Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Aug 23rd 2012 new
Used copies of Wing to Wing, Oar to Oar are available at Amazon.com for

less than ten dollars.
Aug 23rd 2012 new

(Quote) David-562122 said: Used copies of Wing to Wing, Oar to Oar are available at Amazon.com for less than ten dollars.
(Quote) David-562122 said: Used copies of Wing to Wing, Oar to Oar are available at Amazon.com for

less than ten dollars.
--hide--

Yes, my son just searched for me, & there are several at only $1.50!

Aug 23rd 2012 new

(Quote) David-562122 said: A new study came out. Researchers in Iceland have found that men who have children later in life have a ...
(Quote) David-562122 said: A new study came out. Researchers in Iceland have found that men who have children later in life have a high risk of passing mutations to their outspring. For example, a man in his early thirties passes 60 some genetic mutations whereas a man in his late forties passes double the amount.
--hide--

Hah! Just noticed: you said "outspring".
...Still makes sense that way....

Aug 23rd 2012 new
(Quote) Lina-796057 said: Hah! Just noticed: you said "outspring"....Still makes sense that way....
(Quote) Lina-796057 said:

Hah! Just noticed: you said "outspring".
...Still makes sense that way....

--hide--

*offspring
Aug 31st 2012 new

(Quote) David-562122 said: Hi CMers! I'm starting a new Book club here on this thread starting in September. E...
(Quote) David-562122 said: Hi CMers! I'm starting a new Book club here on this thread starting in September. Each week we will discuss a chapter from a book on the subject of courtship.

The first book I'd like to discuss is called "Wing to Wing, Oar to Oar", edited by Leon and Amy Kass. This book is available through Amazon.com. If you can't afford the book or rather not spend the money that's okay. I'll be posting the main issues here for discussion.

May God richly bless this endeavor.
--hide--

Oh, David... note Tomorrow's September..... smile
When are you starting this? I didn't get the book but I'll follow along with what you write. Interesting topic.

Aug 31st 2012 new

My book should be here by Sept 5th. Looking forward to the discussions.

- Elizabeth

Sep 1st 2012 new
(Quote) Elizabeth-462557 said: My book should be here by Sept 5th. Looking forward to the discussions. - Elizabeth...
(Quote) Elizabeth-462557 said:

My book should be here by Sept 5th. Looking forward to the discussions.

- Elizabeth

--hide--

I just received the book in the mail. I like it a lot. Here is a description of the book from the back cover.

"Wing to Wing ,Oar to Oar is an anthology of source readings offered as a response the contemporary cultural silence surrounding love that leads to marriage. It addresses important questions that emerge not from theory, but from practice: Why marry? Is this love? How can I find and win the right one to marry? What about sex? Why a wedding and the promises of marriage? What can married life be like? Using readings from Homer, Herodotus, Plato, Aquinas, Erasmus, Shakespeare, Rousseau, Austen, Tolstoy, C.S. Lewis, Miss Manners, and many others, this collection challenges our unexamined opinions, expands our sympathies, elevates our gaze, and introudces us to possibilities open to human beings in everyday life that may be undreamt of in our current discourse. This unapologetically pro-marriage anthology is intended to help young people of marriageable age and their parents think about the meaning, purpose, and virtues of marriage and, especially, about finding the right person with whom to make a life."

I would add that this book can also be helpful for people who are on the fence regarding marriage.

Some questions for us to consider:

Is there a call to consecrated single life? After discussing these readings, do you think that marriage needs to be promoted more in the Church? Do you think that offering an option between marriage and single-life allows for a weakening of marriage as a norm for Catholics?

How much dating is too much dating? What is a realistic amount of time to get to know someone? How much time do we realistically need to 'get our ducks in a row' to get married? I suspect we have made it harder than it really has to be.

