Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for supportive and informative discussion about divorce and/or the annulment process. All posters must have been previously divorced or annulled.

Saint Eugene De Mazenod is patron of dysfunctional families & Saint Fabiola obtained a divorce from her first husband prior to devoting her life to charitable works.
Learn More: Saint Eugene De Mazenod and Saint Fabiola

Oct 8th 2012 new

Greg,

Speak to your priest and he can talk you through it. There is a LONG testimony you are required to fill out that states all the details of the relationship before the marriage, the marriage preparations, and life after the marriage. You then have to have 3 witnesses will out paperwork to validate your claim. After that there is a tribunal hearing with 12 priests and an evaluation by a psychologist. It's NOT an easy process but if you wanna remarry it's what you have to do.

At least in my case that's what happened.

Oct 8th 2012 new

My priest said it was ok to date but NOT to even speak of marriage or plan marriage until the final divorce decree.

Oct 8th 2012 new

I don't think a lot of people realize HOW LONG it takes to get an annulment. If they did they may get on it faster. My priest estimated between 12-18 months!!!!

Oct 9th 2012 new

(Quote) Karin-903829 said: Were you married in a church (any kind of church, catholic or otherwise?) ? If not the...
(Quote) Karin-903829 said:

Were you married in a church (any kind of church, catholic or otherwise?) ?

If not then it's an automatic annulment according to my priest.

--hide--

If at least one spouse is Catholic the marriage must occur in a Catholic church unless there is a dispensation from the local bishop or his designee. The person you replied to mentioned an unspecified dispensation; if it was for canonical form, he may be required to go through the full annulment process.

Oct 18th 2012 new

good question wish i knew the answer

Oct 19th 2012 new

I filed my annullment the day after my divorce was final. For me, the civil divorce didn't mean anything, I wanted the annullment and it was granted a few months later! biggrin

Oct 19th 2012 new

(Quote) Laura-354132 said: I filed my annullment the day after my divorce was final. For me, the civil divorce didn't me...
(Quote) Laura-354132 said:

I filed my annullment the day after my divorce was final. For me, the civil divorce didn't mean anything, I wanted the annullment and it was granted a few months later!

--hide--

Good for you, Laura and welcome to the forums!

Oct 19th 2012 new

so i thought about the question and here is my question. do catholics really believe that marriage is a sacriment. and if so can it be so easily nulified and if it can what about the other sacriments. thats my answer

Oct 19th 2012 new

For me it's a fairness and financial decision. I didn't want to divorce but it wasn't up to me. I figured he could do it. Now I'm in a quandry. He's remarried outside of the church (and still takes communion on Sundays). It's $500 to complete the process, and frankly, I'd do it in a heartbeat if I ever met someone I'd want to marry.

Oct 19th 2012 new
(Quote) Jim-711092 said: so i thought about the question and here is my question. do catholics really believe that marriage is a sacrimen...
(Quote) Jim-711092 said:

so i thought about the question and here is my question. do catholics really believe that marriage is a sacriment. and if so can it be so easily nulified and if it can what about the other sacriments. thats my answer

--hide--

In fact, Jim, the official stand of the RCC is that no human power can dissolve the bond which God has joined. So the only "marriages" that the Church grants annulments for are those that had some major flaw upon which the marriage was based, and therefore invalidated the sacrament for its intrinsic lack of merit. Officially, the Church stands against sacramental divorce, but not sacremental annulment. It really does make sense, and it is not taken lightly by the Church which has established tribunals all over the world in these times to assist the faithful in obtaining salvation in spite of our human faults which we have manifested in disordered marriages.
Posts 121 - 130 of 135