Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Singles discussion related to wedding planning, engagement, and married life should be posted in this room.

Saint Valentine is patron saint of love, young people, and happy marriages.
Learn More: Saint Valentine

Aug 19th 2012 new

(Quote) David-562122 said: Can we agree that a honeymoon cruise is out of the question? Would you pick a honeymoon destination with...
(Quote) David-562122 said: Can we agree that a honeymoon cruise is out of the question? Would you pick a honeymoon destination with less intimate settings? Doesn't seem to fit the occasion in my opinion.
--hide--

For two gregarious people, even though they loved each other and wanted their alone-together time, a cruise with lots of other people around might be what they'd wish for a balance between both worlds. ??

I've never done a cruise and they don't appeal to me greatly (though I might like to try one once in my life), so for a honeymoon, I'd prefer something else. I have a wide variety of interests, so we'd see what appealed to him too!

Aug 20th 2012 new

(Quote) Lina-796057 said: For two gregarious people, even though they loved each other and wanted their alone-togeth...
(Quote) Lina-796057 said:

For two gregarious people, even though they loved each other and wanted their alone-together time, a cruise with lots of other people around might be what they'd wish for a balance between both worlds. ??

I've never done a cruise and they don't appeal to me greatly (though I might like to try one once in my life), so for a honeymoon, I'd prefer something else. I have a wide variety of interests, so we'd see what appealed to him too!

--hide--

I think going to a rustic cabin would be ideal...No agenda, no interruptions, just nature and each other. It could be someplace neither had ever experienced, like Alaska. But I so agree that getting away after the wedding is a great way to connect and plan your future.

Aug 20th 2012 new
(Quote) Joanna-615441 said: I would be up for just about anything . . . road trip, camping, Europe, the beach, all-inclusive resor...
(Quote) Joanna-615441 said:

I would be up for just about anything . . . road trip, camping, Europe, the beach, all-inclusive resort . . . as long as my husband wanted to do it too!

--hide--

A nice trip to Block Island and hang out in the sand.......
Aug 21st 2012 new

(Quote) David-562122 said: Can we agree that a honeymoon cruise is out of the question? Would you pick a honeymoon destination with...
(Quote) David-562122 said: Can we agree that a honeymoon cruise is out of the question? Would you pick a honeymoon destination with less intimate settings? Doesn't seem to fit the occasion in my opinion.
--hide--

My ex and I went on a cruise for our honeymoon. Maybe that is why he is now my ex.scratchchin

Actually, I thought the cruise was a great trip for a honeymoon. We were able to find things just for the two of us.

Aug 22nd 2012 new
I like how you think Lynn: something simple for the initial honeymoon, then save up for a more extravagant trip further down the line.

A couple I know from college honeymooned in the Great Smoky Mountains. They've been married for 20 years or thereabouts. That is a destination that appeals to me, and I've been there a few times already. It's within a day's drive from where I live currently.
Aug 25th 2012 new

(Quote) Lynn-189934 said: Its lamented we talked about the ring so much on the other thread, and since I contributed greatly...
(Quote) Lynn-189934 said:

Its lamented we talked about the ring so much on the other thread, and since I contributed greatly to the de-railing. . . As some of you saw, I'm annoyed by the employee of mine who is OVER planning everything, very extravagantly. My board chair, a friend, shared that her nieces (two in the family) were each offered 10k for whatever they wanted to do with it. . . one, whose husband already owned a home that came with mostly new appliances, went on a nice, long trip with her husband for the honeymoon and they did an anniversary trip with the leftover money; the wedding was pretty simple with minimal attendants, and cousins catered the meal with soups (it was January).

The other daughter had a simple wedding, in the early afternoon so no meal was necessary, just a cake reception, had a beach honeymoon, and then she and her husband had a lot of money to remodel a house they bought.

Not all children receive such large gifts of money, but when it is undesignated, look how even the brides choose to celebrate---a trip or a house. . . .

Quite honestly, I would think a nice, warm, pleasant US destination would be nice for a week honeymoon, and a longer trip, like the UK or the tropics, would be great later that first year. . . .

What do y'all think?

