Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

error: Forum not initialized properly! Please check the link and try again.

error: Forum not initialized properly! Please check the link and try again.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Singles discussion related to wedding planning, engagement, and married life should be posted in this room.

Saint Valentine is patron saint of love, young people, and happy marriages.
Learn More: Saint Valentine

Aug 17th 2012 new
(Quote) Lynn-189934 said: I'll start a new thread on it. . . . because I have an interesting element ...
(Quote) Lynn-189934 said:

I'll start a new thread on it. . . . because I have an interesting element to share about it. . .

--hide--

Count me in.
Aug 18th 2012 new
(Quote) Tara-539245 said: Wow! My mom has never discussed weddings with me. I think she knows I&#...
(Quote) Tara-539245 said:

Wow! My mom has never discussed weddings with me. I think she knows I'm whatever when it comes to stuff like this. I'm the one who decided to buy a house and then bought a house basically 5 weeks later (yes, I'm meaning the act of sale!). I think she fears I might do that and elope!

--hide--

My mother for lack of a better term is a social butterfly. She's someone who enjoys having dinners just to show off her talents. Ever see Desperate Housewives? My mom is exactly like Bree where certain things have to be perfect. Because she enjoys parties if I did less than a reception she would consider it offending her and yes she even had money set aside for my wedding. She also has great style and once I marry I will take her with to buy my dress.
Aug 18th 2012 new

(Quote) David-562122 said: Count me in.
(Quote) David-562122 said:

Count me in.
--hide--

Just out of curiosity, David. Did you ask her dad for his blessing?

Aug 18th 2012 new

(Quote) David-562122 said: This hasn't happened to me yet. Just curious.

This hasn't happened to me yet. Just curious.
--hide--

That's a never mind on the aforementioned post. I must start reading all the way to the end!

Aug 18th 2012 new

Prepping for the next thread: Is a honeymoon necessary? Is its purpose these days different from what it used to be? Isn't it just a vacation?

Aug 18th 2012 new
(Quote) Kathy-635104 said: Just out of curiosity, David. Did you ask her dad for his blessing?
(Quote) Kathy-635104 said:

Just out of curiosity, David. Did you ask her dad for his blessing?

--hide--

Hi Kathy,

My fiance was Romanian. I did speak with her family in Romania by telephone and received her father's blessing. But she wasn't Catholic, just pagan. shhh

I meant to say that I was never engaged to a Catholic woman.
Aug 18th 2012 new
(Quote) Lina-796057 said: Prepping for the next thread: Is a honeymoon necessary? Is its purpose these days different from what it used t...
(Quote) Lina-796057 said:

Prepping for the next thread: Is a honeymoon necessary? Is its purpose these days different from what it used to be? Isn't it just a vacation?

--hide--

Good issues to raise Lina. I think personally that after the wedding there should be some time off for the bride and groom to get away from the "aftermath". But I don't see why this has to be mandatory and couldn't be postponed for a later time.
Aug 18th 2012 new
(Quote) David-562122 said: Good issues to raise Lina. I think personally that after the wedding there should be some time off for the...

Good issues to raise Lina. I think personally that after the wedding there should be some time off for the bride and groom to get away from the "aftermath". But I don't see why this has to be mandatory and couldn't be postponed for a later time.
--hide--

I think it is good to take a break after 6 months-1 year of planning a wedding and all the stress.
Aug 18th 2012 new

(Quote) Lina-796057 said: Does receiving gifts make you feel more loved, Lynn?We tend to show our love through the w...
(Quote) Lina-796057 said:

Does receiving gifts make you feel more loved, Lynn?

We tend to show our love through the ways WE like to be shown it. For instance, I hug my son a lot, because that's a primary love language for me...and good thing it's one of his, too! But what's important is that we show love to the other by how that other feels loved. If I hugged my son a lot because I love him, but his primary love language was Words of Affirmation and I didn't tell him, "Good job! You tackled that problem well! Wow, you played that piece of music so beautifully!", then he would not feel love from me the way that it's most meaningful to him. I could hug him all I want, but he'd always feel a lack somewhere inside.

So, Lynn, if you find a woman whose Love Language is also Gifts, then that big rock on her finger will really mean a lot!
But if Gifts was last on her Love Language List, and, say, Acts of Service were most important to her, then being a man who pitched in around the house would make her feel like a queen. Lacking that, a big rock on her finger would only serve to mock. Even though giving that expensive ring would mean a great deal for you, Lynn, it would be an even greater show of love on your part if you sacrificed giving her what pleases you and gave, instead, what meant most to her. But you knew that.

--hide--

Excellent point Lina. When my (at the time) boyfriend proposed, he had purchased a very elaborate ring. And he was all hyper hyper hyper hyper showing it off to everyone. It had a good sized central diamond, with many smaller cascading along both sides of the band. I remember him telling everyone how I was a "ring queen", etc. I was very perplexed by this, because I am basically a very simple gal and NEVER hinted at expensive tastes, especially in jewelry. In fact, it angered me a bit for him to be telling people this because it wasn't true. Then for Christmas that year, he gave me an additional ring, again, with diamonds circling the band. Again, he was SO excited about it. Both were/are very beautiful, but since the love language of gifts is very low for me, these rings wouldn't have been something I would have picked out, at all. Nor did I ever express that I wanted an additional ring. But I did express great enjoyment and appreciation when receiving them.

So as I reflect back on these rings, I am guessing that maybe my ex's love language was gifts? Maybe?

Right now, I wear my granmother's wedding band and engagement rings on my right hand. They are silver, and the engagement ring has small diamond specs. I LOVE these rings. They are simple, understated, and humble.

So men. Know your woman. If you are proposing to a high-maintenance woman who has very expensive tastes and MUST have showy things, then that is who you are marrying, and you can't complain when she wants expensive showy things. Yet on the flip side, learn to study her....does SHE really want that showy ring? If she's like me, the answer is probably not. It's not about the bling.

Aug 18th 2012 new
(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: I am most certain you deserve this happiness
(Quote) Brenda-74660 said:

I am most certain you deserve this happiness
--hide--

Thanks again for your kind words Brenda. It has been a long road to finally get to this kind of happiness in my life!

I wish you all the best in finding your special someone too! hug This topic has been automatically locked due to size. Any further discussion can be continued in a new topic.
Posts 191 - 200 of 200