Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

What it boils down to....

Aug 12th 2012 new

Several years ago I evacuated with a day's notice, running from a hurricane. I drove to my son's home that took me 10 hours with no stops for water, bathroom... I was alone, scared and exhausted, but I finally reached my destination. Early the next morning I'd learned that I lost everything I owned.

But I decided to keep moving forward. I went to Mass the next day and volunteered at the local shelter that was housing many evacuees. When I arrived at the community hall I saw utter chaos. I helped with serving food local churches delivered and played with the children. I noticed some folks who were obviously missing their daily fix and starting to get edgy. And it was hot... temps in the upper 90's. Sensing that there was really NO ONE willing to take control of the situation, the local police were clueless, the Red Cross a small group of volunteers also cluess and some military who knew that had to wait before acting. I didn't understand the pecking order nor did I care about the protocol, but the situation had all the ear markings of danger. I finally persuaded one of the officers to set up stations for recreatoin out of doors. Its funny how people will follow orders even when they are sleep deprived and scared.

After the shelter had been emptied, I noticed an older couple sitting all alone. I walked over to see if I could help - she was in a wheel chair and he was sitting next to her in a rusty folding chair. As I got closer I could see that she had a Bible on her blanket covered lap and they were holding hands. I introduced myself and asked if there was anyway I could help or if they needed anything. And her answer was something I'll never forget.

She looked at me a smiled... I still remember the laugh lines around her eyes. She said, Honey, we have everything we need. We have our health, we have our faith.... and we have each other.

They, too, had lost all their wordly possessions and didn't know the whereabouts of family members like so many of us, but they felt blessed.

When I heard those words... "We have each other," I bowed my head and started to cry. Before it was all over they were comforting me!

But it all boils down to those 4 little words. I never asked how they met, or how many dates before they knew they'd marry. It would have seemed trite and ridiculous.

I apologize for this lengthy post... very unusual for me. But don't lose sight of the prize. If you want to find love, you may have to step out of your comfort zone and stretch your imagination. It may work, it may not... but NEVER give up and don't limit the possibilities. wink

Aug 12th 2012 new

(Quote) Cindy-57124 said: Several years ago I evacuated with a day's notice, running from a hurricane. I drove to my son...
(Quote) Cindy-57124 said:

Several years ago I evacuated with a day's notice, running from a hurricane. I drove to my son's home that took me 10 hours with no stops for water, bathroom... I was alone, scared and exhausted, but I finally reached my destination. Early the next morning I'd learned that I lost everything I owned.

But I decided to keep moving forward. I went to Mass the next day and volunteered at the local shelter that was housing many evacuees. When I arrived at the community hall I saw utter chaos. I helped with serving food local churches delivered and played with the children. I noticed some folks who were obviously missing their daily fix and starting to get edgy. And it was hot... temps in the upper 90's. Sensing that there was really NO ONE willing to take control of the situation, the local police were clueless, the Red Cross a small group of volunteers also cluess and some military who knew that had to wait before acting. I didn't understand the pecking order nor did I care about the protocol, but the situation had all the ear markings of danger. I finally persuaded one of the officers to set up stations for recreatoin out of doors. Its funny how people will follow orders even when they are sleep deprived and scared.

After the shelter had been emptied, I noticed an older couple sitting all alone. I walked over to see if I could help - she was in a wheel chair and he was sitting next to her in a rusty folding chair. As I got closer I could see that she had a Bible on her blanket covered lap and they were holding hands. I introduced myself and asked if there was anyway I could help or if they needed anything. And her answer was something I'll never forget.

She looked at me a smiled... I still remember the laugh lines around her eyes. She said, Honey, we have everything we need. We have our health, we have our faith.... and we have each other.

They, too, had lost all their wordly possessions and didn't know the whereabouts of family members like so many of us, but they felt blessed.

When I heard those words... "We have each other," I bowed my head and started to cry. Before it was all over they were comforting me!

But it all boils down to those 4 little words. I never asked how they met, or how many dates before they knew they'd marry. It would have seemed trite and ridiculous.

I apologize for this lengthy post... very unusual for me. But don't lose sight of the prize. If you want to find love, you may have to step out of your comfort zone and stretch your imagination. It may work, it may not... but NEVER give up and don't limit the possibilities.

--hide--

I needed to hear this today Cindy. Many thanks, prayers of gratitude and much love headed your way. heart

Aug 12th 2012 new
Cindy, thank you for sharing this! heart hug

I had no idea that you experienced such a loss.

Both the older couple and YOU are an inspiration.
Aug 12th 2012 new

(Quote) Lina-796057 said: Cindy, thank you for sharing this! I had no idea that you experienced such a loss. Both t...
(Quote) Lina-796057 said: Cindy, thank you for sharing this!

I had no idea that you experienced such a loss.

Both the older couple and YOU are an inspiration.
--hide--

Its history now, Lina... but those words will never leave me. It was a good lesson and I was an apt student. Its easy to learn when there are no outside distractions. wink

Aug 12th 2012 new

Beautiful, Cindy! Thanks for the reminder!

Cat

Aug 12th 2012 new

Cindy..You should tell your WHOLE story.. The story of losing your car after you thought it had been safe and the challenges of getting an annulment when all the paperwork is on your computer which gets lost with the car and then the elderly priest misplaces it another time. How many times did you fill that paperwork out altogether? Like 3 or 4 times? eyepopping

You have been through more challenges than most of us could even dream of.. hug

Aug 12th 2012 new

Cindy,

Thank you for sharing this story. Put things in perspective.

Aug 12th 2012 new

I'm sorry that happened to all of you.

But that was a beautiful story.

I don't suppose you know what happened to the couple, do you?

Aug 12th 2012 new

(Quote) Josephine-586127 said: I don't suppose you know what happened to the couple, do you?
(Quote) Josephine-586127 said:

I don't suppose you know what happened to the couple, do you?

--hide--

I'm pretty sure they lived happily ever after. hug

Aug 12th 2012 new

(Quote) Donna-83441 said: Cindy..You should tell your WHOLE story.. The story of losing your car after you thought it had be...
(Quote) Donna-83441 said:

Cindy..You should tell your WHOLE story.. The story of losing your car after you thought it had been safe and the challenges of getting an annulment when all the paperwork is on your computer which gets lost with the car and then the elderly priest misplaces it another time. How many times did you fill that paperwork out altogether? Like 3 or 4 times?

You have been through more challenges than most of us could even dream of..

--hide--

LOL - no one wants (or needs) to hear my whole story, D!

Good Lord, you have a good memory. The annulment took a total of 13 years after filling out the paper work 3 times I think. shhh

Posts 1 - 10 of 25