Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

Aug 12th 2012 new

(Quote) Donna-83441 said: Joan and Jerome got married on their second F2F (PA-OR LDR) Beth and Brent got married ...
(Quote) Donna-83441 said:

Joan and Jerome got married on their second F2F (PA-OR LDR)

Beth and Brent got married on their first one.. (TX-MO LDR)

I think Bev and Harry got engaged on their second F2F and married 4mos later (CT-OR LDR)

Pat and Dan were engaged in about 2 mos (KY-MI LDR) They didn'thave their first date til after she got back from NO and were engaged in Nov..

If I went through my engaged/married list I could find more.. These are off the top of my head.

--hide--

My question would be are these couples all still married? I've read about a couple of engagements through CM ending up being broken. There is no way that a couple knows each other in 1 or 2 dates F2F. It is possible it would work out longterm, but unlikely. And, I do believe that all of the churches I know require somewhere between 4-6 months for Banns/counselling before they will marry someone. So, getting married on the first F2F must have been a civil marriage, something I definitely would not do as a devout Catholic.

I do agree that it would be better if people would start meeting each other more quickly on this site. You can exchange many emails/phone calls/ etc., but it's not the same as a F2F meeting. Just my opinion!

Aug 12th 2012 new

Cindy-57124 said:

Joan and Jerome got married on their second F2F (PA-OR LDR) Married or engaged? They spent a LOT of time posting in the forums and communicating. Theirs was a unique situation....It wasn't so unique.. They knew each other in the Forums, but not with any more interest than you or I might have in a man we know from the Forums.. They began playing Scrabble online in February..Met the weekend of May 22..Marge and I were there the weekend they met.. They got married one month later during CM Niagra Falls (Pat and Dan stood up for them) Like the other couples I mentioned, there were dependent children involved so travelling was limited.

Beth and Brent got married on their first one.. (TX-MO LDR) Married on their ... F2F?? Hard to believe...They were matched on Thanksgiving weekend.. He had young kids at home and couldn't travel till Christmas break.. They got married on the 30th or so of December..

I think Bev and Harry got engaged on their second F2F and married 4mos later (CT-OR LDR) I don't claim to remember all the details but they were both VERY active in the forums, esp. the War Room. I remember the NY Love Fest - isn't that where they met initially? And didn't they spend time traveling back and forth before becoming engaged? They did meet at Lovefest, but did not begin a relationship of any kind till after it was over and he called her to discuss the weekend.. She had a son in school and I believe he only travelled once to see her in February of that year when her uncle died. He proposed when he came back at Easter..

Pat and Dan were engaged in about 2 mos (KY-MI LDR) They didn'thave their first date til after she got back from NO and were engaged in Nov.. Again, both were active in the forums. I do remember her posting that she was moving and needed help and Dan took it upon himself to drive to her house to help. He literally showed up on her front door step! She was so touched by that gesture.

I'm all for moving forward, but (at least for me) it takes time to build a relationship. I'm not suggesting that folks should wait for years, but I'm all for getting to know one another before jumping into a long term relationship. Heck, that's half the fun!

Knowing each other in the Forums is not the same thing as dating and then making a decision to get married so quickly after meeting. This couple in the blog weren't Forum posters either.

Aug 12th 2012 new

(Quote) Susie-550311 said: Were Tracy and Liam already mentioned?
(Quote) Susie-550311 said:

Were Tracy and Liam already mentioned?

--hide--

I didn't mention Tracy and Liam because their situation was a little different..He was able to fly her over there and for her to stay for extended periods.. They were able to get to know each other one on one for a longer period of time.

Aug 12th 2012 new

(Quote) Donna-83441 said: I didn't mention Tracy and Liam because their situation was a little different..H...

I didn't mention Tracy and Liam because their situation was a little different..He was able to fly her over there and for her to stay for extended periods.. They were able to get to know each other one on one for a longer period of time.

--hide--

True, but weren't they married within the first year of meeting?

Aug 12th 2012 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: My question would be are these couples all still married? I've read about a couple ...
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said:

My question would be are these couples all still married? I've read about a couple of engagements through CM ending up being broken. There is no way that a couple knows each other in 1 or 2 dates F2F. It is possible it would work out longterm, but unlikely. And, I do believe that all of the churches I know require somewhere between 4-6 months for Banns/counselling before they will marry someone. So, getting married on the first F2F must have been a civil marriage, something I definitely would not do as a devout Catholic.

I do agree that it would be better if people would start meeting each other more quickly on this site. You can exchange many emails/phone calls/ etc., but it's not the same as a F2F meeting. Just my opinion!

--hide--

They are all still married.. I know them on FB... All the couples I have been personally acquainted with that have gotten married from CM are still married. I have heard about a couple of people who met on CM and then divorced..But I was not personally acquainted with them or their stories..

I deliberately did not say anything about civil vs sacramental marriage because that is not the point of my thread.. The point is the decision to marry someone you've only met in person once or twice.. Do you think that distance is the factor to marry quickly? However it is accomplished, civil or sacramental?

Aug 12th 2012 new

(Quote) Cindy-57124 said: True, but weren't they married within the first year of meeting?
(Quote) Cindy-57124 said:

True, but weren't they married within the first year of meeting?

--hide--

They started corresponding in September playing games online.. I think she first went there in early November came back and turned right around and went back.. She stayed about a month the second time.. then went back with Emma in January.. Moved there in March.. They spent a LOT of time together.. They didn't get engaged on her first trip..They got married in August..You were there..You should know..LOL

Aug 12th 2012 new

(Quote) Donna-83441 said: Cindy-57124 said: Knowing each other in the Forums is not the same thi...

Cindy-57124 said:

Knowing each other in the Forums is not the same thing as dating and then making a decision to get married so quickly after meeting. This couple in the blog weren't Forum posters either.

--hide--

No, but its a good way to see how folks interact with others. Topics and opinions are discussed on these forums that would not usually come up meeting over coffee for the first time. I think knowing someone through the forums is a great tool in better understanding who they are.

That said, thanks for initiating the thread, D! Whereas I'm not one to jump into a relationship without taking time, it does remind us that if we're serious about marriage, we need to get off our respective duffs and see where it leads.

Aug 12th 2012 new

(Quote) Donna-83441 said: They started corresponding in September playing games online.. I think she first went...

They started corresponding in September playing games online.. I think she first went there in early November came back and turned right around and went back.. She stayed about a month the second time.. then went back with Emma in January.. Moved there in March.. They spent a LOT of time together.. They didn't get engaged on her first trip..They got married in August..You were there..You should know..LOL

--hide--

So, it was within a year...

Aug 12th 2012 new

(Quote) Cindy-57124 said: No, but its a good way to see how folks interact with others. Topics and opinions are disc...

No, but its a good way to see how folks interact with others. Topics and opinions are discussed on these forums that would not usually come up meeting over coffee for the first time. I think knowing someone through the forums is a great tool in better understanding who they are.

That said, thanks for initiating the thread, D! Whereas I'm not one to jump into a relationship without taking time, it does remind us that if we're serious about marriage, we need to get off our respective duffs and see where it leads.

--hide--

it does remind us that if we're serious about marriage, we need to get off our respective duffs and see where it leads.

Now you've got the point of my topic!! clap

Aug 12th 2012 new

(Quote) Cindy-57124 said: So, it was within a year...

So, it was within a year...

--hide--

It was within a year, but they weren't a typical LDR..

Posts 11 - 20 of 112