--hide--

From what I have heard, about $40k is an average wedding, and some middle class people spend in the range of $60k. If I ever get married, I'll have to pay for it myself, or at least that's what I'm assuming. I bought my own 2400 sq. ft. (living area) home on my own, in addition to all of the furniture and everything else to fill the place, so I'm pretty sure I don't need anything else! I do know people who have basically had weddings to get gifts. I know some places are like $40 a head, and others are $75 a head. I have never given a $75 gift, so I don't see how this makes sense. But, in many cases, the parents are paying for the wedding, and the couple is getting the gifts... so, they are getting the gifts for free. However, if the couple paid for the wedding, they wouldn't come ahead in gifts. I'm a very practical person. I like nice things, but I'm a bargain shopper and also use coupons without shame. I just can't see having a big wedding. Even just spending $10k on a wedding would make me cringe. I don't do credit card debt or loans. However, I no longer have $10k sitting in the bank like I did before I bought a house. Actually, if I did, I can't see depleting that just so I could have a wedding. I'd much rather have a nice honeymoon. Honestly, a wedding would pretty much stress me out because I'm too Type A. lol

Aug 25th 2012 new

(Quote) Tara-539245 said: From what I have heard, about $40k is an average wedding, and some middle cl...
(Quote) Tara-539245 said:

From what I have heard, about $40k is an average wedding, and some middle class people spend in the range of $60k. If I ever get married, I'll have to pay for it myself, or at least that's what I'm assuming. I bought my own 2400 sq. ft. (living area) home on my own, in addition to all of the furniture and everything else to fill the place, so I'm pretty sure I don't need anything else! I do know people who have basically had weddings to get gifts. I know some places are like $40 a head, and others are $75 a head. I have never given a $75 gift, so I don't see how this makes sense. But, in many cases, the parents are paying for the wedding, and the couple is getting the gifts... so, they are getting the gifts for free. However, if the couple paid for the wedding, they wouldn't come ahead in gifts. I'm a very practical person. I like nice things, but I'm a bargain shopper and also use coupons without shame. I just can't see having a big wedding. Even just spending $10k on a wedding would make me cringe. I don't do credit card debt or loans. However, I no longer have $10k sitting in the bank like I did before I bought a house. Actually, if I did, I can't see depleting that just so I could have a wedding. I'd much rather have a nice honeymoon. Honestly, a wedding would pretty much stress me out because I'm too Type A. lol

--hide--

Hmmmph...watch the movie. tongue heart

Aug 25th 2012 new

(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said: Hmmmph...watch the movie.
(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said:

Hmmmph...watch the movie.

--hide--

LOL!

Aug 25th 2012 new

(Quote) Tara-539245 said: From what I have heard, about $40k is an average wedding, and some middle class people spend in th...
(Quote) Tara-539245 said:

From what I have heard, about $40k is an average wedding, and some middle class people spend in the range of $60k.

--hide--

The only thing dumber than spending $40-60K on a wedding is to spend multi thousands to bury someone. Eighteen years ago, my broither's wife spent $17,000 burying him, the equivalent of over $35K today.

Burying my wife last year cost me around $6K. Still too much. Would have saved about half if it had not been a Seattle Undertaker and a Catholic Cemetary.

When my wife and I married, her father told us we would have to pay the bills. Being a lowly 2nd Lt. and my wife a 1st year school teacher, we could hardly afford to pay for a hugh wedding. So we carefully planned to spend what we figured we could afford. Her Father then picked up the tab knowing we had not just wasted a lot of money. He was not a miser by any means, but he never liked to see people waste money either.

Aug 26th 2012 new

(Quote) Dawn-758914 said: A friend of mine married a divorced dad and because he had no money he took her camping for the w...
(Quote) Dawn-758914 said:

A friend of mine married a divorced dad and because he had no money he took her camping for the weekend as a "honeymoon". I like camping but would not allow that for a honeymoon. She ended up divorcing him and rightfully so because he ended up having to spend more on his other family and she got stuck paying everything else.
--hide--

Sounds like your friend didn't use a lot of pre-marital discernment before committing. Personally, I want a credit report and full financial disclosure. Not that $$ means that much to me, but I want to know what I am getting into. Your friend aparently didn't and that must have been very distressing when she found out.

Posts 11 - 20 of 24