Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Sep 3rd 2012 new

(Quote) Nancy-838315 said: Maybe we can just call ourselves the "Firecrackers"?
(Quote) Nancy-838315 said:

Maybe we can just call ourselves the "Firecrackers"?

--hide--

Sounds good!

Sep 3rd 2012 new

Hi Marian:

My mother never taught me either way. On occasion, I have initiated contact throughout my life. The result ends in friendships however. I do like to be endlessly pursed by someone I am attracted to, and that they take the initiative. I enjoy hearing the stories of those who will go all out to catch the one they believe is the one for them. I believe if someone is interested enough in another, they will make contact (and this being proof of their interest)...especially when one is in the older age group...life is too short to miss an opportunity and a change of happiness.

Sep 3rd 2012 new

(Quote) Donna-848472 said: Hi Marian:My mother never taught me either way. On occasion, I have initiated contact thr...
(Quote) Donna-848472 said:

Hi Marian:

My mother never taught me either way. On occasion, I have initiated contact throughout my life. The result ends in friendships however. I do like to be endlessly pursed by someone I am attracted to, and that they take the initiative. I enjoy hearing the stories of those who will go all out to catch the one they believe is the one for them. I believe if someone is interested enough in another, they will make contact (and this being proof of their interest)...especially when one is in the older age group...life is too short to miss an opportunity and a change of happiness.

--hide--

Yes Life IS too short to miss an important opportunity for a change in happiness. I agree!

Sep 4th 2012 new

Elizabeth my mother tought me the same way the boys did the pursuing. Even in todays world I don't think I could take the initiative.

Sep 4th 2012 new

Different perspective...what about the man in church who is painfully shy??? Several weeks ago, I was introduced to a man who I have seen in church for years. We have never exchanged more than smiles, sign of peace, etc. Come to find out he is good friends with my friend's husband, and they work together. At one point, she had asked her husband if his friend even dated. He is very cautious, and a very, very slow mover. Once he does start talking, he's really funny. The jury is still out as to whether he is interested, or it was wishful thinking on her part, but at least we share conversation now.

Wrong to pursue conversation with an interesting man who I share a great deal of common ground with, including work? Thoughts? heart

Sep 4th 2012 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: Yes, we were told by our mothers that "Girls do not call boys." TRUE! Do you think I li...
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

Yes, we were told by our mothers that "Girls do not call boys." TRUE! Do you think I listened? No. I am glad for the way I walked all over that. I am wondering were all the ladies here taught this from mom? Is it a Catholic way of seeing dating?

What were the men here taught from mom in this regard? Lets' discuss. I may try to reply to the last several comments in the locked thread too...

--hide--

Yes, and many other don'ts relating to boys... embarassed

Sep 4th 2012 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: Yes, we were told by our mothers that "Girls do not call boys." TRUE! Do you think I li...
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

Yes, we were told by our mothers that "Girls do not call boys." TRUE! Do you think I listened? No. I am glad for the way I walked all over that. I am wondering were all the ladies here taught this from mom? Is it a Catholic way of seeing dating?

--hide--

Context is everything. There was no Internet, no email, no computers, no Skype video when mothers were dishing out the "Girls do not call boys" advice. It made perfect sense because the context was the real world. I would go further and say the advice is probably still relevant, at some level, today, in the REAL WORLD.

In the digital world, not so much. As I discussed in another thread (look for purple bananas), the digital world lacks many of the cues and information that we have been using for thousands of years to date and mate in the real world. Hence, the rules just might, just maybe, do ya think, need a little tweaking.

Sep 4th 2012 new

(Quote) Andrew-865848 said: Context is everything. There was no Internet, no email, no computers, no Skype vide...
(Quote) Andrew-865848 said:

Context is everything. There was no Internet, no email, no computers, no Skype video when mothers were dishing out the "Girls do not call boys" advice. It made perfect sense because the context was the real world. I would go further and say the advice is probably still relevant, at some level, today, in the REAL WORLD.

In the digital world, not so much. As I discussed in another thread (look for purple bananas), the digital world lacks many of the cues and information that we have been using for thousands of years to date and mate in the real world. Hence, the rules just might, just maybe, do ya think, need a little tweaking.

--hide--

I think they need a LOT of tweaking, but that's my opinion. I have also been told, more than once here, that I am forward and aggressive because I will send an email. That seems to come from a small percentage of men, but many, many women? ah well heart

Sep 4th 2012 new

(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said: Different perspective...what about the man in church who is painfully shy??? Several weeks ag...
(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said:

Different perspective...what about the man in church who is painfully shy??? Several weeks ago, I was introduced to a man who I have seen in church for years. We have never exchanged more than smiles, sign of peace, etc. Come to find out he is good friends with my friend's husband, and they work together. At one point, she had asked her husband if his friend even dated. He is very cautious, and a very, very slow mover. Once he does start talking, he's really funny. The jury is still out as to whether he is interested, or it was wishful thinking on her part, but at least we share conversation now.

Wrong to pursue conversation with an interesting man who I share a great deal of common ground with, including work? Thoughts?

--hide--

Not wrong at all! This is good! Excellent in fact! A very good example of why a woman might make some sort of move.

Sep 4th 2012 new

(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said: (Quote) Andrew-865848 said: Context is everything. There ...
(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said:

Quote:
Andrew-865848 said:

I think they need a LOT of tweaking, but that's my opinion. I have also been told, more than once here, that I am forward and aggressive because I will send an email. That seems to come from a small percentage of men, but many, many women? ah well

--hide--

Men and women both need to get used to a more friendly approach (that suggests interest but is not seen as such a big deal). That would be some tweaking we could all use.

Posts 41 - 50 of 80