Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Singles discussion related to wedding planning, engagement, and married life should be posted in this room.

Saint Valentine is patron saint of love, young people, and happy marriages.
Learn More: Saint Valentine

Sep 6th 2012 new

(Quote) Marirose-887295 said: How do you think money should be handled in marriage? I'm thinking that especialling in a 2nd...
(Quote) Marirose-887295 said:

How do you think money should be handled in marriage? I'm thinking that especialling in a 2nd marriage there maybe problems around money. When you marry really young, usually nobody has anything to start with. That can be totally different in a 2nd marriage or when the partners are older. Is there any good advice on handling it?

--hide--

Kids are the determining factor. If either or both have children, there should be a prenup to deal with how estate planning will be conducted.

One partner has kids or a child with special need who'll need financial asisstance. they need an agreement about how patrimony is to be handled. same if one spouse has inherited a lot of money or is a part owner of a family business.

Sep 7th 2012 new

(Quote) Deborah-550454 said: Oh I dunno about the complicated part. I have it all figured out. What's mine is mi...
(Quote) Deborah-550454 said:

Oh I dunno about the complicated part. I have it all figured out. What's mine is mine and what's his is mine. Simple enough... eh?

--hide--

Sep 7th 2012 new

(Quote) Deborah-550454 said: Oh I dunno about the complicated part. I have it all figured out. What's mine is mi...
(Quote) Deborah-550454 said:

Oh I dunno about the complicated part. I have it all figured out. What's mine is mine and what's his is mine. Simple enough... eh?

--hide--
rolling eyes eyebrow scratchchin mischievous laughing

Sep 7th 2012 new

(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said: Any time there is a remarriage, the stepparents income comes into play when support is figure...
(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said:

Any time there is a remarriage, the stepparents income comes into play when support is figured - whether anyone likes it, or not. Just is what it is.

--hide--

It was never counted in mine....

Sep 10th 2012 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: Kids are the determining factor. If either or both have children, there should be a ...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

Kids are the determining factor. If either or both have children, there should be a prenup to deal with how estate planning will be conducted.

To the CM savonarolas: please DON'T quote this horsecrap about a prenup being uncatholic or vitiating a sacramental marriage. one partner has kids or a child with special need who'll need financial asisstance. they need an agreement about how patrimony is to be handled. same if one spouse has inherited a lot of money or is a part owner of a family business.

--hide--

Thanks David. I'll have to look into it further.

Sep 10th 2012 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: Kids are the determining factor. If either or both have children, there should be a prenup to...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

To the CM savonarolas: please DON'T quote this horsecrap about a prenup being uncatholic or vitiating a sacramental marriage. one partner has kids or a child with special need who'll need financial asisstance. they need an agreement about how patrimony is to be handled. same if one spouse has inherited a lot of money or is a part owner of a family business.

--hide--

As it is a teaching of the Church, not personal opinion, that pre-nuptial agreements that include contingencies for divorce are not permissible, a reminder of forum rule 4, which deals with inflammatory language against the Church, is in order. If you consider the Church's teaching "horsecrap" then perhaps you might find another site more to your liking.

A person with special financial situations such as you list should be working with a canon lawyer and a civil attorney, not ignoring the Church. Is money worth intentionally entering into an invalid marriage (where each sexual act is a mortal sin) and placing their soul in grave jeopardy?

The only reason I'm letting this post remain is because it's three days old and there is no telling how many have read it so far.

Sep 10th 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: As it is a teaching of the Church, not personal opinion, that pre-nuptial agreements that...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

As it is a teaching of the Church, not personal opinion, that pre-nuptial agreements that include contingencies for divorce are not permissible, a reminder of forum rule 4, which deals with inflammatory language against the Church, is in order. If you consider the Church's teaching "horsecrap" then perhaps you might find another site more to your liking.

A person with special financial situations such as you list should be working with a canon lawyer and a civil attorney, not ignoring the Church. Is money worth intentionally entering into an invalid marriage (where each sexual act is a mortal sin) and placing their soul in grave jeopardy?

The only reason I'm letting this post remain is because it's three days old and there is no telling how many have read it so far.

--hide--

I did not say anything negative about church teaching. And I certainly would not want to be in an invalid marriage. However, I do think for a sin to be a mortal sin you have to know it is a sin and still do it. Or am I mistaken?

Sep 10th 2012 new

Speaking for myself only, I tried very hard to stay "married" because I was trying to do what I was taught. However, the church later declared the marriage invalid.

Sep 10th 2012 new

Being in the relationship for 22 years and what I thought was married for 20 certainly showed I don't give up easily. He had affairs for at least 11 years of the invalid marriage.

Sep 10th 2012 new

(Quote) Marirose-887295 said:I did not say anything negative about church teaching. And I certainly would not want to be in...
(Quote) Marirose-887295 said:

I did not say anything negative about church teaching. And I certainly would not want to be in an invalid marriage. However, I do think for a sin to be a mortal sin you have to know it is a sin and still do it. Or am I mistaken?

--hide--

Marirose, you didn't make the statement against the Church teaching -- David did, in labelling it "horsecrap". I apologize if you thought that comment was directed at you.

Anyone who attempts to get married in the Church should be asked about the existence of a pre-nuptial agreement and have the implications explained to them. If they decide not to divulge the existence of a pre-nup and proceed anyway, they have been informed, no?

Even if the priest doesn't discuss pre-nups, you know this is an issue by virtue of this discussion. While the information given in forums such as this is not authoritative, readers have been alerted to circumstances where expert advice is needed if it is pertinent to their personal situation; there is no longer any potential to clai invincible ignorance.

Posts 21 - 30 of 37