Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

Sep 24th 2012 new

Here is an article on Fr.Longenecker's story on the first time he went to a Latin Mass.

www.dwightlongenecker.com

Sep 24th 2012 new

(Quote) Cindy-534370 said: Here is an article on Fr.Longenecker's story on the first time he went to a Latin Mass. <...
(Quote) Cindy-534370 said:

Here is an article on Fr.Longenecker's story on the first time he went to a Latin Mass.

--hide--

Thank you Cindy. I share his dismay. SOmehting with such beautiful potential gets weighed down in anger and despair and bitterness.

Where are faith hope and love in all of this? It would be truly wonderful if the Traditionalist Movement expressed a deep Faith Hops and Love in their beautiful liturgies. They would not be sterile and angry. there would be less suspicious regard of visitors. They have such a great gift, why hide it under the bushel of anger, bitterness and depsair?

Sep 24th 2012 new

sorry for the typos above. (tiny keyboard meets big clumbsy fingers.)

if the attitude and tone were different. if they welcomed curious visitors rather than regarding them with suspicion and even outright hostility. their masses would be packed to the rafters. the bishops would have to take note. why the insular fussiness and distrust?

what a beautiful liturgy - why not pack it with deep interior faith, hope, and above all love? there'd be no stopping them.

Sep 24th 2012 new

(Quote) Cindy-534370 said: Here is an article on Fr.Longenecker's story on the first time he went to a Latin Mass. <...
(Quote) Cindy-534370 said:

--hide--

This is thoughtful. Such potential. Why must the tenor often be as he describes?

Sep 24th 2012 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: (Quote) Cindy-534370 said: Here is an article on Fr.Longenecker's stor...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

Quote:
Cindy-534370 said:

This is thoughtful. Such potential. Why must the tenor often be as he describes?

--hide--

Thoughtful? Hardly. Just another example of modernism in action: it's all about his feelings, not about the Mass. Just another example of someone expecting the liturgy to move toward them instead of making the effort to move toward the liturgy. I can somewhat understand articles like this from the laity; a priest could have, and should have, done a much better job.

Sep 24th 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Thoughtful? Hardly. Just another example of modernism in action: it's all about his f...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

Thoughtful? Hardly. Just another example of modernism in action: it's all about his feelings, not about the Mass. Just another example of someone expecting the liturgy to move toward them instead of making the effort to move toward the liturgy. I can somewhat understand articles like this from the laity; a priest could have, and should have, done a much better job.

--hide--

or it could be an honest account of the impression visitors receive at a TLM.

the TLM is like the WWF. i love the spectacle, but can't bear the crowd.

heart

Sep 24th 2012 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: or it could be an honest account of the impression visitors receive at a TLM. the ...

or it could be an honest account of the impression visitors receive at a TLM.

the TLM is like the WWF. i love the spectacle, but can't bear the crowd.

--hide--

Q.E.D.

Sep 25th 2012 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: Five years ago, I took my 14 year old son to a TLM at St John Cantius in Chicago. As we we...

Five years ago, I took my 14 year old son to a TLM at St John Cantius in Chicago. As we were waiting for the bus to go home, I asked him what he thought. He said: "The Mass and the music were beautiful, but just about everyone there was bat---- crazy." His exact words. I wish it were otherwise, because I love the Latin Mass, but it seems to appeal to a very particular type. There are the barking mad sedevacantists. There are the insular and delusional SSPXers. The Anti-Semitism is appalling. There are the self righteous who see themselves as God's faithful remanant and exalt in pointing out that everyone else is going to hell. I had one nut chase me out into the parking lot after midnight Mass on Christmas Eve while I was carrying my infant son. She was screaming that i would go to hell because I attended the NO Mass most of the time. She chanted "you're going to hell" as I walked to the car. My son was screaming in terror. I finally turned around and asked how she was so certain of this. She said "I just know." So I told her to look around for me when she gets there and see if I'm there too. I thought she was going to hit me. They live in a delusional mindset where everything and everyone (but them) is evil. They keep their children at home. They refuse to interact with anyone. They adore conspiracuy theories. They imagine and say awful things about the Church, the Holy See, and the Pope. "Archbishop" Williamson is a manifestly insane Jew-hater and holocaust denier. He is disobedient. Yet people love the guy.

Some FSSP priests are beginning to address this in print and from the pulpit. the faithful remnant is outraged that they are somewhat less than perfect. They delight in cataloging the defects of others in the Church but they wail like calves in a hailstorm when anyone points out their many shortcomings. I wonder why that is? Perhaps it's because they have their own wills confused with the will of Almighty God, so anyone who notices their flaws is attacking not only them but God as well.

--hide--

So you went to a TLM once 5 years ago, and discovered all this negativity about the people there in one mass?

Sep 25th 2012 new

(Quote) Jacqueline-556574 said: So you went to a TLM once 5 years ago, and discovered all this negativity about the ...
(Quote) Jacqueline-556574 said:

So you went to a TLM once 5 years ago, and discovered all this negativity about the people there in one mass?

--hide--

I've been going 2 or 3 times a year since the 1980's. The crowds are mmor eor less the same. Along with many good and devout people, a substantial minority of those in attendance were bitter malcontents, pharisees, conspiracy-obsessed nuts, and rabid Jew-haters.

Sep 25th 2012 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: I've been going 2 or 3 times a year since the 1980's. The crowds are mmor eor less th...

I've been going 2 or 3 times a year since the 1980's. The crowds are mmor eor less the same. Along with many good and devout people, a substantial minority of those in attendance were bitter malcontents, pharisees, conspiracy-obsessed nuts, and rabid Jew-haters.

--hide--

Perhaps things might be improved if you prayed for these same people each time your tempted to launch into one of these tirades, and perhaps even fasted from time to time.

Posts 61 - 70 of 110