Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

Aug 14th 2012 new

(Quote) Beth-621047 said: Our Michigan diocese is offering Pre-Cana on three Sundays in Sept or in one lengthy all day sess...
(Quote) Beth-621047 said:

Our Michigan diocese is offering Pre-Cana on three Sundays in Sept or in one lengthy all day session in Oct. Apparently, this question is open to the discretion of the diocese.
--hide--

The way the Pre-Cana or Pre-Cana 2 is set up is up to the Diocese and the individual churches. But according to Catholic church teaching it is still required to have 18 months of dating before the day of the marriage. There are many priests who have decided to disregard this on their own, but they don't have the authority to do it.

I myself had a one day Pre-Cana class. It was not in God's right order. They also are not allowed to marry you if you are pregnant. They are required to wait until the baby is one year old. Again many priests have taken it upon themselves to disregard this, but they don't have the authority to do so. biggrin

Aug 14th 2012 new

(Quote) Madonna-819886 said: The way the Pre-Cana or Pre-Cana 2 is set up is up to the Diocese and the individual c...
(Quote) Madonna-819886 said:

The way the Pre-Cana or Pre-Cana 2 is set up is up to the Diocese and the individual churches. But according to Catholic church teaching it is still required to have 18 months of dating before the day of the marriage. There are many priests who have decided to disregard this on their own, but they don't have the authority to do it.

I myself had a one day Pre-Cana class. It was not in God's right order. They also are not allowed to marry you if you are pregnant. They are required to wait until the baby is one year old. Again many priests have taken it upon themselves to disregard this, but they don't have the authority to do so.

--hide--

Madonna,

I never heard of this church teaching. Please educate me so I may learn more. Where did you find this church teaching?

Thanks

Barb

Aug 14th 2012 new

(Quote) Barbara-605462 said: Madonna,I never heard of this church teaching. Please educate me so I may learn...
(Quote) Barbara-605462 said:

Madonna,

I never heard of this church teaching. Please educate me so I may learn more. Where did you find this church teaching?

Thanks

Barb

--hide--

The pregnancy one I know about. I don't know how old the baby has to be, but that one is for sure. It's because it's automatic grounds for a invalidating the marriage - considered emotional coercion I think - don't quote me...I need to tap Jerry on this one I think. heart

Aug 14th 2012 new

(Quote) Madonna-819886 said: There may be a 6 month waiting period till you can set the date, but the date has to b...

There may be a 6 month waiting period till you can set the date, but the date has to be set for at least a year away.

--hide--

Your timeline is neither in the Catechism, nor Canon Law.

Yes, the priests should probably marry less couples than they do marry, but they are in the Encouragement business, not go looking for annulments. Probably a very high percentage of Catholic marriages have grounds for an annulment, but the Church is not going to go look to break up the marriages. And yes, there needs to be a stronger Pre-Cana program than it has been in the past.

I've heard of the six month guideline, but, I can tell you, the Church does not make a civilly married couple wait six months to have their marriage "blessed".

Aug 15th 2012 new

(Quote) Madonna-819886 said:   But according to Catholic church teaching it is still required to have 18 month...

But according to Catholic church teaching it is still required to have 18 months of dating before the day of the marriage.

--hide--

Where is this teaching found?

Canon law puts forth some general requirements (see below), leaving the specifics up to the local ordinary (i.e., (arch)bishop) and pastor.

Can. 1063 Pastors of souls are obliged to ensure that their own church community provides for Christ's faithful the assistance by which the married state is preserved in its christian character and develops in perfection. This assistance is to be given principally:

1° by preaching, by catechetical instruction adapted to children, young people and adults, indeed by the use of the means of social communication, so that Christ's faithful are instructed in the meaning of christian marriage and in the role of christian spouses and parents;

2° by personal preparation for entering marriage, so that the spouses are disposed to the holiness and the obligations of their new state;

3° by the fruitful celebration of the marriage liturgy, so that it clearly emerges that the spouses manifest, and participate in, the mystery of the unity and fruitful love between Christ and the Church;

4° by the help given to those who have entered marriage, so that by faithfully observing and protecting their conjugal covenant, they may day by day achieve a holier and a fuller family life.

Can. 1064 It is the responsibility of the local Ordinary to ensure that this assistance is duly organised. If it is considered opportune, he should consult with men and women of proven experience and expertise.

Aug 15th 2012 new

(Quote) Kathy-99973 said: Your timeline is neither in the Catechism, nor Canon Law.Yes, the priests should p...
(Quote) Kathy-99973 said:

Your timeline is neither in the Catechism, nor Canon Law.

Yes, the priests should probably marry less couples than they do marry, but they are in the Encouragement business, not go looking for annulments. Probably a very high percentage of Catholic marriages have grounds for an annulment, but the Church is not going to go look to break up the marriages. And yes, there needs to be a stronger Pre-Cana program than it has been in the past.

I've heard of the six month guideline, but, I can tell you, the Church does not make a civilly married couple wait six months to have their marriage "blessed".

--hide--

You are correct Kathy, especially on that last line.. Pat and Dan were told that the Church wants civil marriages convalidated as quickly as possible.. There is no waiting time.

Aug 15th 2012 new

(Quote) Donna-83441 said: But most knew almost right away that the relationship was special.
(Quote) Donna-83441 said:

But most knew almost right away that the relationship was special.

--hide--

Of course it was special then. The real question is how long it remains that way...

Aug 15th 2012 new
(Quote) Madonna-819886 said: There may be a 6 month waiting period till you can set the date, but the date has to be set f...

There may be a 6 month waiting period till you can set the date, but the date has to be set for at least a year away.

--hide--

No, actuslly in the church bulletin it says the church can be reserved 6 months in advance.
Aug 15th 2012 new

(Quote) Dawn-758914 said: (Quote) Madonna-819886 said: There may be a 6 month waiting period till you can se...
(Quote) Dawn-758914 said:
Quote:
Madonna-819886 said:

No, actuslly in the church bulletin it says the church can be reserved 6 months in advance.
--hide--

You're in a different diocese, so you're comparing apples and oranges. The rules are specific to the diocese, and in some cases the parish.

Aug 15th 2012 new

(Quote) Donna-83441 said: By and large, the younger couples tended to wait and the older ones jumped right in
(Quote) Donna-83441 said: By and large, the younger couples tended to wait and the older ones jumped right in
--hide--

I guess that makes me one of the younger ones - at least younger at heart - 'cause there's no jumpin' in for me!

Posts 71 - 80 of 112