Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is dedicated to those who are facing the challenge of raising children without the support of a spouse. This is a place to share ideas and lend mutual support.

Saint Rita is known to be a patroness for abused wives and mourning women.
Learn More: Saint Rita

Sep 7th 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: It is normal play for boys. ...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

It is normal play for boys.

The type of wrestling she's talking about is NOT normal play -- it may be commonly accepted in today's society, but that doesn't make it normal nor advisable.

Pro wrestling is scripted violence tailored to soak up money from adults. Many kids have been very seriously injured trying to emulate what they see on those shows.

Yes, boys need an outlet for their energy. Playing real sports, either pick-up games with friends or in organized leagues, is much better for them than exposure to or participating in gratuitous violence.

--hide--

OK thanks. I never watch that stuff. Remember when there was nothing on TV when we were small except for wrestling? I hated it then and would never watch it now- but I have heard it is scripted violence.

Sep 7th 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: (Quote) Kat-881112 said: ooops, wrong spelling WRESTLING :)

Quote:
Kat-881112 said:

ooops, wrong spelling

WRESTLING

:)

Actually the correct spelling for what I think you're talking about is 'rassling'; 'wrestling' is the Olympic sport -- similar in many ways, yet very, very different.

--hide--

OK I don't even know what we are talking about here. Is there some new thing out there? I know there is an extreme form of martial arts fighting, now..

Sep 7th 2012 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: OK I don't even know what we are talking about here. Is there some new thing out ther...
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

OK I don't even know what we are talking about here. Is there some new thing out there? I know there is an extreme form of martial arts fighting, now..

--hide--

The martial arts fighting is MMA and its more "real" than the professional wrestling. MMA isn't as trashy but it IS extremely violent. They sometimes beat each other bloody.

Sep 7th 2012 new

(Quote) Angela-893980 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: OK I don't even know what we are t...
(Quote) Angela-893980 said:

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

The martial arts fighting is MMA and its more "real" than the professional wrestling. MMA isn't as trashy but it IS extremely violent. They sometimes beat each other bloody.

--hide--

Yes and if we meet a guy that we want to date who is into that--I have been warned to be wary of this type of guy.

Sep 7th 2012 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: OK I don't even know what we are talking about here. Is there some new thing out ther...

--hide--

Real wrestling (the sport) is what you see during the summer Olympics. Other than that, it is not generally televised. Perhaps others can comment whether the sports cable channels such as ESPN carry it.

The so-called "professional wrestling" that most people are familiar with (WWF (World Wrestling Federation), WCW (World Championship Wrestling)) is what I referred to as "rassling" to make a clear distinction.

The two easiest ways to quickly distinguish the two:

Wrestling is conducted on an open mat on the floor. The only action is the wrestling itself. There is no punching, kicking, jumping on the opponent, kneeing, elbowing, etc. All in all, most people find it pretty dull.

Rassling is usually conducted in a roped ring, much like a boxing match. There is a great deal of hype, showmanship and bravado before, during, and after the match. As Ray mentioned, there are often a number of scantily-clad women parading around and frequent use of all the techniques I noted as not being present in wrestling.

Does this help?

Sep 8th 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Real wrestling (the sport) is what you see during the summer Olympics. Other than that, i...

Real wrestling (the sport) is what you see during the summer Olympics. Other than that, it is not generally televised. Perhaps others can comment whether the sports cable channels such as ESPN carry it.

The so-called "professional wrestling" that most people are familiar with (WWF (World Wrestling Federation), WCW (World Championship Wrestling)) is what I referred to as "rassling" to make a clear distinction.

The two easiest ways to quickly distinguish the two:

Wrestling is conducted on an open mat on the floor. The only action is the wrestling itself. There is no punching, kicking, jumping on the opponent, kneeing, elbowing, etc. All in all, most people find it pretty dull.

Rassling is usually conducted in a roped ring, much like a boxing match. There is a great deal of hype, showmanship and bravado before, during, and after the match. As Ray mentioned, there are often a number of scantily-clad women parading around and frequent use of all the techniques I noted as not being present in wrestling.

Does this help?

--hide--

Thank you for the information. I have seen pictures of wrestling when I look through the high school year book. That is probably the same as the Olympic type. Rassling is that staged type.. then..

Sep 8th 2012 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said:Thank you for the information. I have seen pictures of wrestling when I look through the high sch...

Thank you for the information. I have seen pictures of wrestling when I look through the high school year book. That is probably the same as the Olympic type. Rassling is that staged type.. then..

--hide--

Yes, the HS wrestling is essentially the same as the Olympic style. This, BTW, is a great sport as long as the athletes don't use unhealthy means to make weight classes.

Sep 8th 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Yes, the HS wrestling is essentially the same as the Olympic style. This, BTW, is a great...

Yes, the HS wrestling is essentially the same as the Olympic style. This, BTW, is a great sport as long as the athletes don't use unhealthy means to make weight classes.

--hide--

Yes This"real" type is probably interesting if people can explain it to someone like me.

Posts 21 - 28 of 28