Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion on entertainment, movies, television, jokes or light-hearted topics. Please keep discussion clean and appropriate for a Catholic site.

Saint Vitus is the patron saint of actors, comedians, dancers, and of entertainers in general.
Learn More:Saint Vitus

Aug 11th 2012 new
I like them. I have for most of my life, ever since my introduction to Lord of the Rings via the film book of the Ralph Bakshi movie during story time in bed(I'd never even heard of it, before). I wouldn't know about a stigma. I can see it with movies, TV shows, and comic books, but not really in books. As far as "exploring", I find Frank Herbert hits ALL of those issues, and I've found the Dune books very helpful in my life.
Aug 13th 2012 new

(Quote) Matthew-443387 said: I like them. I have for most of my life, ever since my introduction to Lord of the Rings via the film ...
(Quote) Matthew-443387 said: I like them. I have for most of my life, ever since my introduction to Lord of the Rings via the film book of the Ralph Bakshi movie during story time in bed(I'd never even heard of it, before). I wouldn't know about a stigma. I can see it with movies, TV shows, and comic books, but not really in books. As far as "exploring", I find Frank Herbert hits ALL of those issues, and I've found the Dune books very helpful in my life.
--hide--

Thanks for your response Matthew. Yes the Ralph Bakshi version is great. IT sure brings me memories. About the stigma, it is a problem to us. Just go on a date with a woman. When she finds out you like that, or worse if you write that as a hobby like me, watch how she politely walks away......

Nov 29th 2012 new

1-Not really. Tolkien wrote about fairy stories, which are meant for adults. Children believing a giant living in the backyard are not that different if they enjoy Tolkien's works...what I heard from kids anyway.

2-What stigma? Those that are in the group-mind do not like those that are free-thinkers since free-thinkers are harder to control.

3-More so than non-fiction. One of the best chapters of Lord of the Rings was not explored in the films - Scouring of the Shire. It is one of the last chapters. If you want to know what facism looks like, how it grows, and how it is not stopped by the populace, then just read that chapter alone - no need to read the earlier chapters. That chapter is pure reality except for one scene of Saruman's spirit. The take-away from that chapter: facism is taken down from an OUTSIDE force!

Anyone like to comment?

God bless!

Posts 31 - 33 of 33