks for your reply. hug

Jul 20th 2012 new

What about Gilda's Club?

www.gildasclubchicago.org

Is she Catholic? Do you know what parish or area of town she is in?

Jul 20th 2012 new

(Quote) Pat-5351 said: What about Gilda's Club? www.gildasclubchicago.org Is she Catholic...
(Quote) Pat-5351 said:

What about Gilda's Club?

www.gildasclubchicago.org

Is she Catholic? Do you know what parish or area of town she is in?

--hide--

Thanks for asking Pat. I did find out that she is a member at Gilda's Club, and is going to support group there at least twice a week. She's presbyterian, but her faith is really strong. I think that's why it did take me by surprise to find out what her staging is. She's been so positive. This is going to sound strange, it reminds me of the episode of Murphy Brown when she went to the support group. Sarah Jessica Parker was a guest. When Murphy asked her about staging, she smiled and said, 'Stage Four.' They went on to have a discussion about attitude, etc. This feels the same way. I felt just as blind sided as she looked at the news.

Please keep her in your prayers. I've been reaching out, but up until Christian died, she was keeping pretty tight lipped. She's hurting over it, but for me, it's like God gave her a gift. She knows she has someone waiting, and she's been able to open up with family and friends about what's in store for her. That has to sound bizarre. I'm clutching.

Jul 21st 2012 new

Praying theheart

(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said: I have a friend from high school living in Chicago. She has been diagnosed with Stage 4 Cance...
(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said:

I have a friend from high school living in Chicago. She has been diagnosed with Stage 4 Cancer and is undergoing round four of chemo. She has some friends and a support group that she's attending twice a week as she is up to it. She also took a serious hit when her cousin died unexpectedly a couple of weeks ago. He had intended to stay with her through this round of chemo, and she has scrambled for someone to be with her as most of the family is back in New York.

Does anyone know of a support group, respite care, volunteer system or anything up there? I'm so far away and I feel helpless. Just wish I could wrap her up and hold her until it's all better, but I can't.

Any ideas would be most appreciated.

--hide--

Virtually every hospital here, has oncology social workers that are truly the most informed people about what is available in terms of support, respite care, etc. As Pat asked too, it makes a difference if she is in Chicago or one of the suburbs. And, if she's in Chicago, what neighborhood or area of the city she is in. Do you know where she lives or what kind of support she really needs the most? Many of the hospitals will provide transportation to and from hospital for chemo/radiation treatments. Also, depending on what type of cancer - ie., breast cancer, ovarian cancer, colon cancer, brain cancer, there are organizations for each of these particular types of cancer and I have heard that some of them do provide some support (in particular, I've heard this about the brain cancer organization/association). I think the big question now would be is she able to live on her own, can she get by with occasional LPN coming in, or does she really need someone there 24/7. We will certainly all pray for her.

Jul 21st 2012 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: Virtually every hospital here, has oncology social workers that are truly the most info...
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said:

Virtually every hospital here, has oncology social workers that are truly the most informed people about what is available in terms of support, respite care, etc. As Pat asked too, it makes a difference if she is in Chicago or one of the suburbs. And, if she's in Chicago, what neighborhood or area of the city she is in. Do you know where she lives or what kind of support she really needs the most? Many of the hospitals will provide transportation to and from hospital for chemo/radiation treatments. Also, depending on what type of cancer - ie., breast cancer, ovarian cancer, colon cancer, brain cancer, there are organizations for each of these particular types of cancer and I have heard that some of them do provide some support (in particular, I've heard this about the brain cancer organization/association). I think the big question now would be is she able to live on her own, can she get by with occasional LPN coming in, or does she really need someone there 24/7. We will certainly all pray for her.

--hide--

Patricia, Thank you. I did find out that she is involved with Gilda's House. She lives on her own, but has been released from her visiting nurse as her incision is completely healed. Beyond that, I really don't have a lot more information. I think I was/am just feeling really helpless to see such a vibrant lady stricken. I have to wait for her to reach out. Thank you very much for your concern and kind words. I'll keep you all posted as I know more, or can narrow the field a bit.

Jul 22nd 2012 new

One of my dearest friends had stage IV endometrial cancer as of last summer, and she now has "no evidence of disease." So anything can still happen. Have hope! Praying

Jul 22nd 2012 new

(Quote) Pat-5351 said: One of my dearest friends had stage IV endometrial cancer as of last summer, and she now has "no...
(Quote) Pat-5351 said:

One of my dearest friends had stage IV endometrial cancer as of last summer, and she now has "no evidence of disease." So anything can still happen. Have hope!

--hide--

That's wonderful!! I have her in my prayers, and if positive attitude will bring her through, nothing is stopping her! Many thanks for such an upbeat story!

Posts 1 - 9 of 9