Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is dedicated to those who are facing the challenge of raising children without the support of a spouse. This is a place to share ideas and lend mutual support.

Saint Rita is known to be a patroness for abused wives and mourning women.
Learn More: Saint Rita

Wresting / Raw

Sep 7th 2012 new

My 10 year old loves watching wrestling.. I did not allow him to watch it before as I thought it was too violent . But my brother said its okay.. It's normal for boys..

What do you think?

Sep 7th 2012 new

ooops, wrong spelling

WRESTLING

:)

Sep 7th 2012 new

ooops, wrong spelling

WRESTLING

Sep 7th 2012 new

(Quote) Kat-881112 said: ooops, wrong spelling WRESTLING :)
(Quote) Kat-881112 said:

ooops, wrong spelling

WRESTLING

--hide--

I think boys just like that sort of thing. This reminded me of a story my sister told me about her friend. They didn't approve of any type of guns, and they wouldn't allow their young son to have squirt guns, nerf guns or any of the toy guns he begged for. So, one morning he bit his toast into the shape of a pistol and shot everyone at the table! LOL

It's your responsibility to instill values in your child. Sometimes I think we are so afraid of them going down the wrong path that we try to protect them from everything. My son loves football. He's a tackle and enjoys it greatly. His accounts of his games often make me cringe. I try to instill that he is a gentleman first and an athlete second. Off the field, he is kind and considerate.

I'd allow him to watch and still talk to him about the rules of the sport. He might enjoy the movie Nacho Libre.

Sep 7th 2012 new

(Quote) Kat-881112 said: My 10 year old loves watching wrestling.. I did not allow him to watch it before as I thought it wa...
(Quote) Kat-881112 said:

My 10 year old loves watching wrestling.. I did not allow him to watch it before as I thought it was too violent . But my brother said its okay.. It's normal for boys..

What do you think?

--hide--
I'm not sure what form of wrestling to which you refer. My assumption is that you're referring to TV wrestling.

Many moons ago, I enjoyed watching wrestling on TV. We had some local matches that were televised. Back then, the theme was good versus evil (one wrestler was usually the good guy--the other the bad guy).

Fast forward to today's wrestling, as seen on TV. It's trash. The language is coarse and crude; there are women who are part of the "show" scantily clad, dressing very provocatively. Guess the good old days weren't exciting enough. What disturbs me is that there are youngsters seen in the audience observing all of this. I ask myself, what kind of parent (fathers mainly) would bring their near-teen and young teenage kids (boys mainly) to watch this.

This trashiness had evolved to the point where I no longer enjoyed watching this stuff. In the old days, the excitement was generated by someone nearly winning, then being able to escape a hold just in time. This went back and forth until there was a proclaimed "winner".

If this is the type of wrestling you're referring to, then my comments stand. The violence would seem to be the least of your worries.

Sep 7th 2012 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: I'm not sure what form of wrestling to which you refer. My assumption is that you're referr...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

I'm not sure what form of wrestling to which you refer. My assumption is that you're referring to TV wrestling.

Many moons ago, I enjoyed watching wrestling on TV. We had some local matches that were televised. Back then, the theme was good versus evil (one wrestler was usually the good guy--the other the bad guy).

Fast forward to today's wrestling, as seen on TV. It's trash. The language is coarse and crude; there are women who are part of the "show" scantily clad, dressing very provocatively. Guess the good old days weren't exciting enough. What disturbs me is that there are youngsters seen in the audience observing all of this. I ask myself, what kind of parent (fathers mainly) would bring their near-teen and young teenage kids (boys mainly) to watch this.

This trashiness had evolved to the point where I no longer enjoyed watching this stuff. In the old days, the excitement was generated by someone nearly winning, then being able to escape a hold just in time. This went back and forth until there was a proclaimed "winner".

If this is the type of wrestling you're referring to, then my comments stand. The violence would seem to be the least of your worries.

--hide--

Ray, this is exactly what I am talking about. Thank you!!

In the past, Gab and his father were watching it together, but I always felt disturbed about it.. When his father left us, I banned him from watching it.. but allowed him again to watch it upon talking to my brother..

I will ask the Holy Spirit to bless me with His Wisdom as i speak to Gab tonight ..

Bless you!

Sep 7th 2012 new

(Quote) Kat-881112 said: Ray, this is exactly what I am talking about. Thank you!! In the past, Gab and his ...
(Quote) Kat-881112 said:

Ray, this is exactly what I am talking about. Thank you!!

In the past, Gab and his father were watching it together, but I always felt disturbed about it.. When his father left us, I banned him from watching it.. but allowed him again to watch it upon talking to my brother..

I will ask the Holy Spirit to bless me with His Wisdom as i speak to Gab tonight ..

Bless you!

--hide--
My own view is that it's not suitable viewing for a 10 year old, even with a lot of explaining by an adult. Kids pick up enough from other kids whose parents don't keep a lid on what they do. It's impossible to shelter youngsters from bad things that happen in life, but keeping a watchful eye and setting reasonable limits is part of being a good parent.

Sep 7th 2012 new

(Quote) Kat-881112 said: My 10 year old loves watching wrestling.. I did not allow him to watch it before as I thought it wa...
(Quote) Kat-881112 said:

What do you think?

--hide--
I agree with Ray, wrestling today is only Billy-Bob couch-potato entertainment and not child friendly. Suggest you introduce your son to the Cub Scouts, although he's almost old enough for the Boy Scouts.

Sep 7th 2012 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: I agree with Ray, wrestling today is only Billy-Bob couch-potato entertainment and not child frie...
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

I agree with Ray, wrestling today is only Billy-Bob couch-potato entertainment and not child friendly. Suggest you introduce your son to the Cub Scouts, although he's almost old enough for the Boy Scouts.

--hide--

My mistake, Kat. I was thinking it was college wrestling or something like that as that is what my son watches. No, I wouldn't allow All Star Acting if it is what Ray is referring to. I haven't seen it since the Verne Gagne era and it sounds like it's changed some. Maybe you could take him to a high school wrestling meet. My brother did that when he was young and I remember it being fun to watch.

Sep 7th 2012 new

(Quote) Kathy-635104 said: My mistake, Kat. I was thinking it was college wrestling or something like that as that i...
(Quote) Kathy-635104 said:

My mistake, Kat. I was thinking it was college wrestling or something like that as that is what my son watches. No, I wouldn't allow All Star Acting if it is what Ray is referring to. I haven't seen it since the Verne Gagne era and it sounds like it's changed some. Maybe you could take him to a high school wrestling meet. My brother did that when he was young and I remember it being fun to watch.

--hide--
Very nostalgic, Kathy. Yes -- the days of Verne Gagne, Eduardo Carpentier and a host of others. The interest was in their capabilities and different moves, and at that time it was considered wholesome entertainment. Yes -- there were still the good guys and the villains. Sadly -- no more. Now TV wrestling reeks of sexuality, foul language (even by the announcers). It's just not fun to watch anymore. It seems to be a race as to who can be more outrageous. There isn't anything in sportsmanship to be learned.

As Peter said, the youngsters would be better off in the Scouts.

Posts 1 - 10 of 28