Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Sep 30th 2012 new

(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said: Amen, Amen I say to you!!! I'm the same way offline. Life is too much fun to sit through ...
(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said:

Amen, Amen I say to you!!! I'm the same way offline. Life is too much fun to sit through it on the sidelines!!

--hide--

And Amen Amen I say to you !!!! Definitely jump into the game! And have some fun!

Sep 30th 2012 new

I was taught that when a girl called a boy she was not the type of girl that boy should spend time with. :-) BUT my mother is "old South" and very traditional. I value Southern traditions (really, not Southern so much as the way genteel people behave) but do like it when a young lady takes an interest in me and has the confidence to say so. In modern times, I think it is OK for a lady to pursue a gentleman LIGHTLY. Women who pursue me hard scare me away, because it seems as though they're after something.

Sep 30th 2012 new

(Quote) Dan-656122 said: I don't believe it to be wrong to pursue conversation with an interesting man. It&#...
(Quote) Dan-656122 said:

I don't believe it to be wrong to pursue conversation with an interesting man. It's a great way of letting him know you're interested and in all honesty, you can determine if you're interested. You never know what can happen when you talk with someone. They might be interesting to you or they may not. It's the beauty in getting to know someone. Now if you walked up to him, squeezed his bottom and said, "yo, wud up!" Then that'd be too agressive.

--hide--

Dan, I think my beliefs echo what you have written in your summary. :-)

Oct 1st 2012 new

(Quote) Dan-656122 said: (Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said: Different perspective...what about the man in...
(Quote) Dan-656122 said:

Quote:
AnneMarie-641597 said:

Different perspective...what about the man in church who is painfully shy??? Several weeks ago, I was introduced to a man who I have seen in church for years. We have never exchanged more than smiles, sign of peace, etc. Come to find out he is good friends with my friend's husband, and they work together. At one point, she had asked her husband if his friend even dated. He is very cautious, and a very, very slow mover. Once he does start talking, he's really funny. The jury is still out as to whether he is interested, or it was wishful thinking on her part, but at least we share conversation now.

Wrong to pursue conversation with an interesting man who I share a great deal of common ground with, including work? Thoughts?

I don't believe it to be wrong to pursue conversation with an interesting man. It's a great way of letting him know you're interested and in all honesty, you can determine if you're interested. You never know what can happen when you talk with someone. They might be interesting to you or they may not. It's the beauty in getting to know someone. Now if you walked up to him, squeezed his bottom and said, "yo, wud up!" Then that'd be too agressive.

--hide--

Thank you Dan!

Oct 1st 2012 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: Yes, we were told by our mothers that "Girls do not call boys." TRUE! Do you think I li...
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

Yes, we were told by our mothers that "Girls do not call boys." TRUE! Do you think I listened? No. I am glad for the way I walked all over that. I am wondering were all the ladies here taught this from mom? Is it a Catholic way of seeing dating?

What were the men here taught from mom in this regard? Lets' discuss. I may try to reply to the last several comments in the locked thread too...

--hide--

You know, I was taught that too Marian and I really don't have a problem with that. I would prefer that initially, the gentleman take the lead and call me first. I have called men first on previous occasions, but it felt odd.

Many of the mothers who taught us this custom wanted to instill respect in us. They wanted us to respect and value ourselves while reminding us that men should take a lead in a relationship. God bless mothers! rose heart

Oct 1st 2012 new

(Quote) Maia-181886 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: Yes, we were told by our mothers that "Girl...
(Quote) Maia-181886 said:

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

Yes, we were told by our mothers that "Girls do not call boys." TRUE! Do you think I listened? No. I am glad for the way I walked all over that. I am wondering were all the ladies here taught this from mom? Is it a Catholic way of seeing dating?

What were the men here taught from mom in this regard? Lets' discuss. I may try to reply to the last several comments in the locked thread too...

You know, I was taught that too Marian and I really don't have a problem with that. I would prefer that initially, the gentleman take the lead and call me first. I have called men first on previous occasions, but it felt odd.

Many of the mothers who taught us this custom wanted to instill respect in us. They wanted us to respect and value ourselves while reminding us that men should take a lead in a relationship. God bless mothers!

--hide--

Yes. It is mothers who teach respect. God Bless Mothers.

Oct 1st 2012 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: Yes. It is mothers who teach respect. God Bless Mothers.

--hide--
Yes Marian, God bless Mothers

Oct 1st 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: Yes. It is mothers who teach respect. G...
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said:

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

Yes Marian, God bless Mothers

--hide--

Thank you Jerry. They are very important to all of us! Today is the Feast of St Therese of the Little Flower. A special feast.

Oct 1st 2012 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: (Quote) Maia-181886 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: <...

Quote:
Maia-181886 said:

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

Many of the mothers who taught us this custom wanted to instill respect in us. They wanted us to respect and value ourselves while reminding us that men should take a lead in a relationship. God bless mothers!

--hide--

And you know Marian, that advice to allow boys/men to initiate calls, is also associated with our mothers' teachings to refrain from inappropriate sexual behavior prior to marriage, i.e. pre-marital sex. What our mothers were doing (and what many still do) is laying the foundation for their daughters to distinguish between appropriate and inappropriate behavior.

Because sexual sin is among the most vile, these mothers weren't just telling us to refrain from pre-marital relations, they were instilling that respect in us for ourselves and for God. Sexual sin is unlike many other offenses because it tends to have a huge ripple effect in society. It is an especially heinous sin that pains the soul greatly. Our dear moms were trying to raise their daughters in the light of God.

Oct 1st 2012 new

The man is the hunter, the pursuer as spiritual head of the family. my mom has reminde me of this a few times while i grew up. I have no issue about dropping a hankie but if a man is not interested in picking it up. Then thats that. This chica babe is not about chasing the dude. Just sayin!!

Posts 61 - 70 of 80