Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion on entertainment, movies, television, jokes or light-hearted topics. Please keep discussion clean and appropriate for a Catholic site.

Saint Vitus is the patron saint of actors, comedians, dancers, and of entertainers in general.
Learn More:Saint Vitus

Sep 23rd 2012 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-114955 said: I must confess I am a Soup Junkie. I am addicted to soups, stews, chowders and chile. When ev...
(Quote) Elizabeth-114955 said:

I must confess I am a Soup Junkie. I am addicted to soups, stews, chowders and chile. When ever I make the stuff I make certain to make a big pot so I can have leftovers for breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert. While others crave meat and potatoes, I yearn for soup. Soup is my soul food. Paula Deens favorite kitchen utensil may be the deep fat fryer, mine is the soup pot. While I adore the aroma of all the different soups that can be made my favorite soup is chicken noodle, homemade of course. What is your favorite soup, stew, chowder, or chili.

--hide--

ditto all the way through.

too many favorite soups to list. i make a pot for my parents most weekends because they're in their late 80's and not inclined to cook for themselves any more.

tonight i made potato and corn chowder. this week i'l make a musroom barley soup with prosciutto. last week i made chicken noodle. also make yellow split pea soup and french onion soup quite often. was thinking of making oxtail soup tomorrow - either that or i'll braise them. they wer eon sale today.

heart Chef heart

Sep 23rd 2012 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: ditto all the way through. too many favorite soups to list. i make a pot ...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

ditto all the way through.

too many favorite soups to list. i make a pot for my parents most weekends because they're in their late 80's and not inclined to cook for themselves any more.

tonight i made potato and corn chowder. this week i'l make a musroom barley soup with prosciutto. last week i made chicken noodle. also make yellow split pea soup and french onion soup quite often. was thinking of making oxtail soup tomorrow - either that or i'll braise them. they wer eon sale today.

--hide--
How do you make your french onion soup?

Sep 23rd 2012 new

(Quote) Connie-17641 said: How do you make your french onion soup?
(Quote) Connie-17641 said:

How do you make your french onion soup?

--hide--

slice one or two large swet onions (vidalia, walla walla, etc.) VERY thin. i usually cut them in half before slicing thin so they're semi-cirecles instead of whole circles.

heat oil and butter in a deep pan then add sliced onions. sprinkle salt, black pepper, dried thyme and a teaspoon of sugar. stir well.

under medium to medium low heat, slowly brown the onions. they will greatly reduce involume. continue until they are carmelized. (about 30 minutes - you'll need to stand ove rthem most of the time especially towards the end.)

sprinkle a tablespoon of flour over the oinions and stir to blend well. then add a half cup of dry white wine to deglaze the pain. let the wine reduce by about half then add several cups (depending on batch size and desired consistency) of HOT beef broth. bring to a simmer then remove from heat.

while the onions are carmelizing, brush french bread slices with oilive oil then put in a 400 degree oven (or in an iron skillet on the stove top) until well toasted.

put a couple bread slices (they're croutons now) in each bowl then ladle in the soup. cover with swiss or guyere cheese. (you can melt them under a broiler but I never bother).

you're ready to eat.

This recipe will feed 4 people for less than $2.

Oct 3rd 2012 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: slice one or two large swet onions (vidalia, walla walla, etc.) VERY thin. i usually...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

slice one or two large swet onions (vidalia, walla walla, etc.) VERY thin. i usually cut them in half before slicing thin so they're semi-cirecles instead of whole circles.

heat oil and butter in a deep pan then add sliced onions. sprinkle salt, black pepper, dried thyme and a teaspoon of sugar. stir well.

under medium to medium low heat, slowly brown the onions. they will greatly reduce involume. continue until they are carmelized. (about 30 minutes - you'll need to stand ove rthem most of the time especially towards the end.)

sprinkle a tablespoon of flour over the oinions and stir to blend well. then add a half cup of dry white wine to deglaze the pain. let the wine reduce by about half then add several cups (depending on batch size and desired consistency) of HOT beef broth. bring to a simmer then remove from heat.

while the onions are carmelizing, brush french bread slices with oilive oil then put in a 400 degree oven (or in an iron skillet on the stove top) until well toasted.

put a couple bread slices (they're croutons now) in each bowl then ladle in the soup. cover with swiss or guyere cheese. (you can melt them under a broiler but I never bother).

you're ready to eat.

This recipe will feed 4 people for less than $2.

--hide--

Love that stuff with a good spinach salad on the side. Thank you David.

Posts 41 - 44 of 44