Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

09/04/2012 new

(Quote) Mary-25961 said: (Quote) Cindy-534370 said: Hi Mary,I am not implying my own thou...
(Quote) Mary-25961 said:

Quote:
Cindy-534370 said:

Hi Mary,
I am not implying my own thoughts but just giving the sources of where it came from. Jesus said, "I came to fulfill the law not to abolish it."
Therefore in this sense it still remains. This is not my opinion, I haven't voiced my own opinion on this matter.

Cindy, scripture versus have many different meanings by the person who reads them. "I came to fulfill the law not to abolish it." May also mean the fullfilment of God's law and plans for humanity. Otherwise Jesus Christ would not have condemned the letter of the law that the Jewish Leader forced on the people.

--hide--

Mary,
I am a little or alot behind here, would you kindly tell me where this letter of the law is written, in reference, I forgot about this, what letter of the law?

09/04/2012 new
(Quote) Cindy-534370 said: Yes, I would guess so, like everything else, choose the ones you want to do or not. I have to read on...
(Quote) Cindy-534370 said:

Yes, I would guess so, like everything else, choose the ones you want to do or not. I have to read on, but this one in particular was given to us by God, for He said, I am the Lord, your God. He doesn't explain why, except to say what not to do, because He doesn't have to, He is our Father.

--hide--

The prohibition against tattoos, part of the ceremonial law on yhe Old Testament, was only given to the nation of Israel. Gentiles are not under any obligation to follow it. Same goes for the Old Testament dietary laws and circumcision.
09/04/2012 new

(Quote) David-562122 said: (Quote) Cindy-534370 said: Yes, I would guess so, like everything else, ...
(Quote) David-562122 said:
Quote:
Cindy-534370 said:

Yes, I would guess so, like everything else, choose the ones you want to do or not. I have to read on, but this one in particular was given to us by God, for He said, I am the Lord, your God. He doesn't explain why, except to say what not to do, because He doesn't have to, He is our Father.

The prohibition against tattoos, part of the ceremonial law on yhe Old Testament, was only given to the nation of Israel. Gentiles are not under any obligation to follow it. Same goes for the Old Testament dietary laws and circumcision.
--hide--

I appreciate what you are saying, but consider that they are our ancestors and that the God of Israel is also our God.

I am not giving any of my own opinions but just filtering through the facts. I am always keeping in mind that the Scriptures is the Word of God.

09/04/2012 new
(Quote) Cindy-534370 said: I appreciate what you are saying, but consider that they are our ancestors and that the God of Isra...

I appreciate what you are saying, but consider that they are our ancestors and that the God of Israel is also our God.

I am not giving any of my own opinions but just filtering through the facts. I am always keeping in mind that the Scriptures is the Word of God.

--hide--

They are our ancestors in a spiritual sense as we are children of Abraham through our faith. But if you read Acts chapter 15 it states quite clearly that Gentile Christians are only obligated to abstain from idolatry, fornication, and eating food where the animal is strangles to death or eaten with the blood in it.

These three laws are part of the 7 laws given to Noah and his descendants, the other four are against murder , theft, adultery, blasphemy, and establishing courts of law.

Think of tattooing like smoking cigarettes. Both are permissible to Christians but not necessarily beneficial. If our bodies are temples to God then we should probably not practices these things. But a Christian tattoo wouldn't violate this.

Not every law given to the Israelites has a clear reason behind it. For example, Circumcision may have benefits but it's not conclusive from what I hear.
09/04/2012 new
(Quote) David-562122 said: They are our ancestors in a spiritual sense as we are children of Abraham through our faith. But if you re...

They are our ancestors in a spiritual sense as we are children of Abraham through our faith. But if you read Acts chapter 15 it states quite clearly that Gentile Christians are only obligated to abstain from idolatry, fornication, and eating food where the animal is strangles to death or eaten with the blood in it.

These three laws are part of the 7 laws given to Noah and his descendants, the other four are against murder , theft, adultery, blasphemy, and establishing courts of law.

Think of tattooing like smoking cigarettes. Both are permissible to Christians but not necessarily beneficial. If our bodies are temples to God then we should probably not practices these things. But a Christian tattoo wouldn't violate this.

Not every law given to the Israelites has a clear reason behind it. For example, Circumcision may have benefits but it's not conclusive from what I hear.
--hide--

Pardon me. I put down eight by mistake. Adultery and fornication are under the same law.
09/04/2012 new

(Quote) David-562122 said: (Quote) David-562122 said: They are our ancestors in a spiritual sense as we are...
Quote:
David-562122 said:

Pardon me. I put down eight by mistake. Adultery and fornication are under the same law.
--hide--

That's OK. I have to read up on this a little more.

09/04/2012 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: There was an Old Testament quote, but all-in-all, there really isn't anything definitive about ...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

There was an Old Testament quote, but all-in-all, there really isn't anything definitive about non-offensive tattoos specifically mentioned in the Bible.

--hide--

Hi Ray, I was hoping that we found out that it was scriptural correct when people refer to a certain scripture quotes that they interpret it as catholic teaching regarding tattoos. Or that it was written in Catholic teaching such as the Catholic Catechism where it is outlined, rather than people's interpretation of the scripture.

Thanks for the feed back

09/04/2012 new
(Quote) Mary-25961 said: Hi Ray, I was hoping that we found out that it was scriptural correct when people refer to a certain scr...
(Quote) Mary-25961 said:

Hi Ray, I was hoping that we found out that it was scriptural correct when people refer to a certain scripture quotes that they interpret it as catholic teaching regarding tattoos. Or that it was written in Catholic teaching such as the Catholic Catechism where it is outlined, rather than people's interpretation of the scripture.

Thanks for the feed back

--hide--

I don't see anything in the CCC index regarding tatooing.
09/04/2012 new

(Quote) David-562122 said: I don't see anything in the CCC index regarding tatooing.

I don't see anything in the CCC index regarding tatooing.
--hide--

Thank you, that is exactly my point. There is no interpretation in the Catholic teaching against tattoos. We may interpret Scripture as individuals but that does not mean that it is against the church's teachings..

09/04/2012 new

(Quote) Cindy-534370 said: Yes, I would guess so, like everything else, choose the ones you want to do or not. I hav...

--hide--

I the time that this law was written (and I'm not sure how long thereafter), tattoos and making cuts into the flesh were parts of ritualistic worship to false gods, hence, He says, "I am the Lord, your God." He was forbidding them from worshiping other gods. It was not necessarily the what but the why. Tattoos do not have the same meaning any longer. Some of the kosher food laws had similar reasons and were lifted because they were no longer relevant by the time of Christ. It is the same type of prohibition as cremation. Cremation was not, to the best of my knowledge forbidden in Scripture, but it was forbidden for a time by the Church. The reason was that people were doing it as a protest against the belief in the resurrection of the body. Now that this is no longer an issue, the Church no longer has a problem with cremation. Likewise, married priests. This has not always been the rule and could possibly change in the future, but for now, it serves a relevant purpose. I'm sure there are more, but these are what I can think of off the top of my head.

Posts 21 - 30 of 40