Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

Tattoos

Sep 2nd 2012 new
What is the church's stance on tattoos?
Sep 3rd 2012 new

(Quote) Kurt-876791 said: What is the church's stance on tattoos?
--hide--

I can't say that I am correct in regards to Church's stance. I would have to see it in writing but I do not see that it is a "sin." I think the Church's stance is more worried about the scars and defilement you do on one's soul. Also, in regards to tattoo's, yes those who put occult or the like, states something about the person and where there mentalityis at. I personally do not find tatoo's offensive, if they are done tastefully, unless they are all of one's body. Remember when we die, our body is going to turn to ashes in the ground. Also, one should remember what is going to look like when you get older and your skin isn't the same, as well any infection, etc. caused by getting a tattoo.

One of my favorite scripture versus comes from the old testament is ...blunt offerings you seek not but a humble and contrite heart oh, Lord you will not spurn." That was the message of Jesus Christ, defilement to the soul and that does not come from putting a painting on your skin.

Just my two cents

Sep 3rd 2012 new
Ok thanks
Sep 3rd 2012 new

It is written in the bible, in Leviticus 19:28 "Do not cut your bodies or put tatoo marks on yourselves. I am the Lord."

Our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit.

Sep 3rd 2012 new
Thank you
Sep 3rd 2012 new
(Quote) Cindy-534370 said: It is written in the bible, in Leviticus 19:28 "Do not cut your bodies or put tatoo marks on yourselves. I...
(Quote) Cindy-534370 said:

It is written in the bible, in Leviticus 19:28 "Do not cut your bodies or put tatoo marks on yourselves. I am the Lord."

--hide--

Sounds pretty clear to me.
Sep 3rd 2012 new

(Quote) Cindy-534370 said: It is written in the bible, in Leviticus 19:28 "Do not cut your bodies or put tatoo marks on...
(Quote) Cindy-534370 said:

--hide--

The old testament has a lot of other rituals that we no longer adhere to.

I do not endorse getting tattoos but if someone truly wants one and it is done with style and taste, it is not the end of the world.

Our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit and yet people do vile things it, other than tattoos scratchchin shhh

The attitude and state of one's mind and soul is what essential.

Sep 3rd 2012 new

(Quote) Mary-25961 said: The old testament has a lot of other rituals that we no longer adhere to. I do not ...
(Quote) Mary-25961 said:

I do not endorse getting tattoos but if someone truly wants one and it is done with style and taste, it is not the end of the world.

Our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit and yet people do vile things it, other than tattoos

--hide--

clap Your last line reminded me of one detail of yesterday's homily:

Mark 7:15 - "Nothing that enters one from outside can defile that person; but the things that come out from within are what defile."

The argument was about food initially, but Jesus broadens it, says that what defiles people, what dirties and sullies them, is only what comes out of their hearts. Ink itself is something from the outside. One's intent in getting it and choice of design is what comes from the inside and, therefore, determines whether getting the tattoo is a good thing or not.

Sep 3rd 2012 new

--hide--
As a newcomer to the CM forums, we welcome you, Kurt.

If you check the "Catechetics, Apologetics and Liturgy" room, you'll find the same topic which was started 2 months ago. I just posted something there so you won't have to dig back too far. The topic is entitled "Tattoos: A matter of faith & morals?"

It's a controversial issue among individuals, and if you read the varying opinions, you'll get the idea. In any event, there's enough food for thought in that thread.

Sep 3rd 2012 new

(Quote) Mary-25961 said: (Quote) Cindy-534370 said: It is written in the bible, in Leviticus 19:28 &q...
(Quote) Mary-25961 said:

Quote:
Cindy-534370 said:

Our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit and yet people do vile things it, other than tattoos

--hide--

Hi Mary,
I am not implying my own thoughts but just giving the sources of where it came from. Jesus said, "I came to fulfill the law not to abolish it."
Therefore in this sense it still remains. This is not my opinion, I haven't voiced my own opinion on this matter.

Posts 1 - 10 of 40