Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

Sep 25th 2012 new
(Quote) I've been going 2 or 3 times a year since the 1980's. The crowds are mmor eor less the same. Along with many good and devout people,...
(Quote) I've been going 2 or 3 times a year since the 1980's. The crowds are mmor eor less the same. Along with many good and devout people, a substantial minority of those in attendance were bitter malcontents, pharisees, conspiracy-obsessed nuts, and rabid Jew-haters.
--hide--
And i have attended the Ordinary form of the Mass several times a year since the mid 80's. There i observe constant noise before during and after Mass usually about sports or gossip. Altar girls playing with their hair and wearing scandalous clothing under the robes. Priest who sit while hordes of lay men and women distribute communion to a handful of people. Music appropriate for a pub. People running willy nilly to shake someones hand, the use of home made breads and wine for the concecration ( bread had NUTS in it). Priests giving general absolution and telling people it counts for going to confession. Do i need to go on? The "average parish" has its nuts too. Pope haters, bishop haters, abortion fanatics, even anti semites. So to make a blanket statement about Trad Catholics is disengenuous at best.
Sep 25th 2012 new

(Quote) Tim-734178 said: (Quote) I've been going 2 or 3 times a year since the 1980's. The crowds are mmor eor less the same...
(Quote) Tim-734178 said:
Quote:
I've been going 2 or 3 times a year since the 1980's. The crowds are mmor eor less the same. Along with many good and devout people, a substantial minority of those in attendance were bitter malcontents, pharisees, conspiracy-obsessed nuts, and rabid Jew-haters.

And i have attended the Ordinary form of the Mass several times a year since the mid 80's. There i observe constant noise before during and after Mass usually about sports or gossip. Altar girls playing with their hair and wearing scandalous clothing under the robes. Priest who sit while hordes of lay men and women distribute communion to a handful of people. Music appropriate for a pub. People running willy nilly to shake someones hand, the use of home made breads and wine for the concecration ( bread had NUTS in it). Priests giving general absolution and telling people it counts for going to confession. Do i need to go on? The "average parish" has its nuts too. Pope haters, bishop haters, abortion fanatics, even anti semites. So to make a blanket statement about Trad Catholics is disengenuous at best.

--hide--

Two wrongs don't make a right (i.e., the NO abuses don't excuse the trad behavior; if anything, you'd think they'd be especially careful to avoid exactly the type of scandal David is pointing out).

My suggestion to David applies here, as well.

Sep 25th 2012 new
Sorry Jerry. The point i was trying to make was that sadly there are problems everywhere. Are they the norm? I hope not!! Do they occur? Yes. So instead of pointing fingers at this group or that, orthodoxy is what we must strive for. We are Not united im how we worship ( many different rites). We are unified in right belief and adherance to the Holy Father.
Sep 25th 2012 new

(Quote) Tim-734178 said: And i have attended the Ordinary form of the Mass several times a year since the mid 80's. There i obs...
(Quote) Tim-734178 said: And i have attended the Ordinary form of the Mass several times a year since the mid 80's. There i observe constant noise before during and after Mass usually about sports or gossip. Altar girls playing with their hair and wearing scandalous clothing under the robes. Priest who sit while hordes of lay men and women distribute communion to a handful of people. Music appropriate for a pub. People running willy nilly to shake someones hand, the use of home made breads and wine for the concecration ( bread had NUTS in it). Priests giving general absolution and telling people it counts for going to confession. Do i need to go on? The "average parish" has its nuts too. Pope haters, bishop haters, abortion fanatics, even anti semites. So to make a blanket statement about Trad Catholics is disengenuous at best.
--hide--

if every mass in the world were a TLM and there was no NO mass, then this is how people would act at the TLM. read collections of sermons. the cure d'ars complained bitterly about this sort of thing in the very early1800's. read back issues of american catholic magazines from the 1950's and easrlier. same complaints you jus made. the only reason people behave better at the TLM is that they'r there by choice.

Sep 25th 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Perhaps things might be improved if you prayed for these same people each time your tempt...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

Perhaps things might be improved if you prayed for these same people each time your tempted to launch into one of these tirades, and perhaps even fasted from time to time.

--hide--

how do you know i don't do this?

Sep 25th 2012 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: (Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Perhaps things might be improved if you prayed f...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

Quote:
Jerry-74383 said:

Perhaps things might be improved if you prayed for these same people each time your tempted to launch into one of these tirades, and perhaps even fasted from time to time.

how do you know i don't do this?

--hide--

Notice my conditions: (1) each time, and (2) when tempted (i.e., not afterward). If you did so, we wouldn't be reading your repeated rants on the subject. Any legitimate discussion of the topic does not require the inflammatory name-calling.

Sep 25th 2012 new
My point David is that there are nuts and bad practice everywhere. NO and TLM alike. So as a whole to make the accusation against any group due to the crappy behavior of some or even many is wrong.
Sep 25th 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Notice my conditions: (1) each time, and (2) when tempted (i.e., not afterward). If you d...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

Notice my conditions: (1) each time, and (2) when tempted (i.e., not afterward). If you did so, we wouldn't be reading your repeated rants on the subject. Any legitimate discussion of the topic does not require the inflammatory name-calling.

--hide--

Bow yezzir bozzz.

Sep 25th 2012 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: (Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Notice my conditions: (1) each time, an...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

Quote:
Jerry-74383 said:

yezzir bozzz.

--hide--

The proof will be in the posting... wink

Sep 26th 2012 new

Jim;

Good question. I have never heard this stereotype before about Traditional Catholics. I do like your views on the Traditional Latin Mass, you are most correct in this assessment. However, it doesn't mean in any way that you're not allowed to use your God given temperament and personality. An outgoing personality is a real gift, people, especially introverted people, really need extroverts like you to get them talking, lol. Introverts aren't hermits, they value friends and time with other people as well, they just don't actively pursue it as well as extraverts. And I say this from experience. Hope this helps.

Posts 71 - 80 of 110