Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

09/15/2012 new

(Quote) Charles-512043 said: I hate to always have to be the bearer of bad news here, but yesterday the House Republicans passed an...
(Quote) Charles-512043 said: I hate to always have to be the bearer of bad news here, but yesterday the House Republicans passed another massive spending bill to cover the next 6 months. The bill includes funding for Planned Parenthood. Ron Paul, of course, kept to his morals and principles and voted against it. On the other hand, it was voted FOR by...you guessed it...that alleged fiscal hawk and "100% pro-lifer", Paul Ryan.

cnsnews.com

clerk.house.gov
--hide--

All the more reason to get Romney/Ryan in to fix this mess. I can't even imagine what would happen under Ron Paul. He lives in fantasy land. His foreign policy beliefs are truly frightening considering the mess going on in this world. He also has a blurry line with being pro choice and pro life.

Is the reason he voted against the sex selection abortion ban was to keep his morals and principles? He also has no problem with contraception and Plan B the morning after contraception and I am sure he doesn't mind doing a little snipping for sterilization.
www.lifesitenews.com

Point is he isn't Mr. Perfect either. They all have their flaws, it is up to this country to stand together and change things one step at a time.
First step? Get Obama out before we become a Muslim nation!

09/15/2012 new

(Quote) Ed-890453 said: I have been reading your posts with interest. First of all which candidate is not solely interested ...
(Quote) Ed-890453 said:

I have been reading your posts with interest. First of all which candidate is not solely interested in securing your vote? Over the past 50+ years we have been lied to, slapped in the face, disappointed, seen some of our liberties taken away and more by both parties. Currently we are concerned about our religious freedom. If that goes free speech will be next. The abortion issue is of major concern, especially to us Catholics. according to our Catholic principals we should also be concerned about our brothers and sisters who are vulnerable and/or destitute. Abortion is not our only problem. If it were voting would be a slam dunk. There is a wee little thing called the economy which is in extremely sad shape. Also how about radical Islam wanting to destroy us, immigration, environmental issues, the sad condition of most of our infrastructure and a host of lesser important issues? As I see the abortion issue, it will not go away until Roe v Wade is overturned. IMHO flip-flopping on that issue is at least better than a total and absolute support favoring it.

After looking at all the issues, there is one other thing to consider. We vote for No.1, but what if he becomes incapable of performing his duties? Of course No.2 will take the helm. Who would you want to see in that position, Paul Ryan or Joe Biden??? To me the choice is obvious. When I have to choose between two evils I will choose the lesser of the two according to my own conscience.

As Catholics and good citizens we all must vote. Otherwise we have no right to complain if things go downhill.

--hide--

clap clap clap Wolf Whistle Bow

Well said, Ed. Well said! thumbsup

09/15/2012 new

(Quote) Wendy-387654 said:Well said, Ed. Well said!
(Quote) Wendy-387654 said:
Well said, Ed. Well said!
--hide--

I agree whole heartedly with Wendy, VERY WELL SAID, ED!

09/15/2012 new

White house announces that 2 billion a year aid to Egypts Muslim Brotherhood will continue even now!

www.washingtontimes.com

09/15/2012 new

(Quote) ED-20630 said: You wrote.... "Surely, it's per...
(Quote) ED-20630 said:

You wrote.... "Surely, it's perhaps possible to make the case that Romney could marginally be the lesser of two evils...."

For one to actually believe such a thing is to have one's head buried very, very deeply in the sand. Such a person should clean the figurative dirt and cobwebs out of their head so that they can think and see more clearly! You must be kidding.

For one to decide not to vote because they don't get to vote for their more perfect and idealized candidate, is to act as a child.... stomping his feet and holding his breath until he gets his way. Such a person needs to grow up and live in the world that has been provided for him (by God), rather than his own Utopian world (which will never, ever exist on Earth). I expect that a person whom holds firmly to such Utopian voting ideals may live to a ripe old age having never voted for president. That is not participation. That is just a cop-out... withdrawing from participation in society because it falls short of what is perfect.

If Jesus had chosen to only associate with the perfect and sinless in our world, or not participate at all, then what would have been the point in His coming at all?

Just my thoughts.

Ed

--hide--
Exactly....you and a few others are saying the same thing...no candidate is perfect nor will be....we have to go with the one that we can get who is as close as possible to what we aspire too and then work on that candidate to keep getting closer via calls and emails, etc.

09/15/2012 new

(Quote) Laura-56149 said: All the more reason to get Romney/Ryan in to fix this mess. I can't even imagine w...
(Quote) Laura-56149 said:

All the more reason to get Romney/Ryan in to fix this mess. I can't even imagine what would happen under Ron Paul. He lives in fantasy land. His foreign policy beliefs are truly frightening considering the mess going on in this world. He also has a blurry line with being pro choice and pro life.