Since marriage is a holy sacrament, how much pre-planning and situational preparedness should be taken into account before getting married? If marriage is ministry-and it is--then shouldn't we get on with the business of getting married, in other words, put more emphasis on the sacrament and less on the romantic conception of love. If we are brothers and sisters in Christ, shouldn't that make it easier to find a partner committed to the same goals and lifestyle? Or is there something about chemistry and the uniqueness of the spouse that requires us to have to wait for the Lord to bring this special person into our lives? How long should we wait for the right person? It might seem common sensical to many that we wait as long as we have to. But, many of us here have been waiting for decades to commit. Judging by the divorce rates and the decline in the population growth in advanced Western societies, has the modern concepton of freedom been more of a hindrance than a help to the institute of marriage?

At the very least, I hope our discussions of the readings from this anthology will reveal the hidden assumptions that we all make and will open up a new vista of possibilities that we may have overlooked. It's always refreshing to go back to the sources and to discover the basis for many of the ideas that we have inherited about dating, courtship, and marriage.
Sep 1st 2012 new
(Quote) Lina-796057 said: Oh, David... Tomorrow's September..... When are you starting this? I didn't get the book...
(Quote) Lina-796057 said:

Oh, David... Tomorrow's September.....
When are you starting this? I didn't get the book but I'll follow along with what you write. Interesting topic.

--hide--

Hi Lina,

I'll be posting some introductory information after the Labor Day weekend. In the meantime, our first set of discussions will be on the topic of our present day situation with respect to courtship and marriage. I would like to spend 5 weeks on this topic: 4 weeks, covering 1 article per week, and then a final week of discussion in which we bring all the readings together.

Best Wishes,

David
Sep 1st 2012 new

(Quote) David-562122 said: I just received the book in the mail. I like it a lot. Here is a description of the book from th...
(Quote) David-562122 said:

I just received the book in the mail. I like it a lot. Here is a description of the book from the back cover.

"Wing to Wing ,Oar to Oar is an anthology of source readings offered as a response the contemporary cultural silence surrounding love that leads to marriage. It addresses important questions that emerge not from theory, but from practice: Why marry? Is this love? How can I find and win the right one to marry? What about sex? Why a wedding and the promises of marriage? What can married life be like? Using readings from Homer, Herodotus, Plato, Aquinas, Erasmus, Shakespeare, Rousseau, Austen, Tolstoy, C.S. Lewis, Miss Manners, and many others, this collection challenges our unexamined opinions, expands our sympathies, elevates our gaze, and introudces us to possibilities open to human beings in everyday life that may be undreamt of in our current discourse. This unapologetically pro-marriage anthology is intended to help young people of marriageable age and their parents think about the meaning, purpose, and virtues of marriage and, especially, about finding the right person with whom to make a life."

I would add that this book can also be helpful for people who are on the fence regarding marriage.

Some questions for us to consider:

Is there a call to consecrated single life? After discussing these readings, do you think that marriage needs to be promoted more in the Church? Do you think that offering an option between marriage and single-life allows for a weakening of marriage as a norm for Catholics?

How much dating is too much dating? What is a realistic amount of time to get to know someone? How much time do we realistically need to 'get our ducks in a row' to get married? I suspect we have made it harder than it really has to be.

Since marriage is a holy sacrament, how much pre-planning and situational preparedness should be taken into account before getting married? If marriage is ministry-and it is--then shouldn't we get on with the business of getting married, in other words, put more emphasis on the sacrament and less on the romantic conception of love. If we are brothers and sisters in Christ, shouldn't that make it easier to find a partner committed to the same goals and lifestyle? Or is there something about chemistry and the uniqueness of the spouse that requires us to have to wait for the Lord to bring this special person into our lives? How long should we wait for the right person? It might seem common sensical to many that we wait as long as we have to. But, many of us here have been waiting for decades to commit. Judging by the divorce rates and the decline in the population growth in advanced Western societies, has the modern concepton of freedom been more of a hindrance than a help to the institute of marriage?

At the very least, I hope our discussions of the readings from this anthology will reveal the hidden assumptions that we all make and will open up a new vista of possibilities that we may have overlooked. It's always refreshing to go back to the sources and to discover the basis for many of the ideas that we have inherited about dating, courtship, and marriage.
--hide--

I'm looking forward to some very interesting discussions. Thank you for doing this David.

- Elizabeth

Sep 1st 2012 new

David this is great idea. Thank you for suggesting it.

Posts 41 - 50 of 69