Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for supportive and informative discussion about divorce and/or the annulment process. All posters must have been previously divorced or annulled.

Saint Eugene De Mazenod is patron of dysfunctional families & Saint Fabiola obtained a divorce from her first husband prior to devoting her life to charitable works.
Learn More: Saint Eugene De Mazenod and Saint Fabiola

Sep 16th 2012 new

(Quote) Kathleen-817752 said: I have not started the annualment process because I have to talk to my ex and his parents. The...
(Quote) Kathleen-817752 said:

I have not started the annualment process because I have to talk to my ex and his parents. They have to write letters and I am not ready for that yet. The reason for the divorce was due to his cheating and moving in with another women but he will not admit that this is the main reason. Getting the annualment is important to me and my faith but the process is holding me up.

--hide--

Kathleen, when I got my annullment (which was in the late 80's), not only did I not have to get anything from my ex, but the priest/canon lawyer at the archdiocese actually told me to send my ex a note just saying that I was going through the annullment process and to ignore any mail he got from the archdiocese (ie., not to bother responding to it). The priest said it would be easier for me to get the annullment if he didn't respond as there were enough grounds without his response (and he was Lutheran and was the one who broke up the marriage). I did have to get 2 witnesses (my maid of honor and a cousin) to write a statement, but that was it. And, to get an annullment you have to have a pre-existing reason as it were - meaning a reason that the marriage wasn't a valid Catholic marriage to begin with (such as one partner being an alcoholic, or getting married too young to know what a Catholic marriage is, or one partner not wanting to have children). To some degree it doesn't matter what happened later in the marriage, if it didn't exist before the marriage occurred. You might want to talk to someone in your diocese that deals with annulments (parish priests and deacons don't always give correct advice).

Sep 16th 2012 new

I actually spoke with my priest and he is the go to man for annualments in my area. He told me I had to get letters from him, his parents, and 6 witnesses who new both of us. I would love any other information if anyone is in the Diocese of Dallas.

Sep 16th 2012 new

(Quote) Kathleen-817752 said: I actually spoke with my priest and he is the go to man for annualments in my area. He told me...

I actually spoke with my priest and he is the go to man for annualments in my area. He told me I had to get letters from him, his parents, and 6 witnesses who new both of us. I would love any other information if anyone is in the Diocese of Dallas.

--hide--

Woweyepopping annullments must have really changed since I did mine. This sounds like a bit much to me, but I do know that every diocese is different. A gentleman I was dating in 2003 in Los Angeles area went through an annullment and all he had to get were 2 letters from witnesses and his wife did respond (but then again she left him so she wanted the divorce and was okay about the annullment). In Chicago, we actually have an office downtown for the archdiocese that deals with family issues, annulments, etc. and they have people who can help mentor you through the process. I just wonder if it wouldn't hurt to see if such an office exists for the Dallas area. I will keep you in my prayers for thisPraying

Sep 16th 2012 new

I would do exactly as Patricia said and contact the tribunal offices directly. I am in the middle of the process right now, and all of that is absolutely not required here in Charleston. It was not required in New York when I had looked into it there. Something does not sound right. In the meantime, you could post in the regional forum and see if anyone has gone through the process in Dallas. I wish you good things and you are in my prayers. Praying heart

Sep 16th 2012 new

(Quote) Kathleen-817752 said: I actually spoke with my priest and he is the go to man for annualments in my area. He told me...

--hide--

When I went to begin my annulment about 5 years ago, they had changed the process in my diocese. Instead of the priest/pastor handling it, they sent me straight over to the diocese. I worked with a nun who worked with annulments, so she was very knowledgeable and helpful.

The only thing I had to do re: my ex was give the diocese his full name and his address, so they could allow him to participate. He didn't, though he did tell them he didn't agree with the grounds they found for the annulment. I only had to get 3 witnesses. I did not have to contact my ex's family in any way.

You might want to contact the diocese. I've heard CMr's stating many different things their priest told them re: annulments.

Sep 16th 2012 new

In my diocese I had to give my ex's address and the addresses of his mother and the witnesses 3 for me and 3 for him. The diocese did all of the contacting. I know my witnesses responded I don't know about anyone else.

Sep 16th 2012 new

(Quote) Kathleen-817752 said: I have not started the annualment process because I have to talk to my ex and his parents. The...

I have not started the annualment process because I have to talk to my ex and his parents. They have to write letters and I am not ready for that yet. The reason for the divorce was due to his cheating and moving in with another women but he will not admit that this is the main reason. Getting the annualment is important to me and my faith but the process is holding me up.

--hide--

Start it WITHOUT him or his parents!

Sep 16th 2012 new

divorced in the early nineties and sought an annullment straight away. There are many reasons for annullments besides wanting to remarry. I felt out of favour with God having only a divorce which I sought my husband didnt want it. That my 2 cents worth

Sep 23rd 2012 new

i was protestant and joined the catholic church last year... i asked during rcia about what to do as i was divorced...my first husband had died and i remarried ... was married a short time got divorced with good reason ....the father said i would have to find out if his first wife was babtized...and she died several years ago...so i guess i will work on it again... and i didnt know it cost money to get it annuled...

Sep 23rd 2012 new

(Quote) Claire-247015 said: divorced in the early nineties and sought an annullment straight away. There are many reasons fo...
(Quote) Claire-247015 said:

divorced in the early nineties and sought an annullment straight away. There are many reasons for annullments besides wanting to remarry. I felt out of favour with God having only a divorce which I sought my husband didnt want it. That my 2 cents worth

--hide--
Same for me Claire. I wanted to know if I indeed was free - period. Free of my previous marriage so that down the road I would be free to pursue the single life without attachments, free to pursue a religious vocation, or free to pursue marriage. I wanted to be ready for God's will, whatever it would be.

Kathleen

Posts 91 - 100 of 135