Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

Oct 6th 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: I have not gone yet. I don't know if I c...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

I have not gone yet. I don't know if I can get through it without knowing where I am .....Are you able to follow the mass when you go? I probably shoudl stop talking and go try it out...

Here are some resources that may be helpful:

A narrated video of the traditional Mass explaining the meaning:
youtu.be

Tips for Participating in the Traditional Latin mass:
www.mediafire.com

--hide--

Thanks Jerry. I will study these links!

Oct 7th 2012 new

(Quote) Jim-388330 said: All, As much as it may seem ridiculous to ask this question, I have had this discussion ...
(Quote) Jim-388330 said:

All,

As much as it may seem ridiculous to ask this question, I have had this discussion with someone before, and there seems to be an unfortunate stereotype that float around with the traditionalist label.

I've always viewed the Traditional Latin Mass to be an opportunity to give more time and prayer to our Lord such that we may hope to obtain special graces for our efforts, not only for ourselves, but for others as well. Does that mean I cannot at the same time employ my rather extraverted personality Have others seen this stereotype as well?

God bless,
Jim

--hide--

I don't think so. We are quiet and reverent when it is appropriate to be so. I think the misunderstanding is that in the New Mass the focus is taken away from our King and focuses on our neighbor which makes it impossible for me to concentrate on the reason for being there in teh first place. I can see where the misconception comes into play but we can be a loud obnoxious bunch too, we just don't do it at Mass :)

Oct 7th 2012 new

(Quote) Bridget-676758 said: I don't think so. We are quiet and reverent when it is appropriate to be so. I thin...
(Quote) Bridget-676758 said:

I don't think so. We are quiet and reverent when it is appropriate to be so. I think the misunderstanding is that in the New Mass the focus is taken away from our King and focuses on our neighbor which makes it impossible for me to concentrate on the reason for being there in teh first place. I can see where the misconception comes into play but we can be a loud obnoxious bunch too, we just don't do it at Mass :)

--hide--

Bridget, This says well what I was trying to say about how we can't anticipate that certain worshipers would have the same or a certain temperament. I am so so so tired of the sign of peace that it is enough to make me want to try the Latin mass. Maybe it is time.

Oct 7th 2012 new

I think what your trying to say but in a sorta longish way is that Westerners focus on being rational.

Oct 7th 2012 new

First off, there needs to be some clarity what it means to be a traditional Catholic. Do you mean an Eastern Orthodox, another rite, Sedavacantist, SSPX, etc?

Elizabeth: What do you mean excommunicated by another fellow traditionalist? A friend, Bishop??? And if so, why wouldn't you just goto confession so you could continue receiving our Lord?

Oct 9th 2012 new

Remember the TLM has been in service for almost two thousand years. Missals, I have a version from '53 as well as "62, have the English beside the Latin. Easy to follow. The sense and depth of the Mass comes easily when one has the appropriate intention. You might also read The Ottaviani Intervention (Cardinal at the time of the release of the first Preface to Paul VI Mass), Quo Primum (by Pope St. Pius V), think/research a little bit about why the use of of the word "all" instead of "many" in the Consecration of the wine seems to be coming to an end, the story about Leo XIII's creation of the prayer to St. Michael (there is a longer one that serves as a exorcism prayer), as well as the warnings of Pope St. Pius X about the dangers to the church operating within it (see Pascendi), and the similar warnings of our Lady of La Salette, Fatima, Akita. The appropriate translation of the consecration of the wine even appeared in the movie "The Passion of the Christ". But of course the chruch Mel Gibson funded, and the priest that said Mass on the site of the movie, offer the TLM exclusively.

Oct 9th 2012 new

Do you not have any traditional Mass sites that you believe you can go to? Is that what you mean by doing mass at home--a "dry Mass"? I used to drive about 3.5 hours each way to attend my first TLM masses. $100 per trip and lots of hours.

Oct 9th 2012 new

(Quote) Richard-722900 said: But of course the chruch Mel Gibson funded, and the priest that said Mass on the site of the mo...
(Quote) Richard-722900 said:

But of course the chruch Mel Gibson funded, and the priest that said Mass on the site of the movie, offer the TLM exclusively.

--hide--

Mel Gibson isn't the best example to be using...

Actor Mel Gibson, a staunchly orthodox Roman Catholic who will play Christ in an upcoming movie, says the Vatican is a "wolf in sheep's clothing" and that he doesn't believe in the present-day Church as an institution.

www.freerepublic.com

Oct 9th 2012 new

He would be a problem, I realize, because I believe both he and his father are/were sedevacantists, and of course he never seems to escape certain other difficulties. Nevertheless there is still the presentation of the traditional understanding of the appropriate words of consecration of the wine. He had to challenge and was challenged by many in producing the clearest picture of the synthesis of the passion and sacrifice of Calvary and the Mass that has ever appeared in popular film, in my opinion.

Oct 9th 2012 new

(Quote) Richard-722900 said: Nevertheless there is still the presentation of the traditional understanding of the appropriat...
(Quote) Richard-722900 said:

Nevertheless there is still the presentation of the traditional understanding of the appropriate words of consecration of the wine.

--hide--

Little good it does to use the right words when you aren't in union with the Church the Mass belongs to.

Posts 91 - 100 of 110