Is the reason he voted against the sex selection abortion ban was to keep his morals and principles? He also has no problem with contraception and Plan B the morning after contraception and I am sure he doesn't mind doing a little snipping for sterilization.
www.lifesitenews.com

Point is he isn't Mr. Perfect either. They all have their flaws, it is up to this country to stand together and change things one step at a time.
First step? Get Obama out before we become a Muslim nation!

--hide--
Exacctly Laura, you and Ed are both making a good point...we can't act like children in a daydream, we have to accept that none of them are perfect, but some are definitely worse than others and we have to go with the one that is most like what we aspire to and then try to get them even closer by writing and calling, etc.

09/15/2012 new

(Quote) Charles-512043 said: (Quote) Mary-486033 said: Uh, no. I think you delight in trying to find bad news. ...
(Quote) Charles-512043 said:
Quote:
Mary-486033 said: Uh, no. I think you delight in trying to find bad news.

In this complex spiritual warfare on liberties and morals, I'll bet they had to do this to keep the government afloat during the election process and swearing in of the next President. Romney will "Repeals Obamacare on Day 1". Oh, yeah, Romney and Ryan will repeal Obamacare...and the HHS mandate.

I only delight in it in the sense that I feel more and more comfortable with my decision to not vote every time one of these stories comes up again. I don't take pleasure in the fact that I find the Romney ticket to be reprehensible. I despise the Obama presidency. I really do. Anyone who's spent more than a few months on these forums knows that I do. I really do wish that the Romney ticket stood for the things we value and that he had the reputation to stick to those values. Unfortunately, he doesn't and he won't. Sure, it's perhaps possible to make the case that Romney could marginally be the lesser of two evils, but what good is that? If we don't at some point stop settling for the lesser of two evils, the system will never give us anything but a choice between evils. I'm not supporting Obama by not voting for Romney...I'm rejecting the whole rotten Obama/Romney dichotomy outright.

Also, some keep implying that by not supporting Romney that we're simply withdrawing ourselves from the situation rather than being part of the solution. This isn't true. For example, there was one lone candidate in the Republican primary who held positions very satisfying to Catholic teaching (no, not Santorum). I supported that candidate, I donated to that candidate, I was a delegate for that candidate, and I even convinced other people to support that candidate. Although he lost, I like to think that I was at least part of that solution. I will continue to support the ideals of the Church going forward, as well as any candidates in the future who do as well. I do not believe that I further that ideal by settling for Mitt "it's-not-a-life-if-it's-a-product-of-rape-or-incest" Romney.
--hide--

You are wrong as usual....NOW you are part of the problem not the solution and Paul was NOT perfect either regarding Church teaching as the above posters have pointed out. At least with Romney/Ryan we will still be aloud to have a church with principals and beliefs and freedom of religion and speech...under Obama, we won't. You need to vote for Romney/Ryan and then do what I did and call their office and write them and hold them accountable to the republican platform.

09/15/2012 new

(Quote) Steven-706921 said: Either candidate is a sock puppet for the Oligarchs that run this country. They are bou...
(Quote) Steven-706921 said:

Either candidate is a sock puppet for the Oligarchs that run this country. They are bought men, pure and simple.

--hide--

thank goodness someone else noticed this

09/15/2012 new

(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said: You are wrong as usual....NOW you are part of the problem not the solution and Paul ...
(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said:

You are wrong as usual....NOW you are part of the problem not the solution and Paul was NOT perfect either regarding Church teaching as the above posters have pointed out. At least with Romney/Ryan we will still be aloud to have a church with principals and beliefs and freedom of religion and speech...under Obama, we won't. You need to vote for Romney/Ryan and then do what I did and call their office and write them and hold them accountable to the republican platform.

--hide--

There's just one thing wrong with your statement, and that is that Obamacare is based on Romneycare by Obama's own admission. Romney's program never allowed a religious exemption either, and supports not only contraception but direct surgical abortion according to their own listing.

Romney has already sent the smoke signals saying that he'll keep most of the Obamacare act, and why not? It's his law to begin with.

If he doesn't really care about Obamacare, he might not care so much about religious freedome when he's in office. Obama doesn't either, so this is something that is going to have to be taken to the streets and to the legislatures, both on the national and state level, working to wake up even the Puppet People at both levels.

09/15/2012 new

(Quote) Tom-169708 said: "Providence has given to our people the choice of their rulers, and it is the dut...
(Quote) Tom-169708 said:

"Providence has given to our people the choice of their rulers, and it is the
duty, as well as the privilege and interest of our Christian nation, to select
and prefer Christians for their rulers." - John Jay, First Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court

You have an opportunity to oppose an un-Christian platform with a vote. It's a duty.

--hide--

There are men running for office and in office who are not Christians. Why should we be dutied into voting for fakes? We should be protesting this and more.

Posts 41 - 50 of 116