Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

I've never seen this in real life, but apparently some priests put everything they need to read during a mass (gospel, prayers, homily) on an iPad.

www.patheos.com

The priests they mention in the article are in Europe. It makes it easier for the priest to keep everything together, no paper flying around, no heavy book to carry up to the alter.

One person at the Vatican, however, wants everyone to stay with paper books:

" Father Antonio Spadaro, known as the Vatican’s “cyber theologian,” said that devices such as iPads, smart phones and tablets should not be used instead of missalettes at Mass."

I dunno. I think in the long run electronic devices will be employed in churches. A hundred years from now, will anyone even remember books existed?

08/18/2012 new

I have seen ipads used for homilies before! Both Cardinal George of Houston and Bishop Vann of Fort Worth have used them in the past. I think it's fine as long as the priest really understands how to use the technology.

When it comes to using apps like Laudate that have the readings on them during Mass, I think that it is sometimes distracting for others in the pews. It doesn't bother me, but I know that some people from my undergrad were bothered by it. I understand where Fr. Spadaro is coming from, but I would have to agree with you that in the future, it might be more prevalent. Then again, we are really called to proclaim and listen to the Gospel being read during the Liturgy, not to read it from a missalette, so perhaps neither would be the right answer?

08/31/2012 new

I was an assoicate at a monistary that they started to talk about away of having the prayers in front of everyone. Currently the use books but you have to flip to this page then that page and it is very confusing to someone new to it. I am a technology person so they ask me a few questions and one of the thing I sugest was having a monitor in front of everyone and one person controls the page turn so it will make it easy for visitors who want to say the Divine office with the monks. We also thought about ipad or a kindle but we was afread of people stealing them.

08/31/2012 new

(Quote) Cathy-620979 said: I've never seen this in real life, but apparently some priests put everything they need to re...
(Quote) Cathy-620979 said:

I've never seen this in real life, but apparently some priests put everything they need to read during a mass (gospel, prayers, homily) on an iPad.

www.patheos.com

The priests they mention in the article are in Europe. It makes it easier for the priest to keep everything together, no paper flying around, no heavy book to carry up to the alter.

" Father Antonio Spadaro, known as the Vatican’s “cyber theologian,” said that devices such as iPads, smart phones and tablets should not be used instead of missalettes at Mass."

I dunno. I think in the long run electronic devices will be employed in churches. A hundred years from now, will anyone even remember books existed?

--hide--

Priests are allowed to use only the approved liturgical books during Mass. Until the electronic devices are approved for liturgical use, it is a grave sin for them to use them unless there is a grave reason to do so (i.e., they arrived for Mass and found the missal or lectionary was missing).

A priest can read a homily from an electronic device, and the laity may use electronic devices in place of missalettes.

09/01/2012 new

(Quote) Cathy-620979 said: I've never seen this in real life, but apparently some priests put everything they need to re...
(Quote) Cathy-620979 said:

www.patheos.com

--hide--
I'm not sure of the validity of using something such an an iPad for the readings, but haven't checked yet. My own impression is that the lectionary should be used, and that the readings actually be read from a book that is totally dedicated to the Faith. The book contains sacred scripture and calls for reverence. It is meaningful for a priest to hold up the book to call our attention to it and what he is about to proclaim from its contents. There's an aura of sacredness about it.

Can an iPad accomplish this? I don't think so.

It could be helpful for homilies, and I personally wouldn't object to a priest using one for this purpose, providing liturgical requirements are met. Sometimes priests use props, or carry their own notes, depending upon their style.

What's next? Confessions via email?

09/01/2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Priests are allowed to use only the approved liturgical books during Mass. Until the elec...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

Priests are allowed to use only the approved liturgical books during Mass. Until the electronic devices are approved for liturgical use, it is a grave sin for them to use them unless there is a grave reason to do so (i.e., they arrived for Mass and found the missal or lectionary was missing).

A priest can read a homily from an electronic device, and the laity may use electronic devices in place of missalettes.

--hide--
Oops -- somehow I missed your post. You've already answered what I was wondering about -- the validity of using an iPad for almost all of the Mass.

09/01/2012 new

I think Homilies are OK but there is something about reading the Word of God from a Book! Tradition!

I will say that I take my Ipod into confession to refer to things I may want to bring up and might forget. wink

09/01/2012 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: I'm not sure of the validity of using something such an an iPad for the readings, but haven'...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

I'm not sure of the validity of using something such an an iPad for the readings, but haven't checked yet. My own impression is that the lectionary should be used, and that the readings actually be read from a book that is totally dedicated to the Faith. The book contains sacred scripture and calls for reverence. It is meaningful for a priest to hold up the book to call our attention to it and what he is about to proclaim from its contents. There's an aura of sacredness about it.

Can an iPad accomplish this? I don't think so.

--hide--

One significant concern is that the text stored in electronic devices can be altered surreptitiously or accidentally; that printed in books cannot (at least not without it being noticed)

09/01/2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: One significant concern is that the text stored in electronic devices can be altered surr...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

One significant concern is that the text stored in electronic devices can be altered surreptitiously or accidentally; that printed in books cannot (at least not without it being noticed)

--hide--
You mean something like a homily disappearing by accidentally hitting the delete button?

09/01/2012 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: You mean something like a homily disappearing by accidentally hitting the delete button?
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

You mean something like a homily disappearing by accidentally hitting the delete button?

--hide--

That's one possibility. I was referring to the potential for approved liturgical texts to be altered being a factor affecting the approval of electronic devices for liturgical use.

Posts 1 - 10 of 18