Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Oct 1st 2012 new

(Quote) Maia-181886 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: (Quote) Maia-181886 said:
(Quote) Maia-181886 said:

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

Quote:
Maia-181886 said:

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

Yes, we were told by our mothers that "Girls do not call boys." TRUE! Do you think I listened? No. I am glad for the way I walked all over that. I am wondering were all the ladies here taught this from mom? Is it a Catholic way of seeing dating?

What were the men here taught from mom in this regard? Lets' discuss. I may try to reply to the last several comments in the locked thread too...

You know, I was taught that too Marian and I really don't have a problem with that. I would prefer that initially, the gentleman take the lead and call me first. I have called men first on previous occasions, but it felt odd.

Many of the mothers who taught us this custom wanted to instill respect in us. They wanted us to respect and value ourselves while reminding us that men should take a lead in a relationship. God bless mothers!

Yes. It is mothers who teach respect. God Bless Mothers.

And you know Marian, that advice to allow boys/men to initiate calls, is also associated with our mothers' teachings to refrain from inappropriate sexual behavior prior to marriage, i.e. pre-marital sex. What our mothers were doing (and what many still do) is laying the foundation for their daughters to distinguish between appropriate and inappropriate behavior.

Because sexual sin is among the most vile, these mothers weren't just telling us to refrain from pre-marital relations, they were instilling that respect in us for ourselves and for God. Sexual sin is unlike many other offenses because it tends to have a huge ripple effect in society. It is an especially heinous sin that pains the soul greatly. Our dear moms were trying to raise their daughters in the light of God.

--hide--

Excellent post Maia! thumbsup

Oct 2nd 2012 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: Yes, we were told by our mothers that "Girls do not call boys." TRUE! Do you think I li...
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

Yes, we were told by our mothers that "Girls do not call boys." TRUE! Do you think I listened? No. I am glad for the way I walked all over that. I am wondering were all the ladies here taught this from mom? Is it a Catholic way of seeing dating?

What were the men here taught from mom in this regard? Lets' discuss. I may try to reply to the last several comments in the locked thread too...

--hide--

At this point in time I try very hard to listen to the Holy Spirit Dove in terms of what God wants me to do with communicating with anyone and how. It is not always easy, I suppose. I try to make myself available to God in various ways and hope that God sees fit to send someone my way who might be a good match. As far as do I call guys or originate communication? It has never worked very well on this site but I have done it. This site tends to have a lot of men who may not be open to that. I am used to being pretty open and friendly but one has to know what environment one is in and know what the customs are.

I would add that things may have changed in the past 10 years over time as to how men and women see one another in these online environments. It does not have all that much to do with whatever mom said because this is a very differnt environment and was unheard of 30 years ago.
Of Course most of our mothers teach respect and that never changes. theheart

Oct 4th 2012 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: At this point in time I try very hard to listen to the Holy Spirit in terms of what God w...

At this point in time I try very hard to listen to the Holy Spirit in terms of what God wants me to do with communicating with anyone and how. It is not always easy, I suppose. I try to make myself available to God in various ways and hope that God sees fit to send someone my way who might be a good match. As far as do I call guys or originate communication? It has never worked very well on this site but I have done it. This site tends to have a lot of men who may not be open to that. I am used to being pretty open and friendly but one has to know what environment one is in and know what the customs are.

I would add that things may have changed in the past 10 years over time as to how men and women see one another in these online environments. It does not have all that much to do with whatever mom said because this is a very differnt environment and was unheard of 30 years ago.
Of Course most of our mothers teach respect and that never changes.

--hide--

I think the Holy Spirit inspires us ladies on carrying out our mother's teachings. Many things have changed, but you are correct that some things have remained the same, such as respect - for our bodies, others and ourselves.

There was probably a time when some girls growing up called their mother's advice 'old fashioned.' But again, those mothers were wise because their teachings are timeless, about calling boys, dating, etc. rose heart

Oct 4th 2012 new

(Quote) Maia-181886 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: At this point in time I try very hard to...

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

At this point in time I try very hard to listen to the Holy Spirit in terms of what God wants me to do with communicating with anyone and how. It is not always easy, I suppose. I try to make myself available to God in various ways and hope that God sees fit to send someone my way who might be a good match. As far as do I call guys or originate communication? It has never worked very well on this site but I have done it. This site tends to have a lot of men who may not be open to that. I am used to being pretty open and friendly but one has to know what environment one is in and know what the customs are.

I think the Holy Spirit inspires us ladies on carrying out our mother's teachings. Many things have changed, but you are correct that some things have remained the same, such as respect - for our bodies, others and ourselves.

There was probably a time when some girls growing up called their mother's advice 'old fashioned.' But again, those mothers were wise because their teachings are timeless, about calling boys, dating, etc.

--hide--

Yes Mothers do teach respect. When I meet a person who shows respect, I know who to give credit to.

Oct 4th 2012 new

(Quote) Maia-181886 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: At this point in time I try very hard to...

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

There was probably a time when some girls growing up called their mother's advice 'old fashioned.' But again, those mothers were wise because their teachings are timeless, about calling boys, dating, etc.

--hide--

I agree iwth you that the Holy Spirit is very active in assisting Mothers in raising and teaching their children. Thank you for mentioning this Maya! Dove

Oct 4th 2012 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: Yes, we were told by our mothers that "Girls do not call boys." TRUE! Do you think I li...

--hide--

No I actually was told by my Dad that. He went a step further.... My freshman year he told me if another boy called he would send me to a all girls school... LOL I told the boys not to call any more... LOL

Oct 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Donna-521814 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: Yes, we were told by our mothers that "Gir...
(Quote) Donna-521814 said:

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

No I actually was told by my Dad that. He went a step further.... My freshman year he told me if another boy called he would send me to a all girls school... LOL I told the boys not to call any more... LOL

--hide--

OH OK! That was unexpected! Good Laugh! laughing

Oct 19th 2012 new
The Fox and the Grapes One hot summer's day a Fox was strolling through an orchard till he came to a bunch of Grapes just ripening on a vine which had been trained over a lofty branch. "Just the thing to quench my thirst," quoth he. Drawing back a few paces, he took a run and a jump, and just missed the bunch. Turning round again with a One, Two, Three, he jumped up, but with no greater success. Again and again he tried after the tempting morsel, but at last had to give it up, and walked away with his nose in the air, saying: "I am sure they are sour." It is easy to despise what you cannot get.

Ladies, ladies, ladies . . . . tsk tsk tsk. Let's make sure our professed dislike for carnal intimacy is premised upon a desire for God and not some baser selfish motive.
Oct 19th 2012 new

wink

Oct 19th 2012 new

It's the internal disposition rather than the external apparatus which God sees. Are we chaste because we exercised a virtue or because we have struck out or despaired of being able to be unchaste?

I'm NOT trying to insult anyone here or make waves. We must examine our motives. What we do must be motivated by love of God. It's very good to avoid sin in all matters, but it is especially good when we avoid sin solely because we love God.

Posts 71 - 80 of 80