Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is dedicated to those who are facing the challenge of raising children without the support of a spouse. This is a place to share ideas and lend mutual support.

Saint Rita is known to be a patroness for abused wives and mourning women.
Learn More: Saint Rita

Sep 7th 2012 new

It is normal play for boys.

Sep 7th 2012 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: My own view is that it's not suitable viewing for a 10 year old, even with a lot of explaining ...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

My own view is that it's not suitable viewing for a 10 year old, even with a lot of explaining by an adult. Kids pick up enough from other kids whose parents don't keep a lid on what they do. It's impossible to shelter youngsters from bad things that happen in life, but keeping a watchful eye and setting reasonable limits is part of being a good parent.

--hide--

Good point. Watching it- may be very different than regular horseplay they normally do.

Sep 7th 2012 new

(Quote) Kat-881112 said: My 10 year old loves watching wrestling.. I did not allow him to watch it before as I thought it wa...
(Quote) Kat-881112 said:

My 10 year old loves watching wrestling.. I did not allow him to watch it before as I thought it was too violent . But my brother said its okay.. It's normal for boys..

What do you think?

--hide--

don't emasculate your son. boys like rough sports and violent video games. it's also a way of connecting with older males (even if not in real life) which is important for a boy whose father isn't in his life every day.

let him watch it.

Sep 7th 2012 new

(Quote) Kat-881112 said: My 10 year old loves watching wrestling.. I did not allow him to watch it before as I thought it wa...
(Quote) Kat-881112 said:

My 10 year old loves watching wrestling.. I did not allow him to watch it before as I thought it was too violent . But my brother said its okay.. It's normal for boys..

What do you think?

--hide--

Wrestling? Yes. Rassling (the stuff you usually see on TV)? Not only is it violent, but it's staged for entertainment purposes. There is nothing beneficial to be gained from watching it and there is potentil for harm: from exposure to the violence as well as the potential for serious injury should he attempt to emulate the moves while playing with friends. It happens. Much more than we hear about.

Sep 7th 2012 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: don't emasculate your son. boys like rough sports and violent video games. it's also ...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

don't emasculate your son. boys like rough sports and violent video games. it's also a way of connecting with older males (even if not in real life) which is important for a boy whose father isn't in his life every day.

let him watch it.

--hide--

There are many things we like that aren't good for us. Sitting around watching TV does more to emasculate boys than not watching that nonsense ever will.

I'd advise her to have her son play sports, not watch them (or, in this case, a fake sport -- even worse) on TV.

Sep 7th 2012 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: It is normal play for boys.
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

It is normal play for boys.

--hide--

The type of wrestling she's talking about is NOT normal play -- it may be commonly accepted in today's society, but that doesn't make it normal nor advisable.

Pro wrestling is scripted violence tailored to soak up money from adults. Many kids have been very seriously injured trying to emulate what they see on those shows.

Yes, boys need an outlet for their energy. Playing real sports, either pick-up games with friends or in organized leagues, is much better for them than exposure to or participating in gratuitous violence.

Sep 7th 2012 new

(Quote) Kat-881112 said: ooops, wrong spelling WRESTLING :)
(Quote) Kat-881112 said:

ooops, wrong spelling

WRESTLING

:)

--hide--

Actually the correct spelling for what I think you're talking about is 'rassling'; 'wrestling' is the Olympic sport -- similar in many ways, yet very, very different.

Sep 7th 2012 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: Good point. Watching it- may be very different than regular horseplay they normally do.
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

Good point. Watching it- may be very different than regular horseplay they normally do.

--hide--

It is VERY different. Pro wrestling is very heavily scripted and rehearsed to prevent injury. The way the moves are "pulled" is not obvious to the viewer watching on TV. When boys try to imitate the moves while horsing around with their friends serious injury can result

Sep 7th 2012 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: I'm not sure what form of wrestling to which you refer. My assumption is that you're referr...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

I'm not sure what form of wrestling to which you refer. My assumption is that you're referring to TV wrestling.

Many moons ago, I enjoyed watching wrestling on TV. We had some local matches that were televised. Back then, the theme was good versus evil (one wrestler was usually the good guy--the other the bad guy).

Fast forward to today's wrestling, as seen on TV. It's trash. The language is coarse and crude; there are women who are part of the "show" scantily clad, dressing very provocatively. Guess the good old days weren't exciting enough. What disturbs me is that there are youngsters seen in the audience observing all of this. I ask myself, what kind of parent (fathers mainly) would bring their near-teen and young teenage kids (boys mainly) to watch this.

This trashiness had evolved to the point where I no longer enjoyed watching this stuff. In the old days, the excitement was generated by someone nearly winning, then being able to escape a hold just in time. This went back and forth until there was a proclaimed "winner".

If this is the type of wrestling you're referring to, then my comments stand. The violence would seem to be the least of your worries.

--hide--

Good point, Ray. I haven't actually watched it in 20+ years and had forgotten about the sexualization, which was just starting back then.

Sep 7th 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Good point, Ray. I haven't actually watched it in 20+ years and had forgotten about t...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

Good point, Ray. I haven't actually watched it in 20+ years and had forgotten about the sexualization, which was just starting back then.

--hide--
It's the trashy atmosphere of modern-day TV wrestling that disturbs me more than the violence of which you speak.

By the way, even though the TV "sport" is heavily scripted, things go awry occasionally. A few years ago, a "professional" wrestler actually died while performing one of his stunts.

Yup -- "don't try this at home....".

Posts 11 - 20 of 28