Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Is Love a choice??

08/17/2012 new

This struck me as I was reading comments of those "success stories." One of the women, in retelling her story, said that "Love is a choice!"
And I wondered, what does she mean? And it made me wonder... about those "Aha! moments."

So, tell us, dear friends, is love a choice or is it being struck by lightening?? lovestruck!

08/17/2012 new
(Quote) Cindy-57124 said: This struck me as I was reading comments of those "success stories." One of the women, in retelling...
(Quote) Cindy-57124 said:

This struck me as I was reading comments of those "success stories." One of the women, in retelling her story, said that "Love is a choice!"
And I wondered, what does she mean? And it made me wonder... about those "Aha! moments."

So, tell us, dear friends, is love a choice or is it being struck by lightening??

--hide--

On another forum I said something like "Love is a decision and not something you fall into." This isn't an original thought and comes from a book I read quite some time ago by Gary Smalley. I do believe in the power of unconditional love and that it can play into picking a spouse. Yes, there needs to be mutual attraction, sharing of values, a common faith, and compatible lifestyles. But I find that as I get older, the discernment of who I want in my life and whether I should marry becomes easier. I spent 23 years in a very difficult marriage and I continued to love in spite of the issues. I know in my heart of hearts that I can choose to love even if the going gets rough. So since I have done my legwork and know that we are compatible in faith, morals, family, future expectations, living arrangements, pets, finances and all the things that really matter, giving my fiance a commitment to love is easy. Probably wouldn't work for some folks, but I have every confidence that it will work for us. Hardest thing will be bringing his 2 cats into my household with 4 teenage foster sons, 2 dogs and another cat, which I'm sure will be briefly chaotic! rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
08/17/2012 new

(Quote) Cindy-57124 said: This struck me as I was reading comments of those "success stories." One of the women, i...

So, tell us, dear friends, is love a choice or is it being struck by lightening??

--hide--

Pat Lenossi always says love is a choice..If she says it..It must be true! wink

08/17/2012 new

(Quote) Cindy-57124 said: This struck me as I was reading comments of those "success stories." One of the women, i...

--hide--

I think that you have to go looking for love, so, yes, it is a choice. Else, if you're complacent, have the smarts to know when it comes a calling! lovestruck! Blinded by love

08/18/2012 new

Love is a choice like cholera in Louisiana is a choice. Boil your crabs for 8 minutes and you may get cholera. Boil your crabs for 10 and you won't.

The lesson implicit in this analogy is that you should choose to stick with tolerating the boiling waters of the search for love even if it hurts until you achieve ... cholera-free crabs or sump'n.

I hope this disquisition assists you in answering your question.

www.cdc.gov

08/18/2012 new
(Quote) Kathy-99973 said: I think that you have to go looking for love, so, yes, it is a choice. Else, if you're complacent, ...
(Quote) Kathy-99973 said:

I think that you have to go looking for love, so, yes, it is a choice. Else, if you're complacent, have the smarts to know when it comes a calling!

--hide--

Looking for love is easy...finding love is the hard part. I remember when I first started on CM two years ago, I sat back complacently, waiting for "it" to happen! "It" didn't! I thought sure that all I had to do was post my profile and the love of my life would come a calling. After a month of disappointment, I licked my wounds and started sending emotes to anyone that looked interesting from the entire worldwide spectrum of CM. I was glad the archive feature was available as I gave the guys a day or so to respond and then archived them so I didn't get disappointed at the lack of responses. Kept at it though and soon I ended up with several great male/mail friends. I knew age wasn't going to be one of my assets so I increased the volume of my emotes and messages. Had a few false starts and then suddenly that aha moment and there he was! From my experience I think it is important never to give up hope, work hard at it, pray and trust in God! Of course when I thought even He was not interested in hearing any more whining from me, I decided to name my cat, Ishi, from the book of Hosea meaning Husband! Figured if I called that name out numerous times a day, He might finally answer me. Got my answer when I found Mark - marriage planned for October. End of story!! hug
08/18/2012 new
I love this topic...just thinking here and smiling.Why can't love be a choice,along with that lighting strike? At a certain age we might need both...lol
08/18/2012 new
(Quote) GailMarie-44028 said: I love this topic...just thinking here and smiling.Why can't love be a choice,along with that lighting stri...
(Quote) GailMarie-44028 said: I love this topic...just thinking here and smiling.Why can't love be a choice,along with that lighting strike? At a certain age we might need both...lol
--hide--

Absolutely!! I love your response, GailMarie! rose hersheyskiss rose
08/18/2012 new
(Quote) Roystan-340472 said: Love is a choice like cholera in Louisiana is a choice. Boil your crabs for 8 minutes and you may get choler...
(Quote) Roystan-340472 said:

Love is a choice like cholera in Louisiana is a choice. Boil your crabs for 8 minutes and you may get cholera. Boil your crabs for 10 and you won't.

The lesson implicit in this analogy is that you should choose to stick with tolerating the boiling waters of the search for love even if it hurts until you achieve ... cholera-free crabs or sump'n.

I hope this disquisition assists you in answering your question.

www.cdc.gov

--hide--

Yup, the search for love hurts but love, just like crab, is delicious! cookie hersheyskiss cookie goldfish (not a crustacean, but as close an emote as I could find!)
08/18/2012 new
(Quote) Cindy-57124 said: This struck me as I was reading comments of those "success stories." One of the women, in retelling...

--hide--

I think sometimes when that initial rose colored glasses phase fades staying in love is always a choice....but the initial attraction is a mystery to me.... scratchchin
Posts 1 - 10 of 73