Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Singles discussion related to wedding planning, engagement, and married life should be posted in this room.

Saint Valentine is patron saint of love, young people, and happy marriages.
Learn More: Saint Valentine

Sep 10th 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: As it is a teaching of the Church, not personal opinion, that pre-nuptial agreements that...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

As it is a teaching of the Church, not personal opinion, that pre-nuptial agreements that include contingencies for divorce are not permissible, a reminder of forum rule 4, which deals with inflammatory language against the Church, is in order. If you consider the Church's teaching "horsecrap" then perhaps you might find another site more to your liking.

A person with special financial situations such as you list should be working with a canon lawyer and a civil attorney, not ignoring the Church. Is money worth intentionally entering into an invalid marriage (where each sexual act is a mortal sin) and placing their soul in grave jeopardy?

The only reason I'm letting this post remain is because it's three days old and there is no telling how many have read it so far.

--hide--

yeah yeah. whatever. i'm talking aqbout ESTATE PLANNING not divorce planning.

Sep 10th 2012 new

(Quote) Sharon-885911 said: I just learned something I did not know the Catholic church did not believe in prenuptials. I ha...
(Quote) Sharon-885911 said:

I just learned something I did not know the Catholic church did not believe in prenuptials. I have never heard it addressed before.

--hide--

a prenup is OK as long as it focuses on estate planning and not divorce planning. for alol the dire nay-saying, i think it's a good idea in certain instances. is it "a sin"? are people who have them putting their souls in jeopardy? i doubt it.

Sep 20th 2012 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: (Quote) Marirose-887295 said: I get what you are saying "Ki...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Quote:
Marirose-887295 said:

I get what you are saying "Kia verses Mercedes". Since I have 2 vehicles (10 yr and 15 yrs old both pushing 200,000 miles) that is not an issue for me. However, being frugal in these areas allows for more saving thus the question. Furthermore, retirement accounts are particularly risky in a marriage as a prenup won't protect the children's share. From what I understand since ERISA [Employee Income Security Act], which governs retirement plan assets only kicks in when there is a spouse. Since a prenup is written prior to becoming a spouse it is invalid after marriage.

What are your thoughts on this? How do people handle?

Marirose, if I had the answers to your questions, I'd present them to you. I don't know the legalities of retirement fund distributions. The Church does NOT permit pre-nup agreements as such, although there are agreements that can be set up to protect assets that are intended to go to one's children from a previous marriage. Pre-nups have been discussed here before, along with the reasoning that the Church does not allow them.

To get reliable answers to your questions, I'd suggest contacting an attorney who specializes in this field. There are financial planners and advisors who might be able to give you the correct answers; however, their overall reliability may be less than a knowledgeable practicing attorney.

As far as cars are concerned, I wasn't knocking the Kia's -- just making a comparison. Your own cars apparently have had excellent care, and you've fought the urge to buy a newer car just for the sake of having something newer. As you mentioned, it has helped you to stash some money away -- something that is often difficult to do, considering the economic conditions we face today.

--hide--

Same as my mother said when she had a hestoretomy, It's between me and my doctor and the Church hasn't got a thing to do with it. Same with a pre-nup - you people really thing that the Kennedy's or any of the well to do Catholic DON'T have pre-nups - What planet you living on and you can be well assured that the bishop's cut will smooth/soothe any heartburn!

Sep 20th 2012 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: (Quote) Sharon-885911 said: I just learned something I did not know the Cath...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Quote:
Sharon-885911 said:

I just learned something I did not know the Catholic church did not believe in prenuptials. I have never heard it addressed before.

It's not a secret, Sharon, but yet it's not something that's discussed often, either. With a prenuptial agreement, there's at least a hint that the marriage could end up in a divorce. Of course, this is contrary to the permanent nature of the sacrament of marriage. This, very simply, is the reason for not allowing them.

--hide--

The canon says they are to be approved by the Church - You really don't think the Church got wealthy by not providing a method by which it gets their cut, do you?

Sep 20th 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: As it is a teaching of the Church, not personal opinion, that pre-nuptial agreements that...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

As it is a teaching of the Church, not personal opinion, that pre-nuptial agreements that include contingencies for divorce are not permissible, a reminder of forum rule 4, which deals with inflammatory language against the Church, is in order. If you consider the Church's teaching "horsecrap" then perhaps you might find another site more to your liking.

A person with special financial situations such as you list should be working with a canon lawyer and a civil attorney, not ignoring the Church. Is money worth intentionally entering into an invalid marriage (where each sexual act is a mortal sin) and placing their soul in grave jeopardy?

The only reason I'm letting this post remain is because it's three days old and there is no telling how many have read it so far.

--hide--

Just so you are aware - I am a tax lawyer and quite aware of the negotiations that take place, thank you very much!

Sep 20th 2012 new

(Quote) Dawn-758914 said: It's why it's a poor choice financially for a childless person to marry someone with kids...
(Quote) Dawn-758914 said:

It's why it's a poor choice financially for a childless person to marry someone with kids. By kids I mean even into college and even past that now with the horrible economy.
--hide--
I have a story that is worth telling. My mother married a wonderful man when I was about8 and my sister7. My bio father was a no hoper and never paid child support. "dad" paid for everything for us and then they had two children as well. He paid our school fees even my wedding and even offered to pay my bio fathers funeral which wasnt necessary. He was my father in every way for 40 years until his death 12 years ago. I just adored him. He loved us and treated us in every way lik hiis own children. God bless you Dad. Rest in Peace

Sep 27th 2012 new

I have children, and would not mind marrying a man who has them, too. I had a gut feeling about pre-nups being wrong (Thanks for clarifying that, Jerry).

What I would do is write (and notarize) a Last Will and Testament, since some of my estate was lovingly given to me to be passed on to my children. After the "OH, YES, I DOOOOOOOOOooooooo!!!!!", all will be shared: for richer or poorer.

Mari

Posts 31 - 37 of 37