Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

08/21/2012 new

(Quote) Lynn-189934 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: This may be true- But if the other partn...
(Quote) Lynn-189934 said:

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

This may be true- But if the other partner is open, it may be not as hard. It depends on how many various 'extra beliefs' the trad is asking the person to believe while they are in relationship with the traditional person. I say this with all due respect and probably should share this just privately, I suppose.
I know various Christians of all types who believe in various conspiracy theories( I have been watching some videos) and every one is another belief one can choose to believe or not. Each one complicates the goal of finding someone. I saw a video recently that believes that EWTN is the work of the devil, so there are many varied beliefs out there which are looking at everyone else with suspicion. I am not surprised- as we live in VERY unstable and scary times. But Jesus said to us "Do not be afraid."

Growing up as a child, the movies had me enamored of Traditional Catholic practices. . . .now, I would be okay dating/marrying a lady who wore dresses and skirts most of the time, if she felt it helped her spiritually, but they'd still have to be modern and in style---not the mennonite denim skirts. . . blech. I'm afraid its an hour's drive to an authorized TLM, or a little less to unauthorized, and I'm not really into the movement, as most TLM Catholics here are pro-homeschooling, etc. and I'm not into that movement at all.

--hide--

It sounds like you want to be somewhat Traditional Catholic but some aspects of the fashion, are a little too much for your taste. That is understandable.. In Kansas I can imagine it blends with the culture in a certain "Prairie" way. Out here in CA I have not seen much of this style you do not like and when I see it in this state- it just does not bother me really because usually one can wear things and it looks more hippyish- (and we are supposedly so depraved in California..) due to Hollywood influences..I don't see the full prairie style - ever- in CA..

Maybe a new thread is in order. Let me know if you start one.

08/21/2012 new

(Quote) Lynn-189934 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: Can you show me an example of a Mennonit...

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

Can you show me an example of a Mennonite denim skirt? I am wondering what look you refer to.

blueeyedbeautyblogg.blogspot.com

This, only often with Western Style blouses or boots for those that are progressive, and usually braided hair or bun. . . Nicki on Big Love---I should have said it was LDS polygamy clothing. . . . :)

--hide--

I see a lot of women who only wear part of the look. Like the bun but with slitted peasant sleeves showing the shoulder, or a long skirt with a tighter blouse. I think that this solves the fashion dilemma so it does not look so stiff, boxy and bulky.

08/21/2012 new

In one video I saw- I don't know where- the persons were saying that Michael Voris is not good either and I think that was the same one that was suspicious of EWTN. There is a lot of division at this time, like that. Too bad. theheart We have to pray a lot.

08/21/2012 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: In one video I saw- I don't know where- the persons were saying that Michael Voris is not goo...
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

In one video I saw- I don't know where- the persons were saying that Michael Voris is not good either and I think that was the same one that was suspicious of EWTN. There is a lot of division at this time, like that. Too bad. We have to pray a lot.

--hide--
Human nature.It's always been that way.

08/22/2012 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: It sounds like you want to be somewhat Traditional Catholic but some aspects of the fashi...

It sounds like you want to be somewhat Traditional Catholic but some aspects of the fashion, are a little too much for your taste. That is understandable.. In Kansas I can imagine it blends with the culture in a certain "Prairie" way. Out here in CA I have not seen much of this style you do not like and when I see it in this state- it just does not bother me really because usually one can wear things and it looks more hippyish- (and we are supposedly so depraved in California..) due to Hollywood influences..I don't see the full prairie style - ever- in CA..

--hide--

I did, in this forum. . . I want to know if its part of their beliefs or just a local practice to stand out as different. . .like Apostolics do.

08/22/2012 new

(Quote) Lynn-189934 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: It sounds like you want to be somewhat T...

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

I did, in this forum. . . I want to know if its part of their beliefs or just a local practice to stand out as different. . .like Apostolics do.

--hide--
There are a myriad of people who consider themselves traditional Catholic.Even within one of those groups you have a different notions about the norms of dress.

08/22/2012 new

(Quote) Lynn-189934 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: It sounds like you want to be somewhat T...

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

--hide--

This manner of dress is going on with various traditional and conservative Catholics and Christians every where these days. It is not just local to you. We have some of it here. I was a foster care social worker at a Christian agency and one woman began to wear a head covering and wore long skirts when she went out. She was a type of Christian and I don't know where they went to church. I have worked with others who were Apostolics. I used to love wearing my long denim skirt over to their home! It does not bother me one bit- none of it! but then I am a woman and I don't expect anything from them. I feel they are traditional and I respect them for that. It is my job to not discriminate and I certainly do not.

I think I failed to give this detail earlier that I have seen some that I worked with through work but I barely notice them actually.

One time I went to a home where I had to have along consult with a mom and she was wearing a lot of heavy clothing in a prairie dress. I though it was a beautiful dress. I complimented her. It was a beautiful dress. So I am not one who gets all of my ideas from pop culture. I do what I think is nice.

08/22/2012 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: This manner of dress is going on with various traditional and conservative Catholics and ...

This manner of dress is going on with various traditional and conservative Catholics and Christians every where these days. It is not just local to you. We have some of it here. I was a foster care social worker at a Christian agency and one woman began to wear a head covering and wore long skirts when she went out. She was a type of Christian and I don't know where they went to church. I have worked with others who were Apostolics. I used to love wearing my long denim skirt over to their home! It does not bother me one bit- none of it! but then I am a woman and I don't expect anything from them. I feel they are traditional and I respect them for that. It is my job to not discriminate and I certainly do not.

I think I failed to give this detail earlier that I have seen some that I worked with through work but I barely notice them actually.

One time I went to a home where I had to have along consult with a mom and she was wearing a lot of heavy clothing in a prairie dress. I though it was a beautiful dress. I complimented her. It was a beautiful dress. So I am not one who gets all of my ideas from pop culture. I do what I think is nice.

--hide--

My cousin lives in a bedroom community where the authorized TLM Church is, and said that its the splinter groups trying to appear more conservative, like the Apostolics, that are the main reasons for the extremes in dress. She had friends visit from out of state that thought there was a polygamist group there. So, it would appear, many conservative Christian groups wear this type of apparel.

I think my strong distaste for the whole khakis/long dresses comes from the holier-than-thou attitude shared by many Apostolics here in my community. . . I wear shorts nearly everywhere, though. . .

08/22/2012 new

(Quote) Lynn-189934 said: I think my strong distaste for the whole khakis/long dresses comes from the holier-than-thou attit...

I think my strong distaste for the whole khakis/long dresses comes from the holier-than-thou attitude shared by many Apostolics here in my community. . . I wear shorts nearly everywhere, though. . .

--hide--
Shorts are okay as long as they are modest.Not usually an issue for men.

08/22/2012 new

(Quote) Bernard-2709 said: Shorts are okay as long as they are modest.Not usually an issue for men.
(Quote) Bernard-2709 said:

Shorts are okay as long as they are modest.Not usually an issue for men.

--hide--

I'm not a modest person at all. . . but I don't wear Magnum PI shorts, either. I personally just am not for the TLM but I'd have to drive a long way. We are a pretty conservative community, though.

Posts 21 - 30 of 36