Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

11/13/2012 new

(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said: I can address a few of these thoughts actually. I made a conscious choice about 2.5 years ago...
(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said:

I can address a few of these thoughts actually. I made a conscious choice about 2.5 years ago on who I wanted in my life. I have no choice in work or at school. The people that were part of my life in the very small amount of free time that I have is my choice. I chose initially only those that were very healthy, mentally and emotionally, or trying to be very healthy. That was a great start, but I was told repeatedly that I needed more in my life than work, school and church. About nine months later, I added what probably should have come first, ALL people in my life must love God first and be serious about serving him. I no longer have ANY issues with people telling me I ought to be doing x, y or z. We're all doing the same thing! I do not tell others that their beliefs are wrong, I just do not invite them into my inner circle.

Along these same lines, last fall when I was serving on team for a retreat, I had a similar conversation. During dinner, someone stopped and looked at me and said, "You sure have a lot of rules to live by." I was surprised at first, and slightly puzzled. I asked her to clarify and she mentioned several things. My final response was, "I do not see it that way. I have God's law and the explanation of that law as set forth my canon law. It all seems very simple to me." It is really. The rules are not really difficult. They are hard to follow without stumbling, but we manage. Even in the face of adversity, if we look to the rules of our church and the example that Christ set forth, how we handle ourselves in any situation is pretty simple.

God bless you and God speed on your path.

--hide--

This is a wonderful post! Thanks Anne Marie!

11/13/2012 new

Some of us have had to live through losing epoeple we thought were going to be our lifelong friends because those friends went into a differnt moral direction. If we stay on God's path, sometimes we no longer get to walk with our friends. We can pray for them, however, to see what God asks of us and why. Having an open mind is one thing. Choosing our own life path is another and it is ours tochoose, not someone else's to choose for us. When it comes to life choices, we really do not owe anyone anything especially interms of follwoing them down the wrong path. We owe it to ourselves to be true to ourselves and do what God asks.

11/13/2012 new

(Quote) Jim-388330 said: Brothers and sisters I just wanted to share these thoughts with you, largely taken from Father this...
(Quote) Jim-388330 said:

Brothers and sisters I just wanted to share these thoughts with you, largely taken from Father this afternoon at Mass. So often you and I tend to meet people in the secular world who often tell us we should be more open minded and that actually holding to our own beliefs somehow makes us inferior to them (close-minded). Holding to a set of values naturally means we have to reject others. The truth is that regardless of the state in life we're in, we all practice selective hearing. If we didn't we would go insane and we wouldn't be able to function.

In fact when we hear people ask us to be open minded, what it actually does is close our minds to objective truth. "Keep an open mind" is used as a battle cry for moral relativists, because in the end, what they wish you to do is to recognize any position to have equal value. But the moment you ask if his position of equivilency should be considered true, they cannot answer. To do so would no longer make him a moral relativist.

So the moment anybody asks you to be more open minded about (for example) not attending mass every Sunday, you may want to ask them to be more open minded to what the Church actually teaches, like you know, going to Mass every Sunday to give respect and honor to our Lord, and receive him in the most blessed sacrament, and besides, it helps fulfill the third commandment.

Any similar situations?

God bless,

Jim

--hide--

You sound like someone who would benefit from studying philosophy and natural law. Once you do, you will wonder why they refuse to be sensible.

11/13/2012 new

Thanks Marian!! heart

11/13/2012 new

(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said: Thanks Marian!!

Thanks Marian!!

--hide--

YOU ARE WELCOME! You post shows also the way people try to use peer pressure all through adult life. It is nto their business to do that. You are being given Gods grace to stand firm. May God continue to Bless and anoint you!

11/13/2012 new

(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said: Thanks Marian!!

Thanks Marian!!

--hide--

Most people want us to follow the thinking of the crowd. They would rather go with the crowd too.
We have to pray daily to get through those challenges, since we have agreed to follow Jesus and His ways. His Wisdom was here before the foundation of the world and we can rest on that. He is the supreme principle of wisdom.

I am going to post this prayer by Aquinas:

St Thomas Aquinas' Prayer For work

...Ineffable creator, Who out of the treasuries of Your Wisdom has appointed three hierarchies of angels and set them in admirable array, high above the heavens, disposing also the various parts of the universe in such marvelous array:

You are the True Source of Light and the Supreme Principle of Wisdom. Be pleased, therefore to cast a beam of Your Radiance on the darkness of my mind, and dispel from me the double darkness of sin and ignorance in which I was born.

You who make eloquent the tongues of little children, fashion my words and pour upon my lips the grace of Your Benediction.
Grant me penetration to understand, capacity to retain, method and facility in study, subtlety in interpretation and abundant grace of expression.

Order the beginning, direct the progress and perfect the achievement of my work, you who are true God and true man, living and reigning forever and ever . Amen

11/13/2012 new
There is no such thing as moral relativism -- only moral egotism. The relativist will never let you question his/her morality because they view their permissiveness as absolute.
11/13/2012 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: There is no such thing as moral relativism -- only moral egotism. The relativist will never let you quest...
(Quote) John-220051 said: There is no such thing as moral relativism -- only moral egotism. The relativist will never let you question his/her morality because they view their permissiveness as absolute.
--hide--

Certainly True.

11/29/2012 new

(Quote) Jim-388330 said: "Keep an open mind" is used as a battle cry for moral relativists, because in the end, wh...
(Quote) Jim-388330 said:

"Keep an open mind" is used as a battle cry for moral relativists, because in the end, what they wish you to do is to recognize any position to have equal value.

So the moment anybody asks you to be more open minded about (for example) not attending mass every Sunday, you may want to ask them to be more open minded to what the Church actually teaches, like you know, going to Mass every Sunday to give respect and honor to our Lord, and receive him in the most blessed sacrament, and besides, it helps fulfill the third commandment.

--hide--

Many people commented that JPII would listen intently to everyone he encountered. Often he listened most closely to those who are sworn enemies of the faith - e.g. Gen. Wojtek Jaruzelski the Soviet-imposed Head of State in Poland during the martial law and crackdown on the Church in 1983, or Fidel Castro, or prominent catholic dissenters. The only person I ever saw him dismiss out of hand was baby Doc Duvalier who tried shovelling him a load of nonsense when the Holy Father visited Haiti.

The point is that he listened to understand the other person. he didn't have to agree, but he accorded them the dignity of truly understanding their position before he replied. This is how we are to be open-minded.

Christ listened intently to the Samaritan woman at the well. His Apostles were shocked that he was even talking with her. We are called NOT to win every argument but rather to imitate Christ in every encounter of every day.

More important than an open-mind is an open heart. The more we love, the more we see others as God sees them, the less likely we are to dispute and the more likely they are to come around to seeing things in a better like - not through our powers of persuasion, but by the love and dignity we accord them.

11/29/2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: One of the biggest problems is that people see the Church's rules as being restrictiv...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

One of the biggest problems is that people see the Church's rules as being restrictive -- an attempt to control our behavior -- something many in modern society bristle at, to say the least.

In reality, the rules are there to guide us to the end that God has destined for us, to to restrict us. God created man with a purpose -- and with a nature suited to serving that purpose. Unfortunately, Original Sin clouds both our perception and our intellect, making it much easier for us to stray from that which we were created for. Thus God, through His Church, provides the rules that help us to live our lives as God intends - like a guide rope we can follow in the dark. We can let go of the rope and wander away -- the Church doesn't force us to obey the rules -- but the longer we remain away from Her guidance the and further we stray, the harder it will be to get back. And if we aren't holding on to the rope when the final bell is rung, well...

--hide--

When we truly love God, following the rules becomes a delight rather than an onerous burden.

from Psalm 119:

Blessed are you, O Lord; teach me your laws.

With my lips I recite all the edicts you have spoken.

I find joy in the way of your decrees more than in all riches.

I will ponder your precepts and consider your paths.

In your laws I take delight; I will never forget your word.

Be kind to your servant that I may live, that I may keep your word.

Open my eyes to see clearly the wonders of your teachings.

I am a sojourner in the land; do not hide your commands from me.

At all times my soul is stirred with longing for your edicts.

With a curse you rebuke the proud who stray from your commands.

Free me from disgrace and contempt, for I observe your decrees.

Though princes meet and talk against me, your servant studies your laws.

Your decrees are my delight; they are my counselors.

I lie prostrate in the dust; give me life in accord with your word.

I disclosed my ways and you answered me; teach me your laws.

Make me understand the way of your precepts; I will ponder your wondrous deeds.

I weep in bitter pain; in accord with your word to strengthen me.

Lead me from the way of deceit; favor me with your teaching.

The way of loyalty I have chosen; I have set your edicts before me.

I cling to your decrees, Lord; do not let me come to shame.

I will run the way of your commands, for you open my docile heart.

Lord, teach me the way of your laws; I shall observe them with care.

Give me insight to observe your teaching, to keep it with all my heart.

Lead me in the path of your commands, for that is my delight.

Jesus says if we love Him, we will keep his commandments. The more we love, the easier and more joyful that becomes.

Posts 11 - 20 of 32