Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Sep 27th 2012 new

(Quote) John-727073 said: Thanks for sharing this, Laura. I have felt for a long time that the mainstream media isn&...
(Quote) John-727073 said:

Thanks for sharing this, Laura. I have felt for a long time that the mainstream media isn't doing its job in this election, which should be to have comparisons like this made public. Thanks for the link. I read it all.

--hide--

Be sure to continue to share whatever you can! If you are on facebook "like" CatholicVote and Father Peter West and share share share:) If you're not on maybe get on for this next month:) If we could get the Christian vote, we might be able to turn this our way. Christians are being demonized in the secular articles I have been reading.

Sep 29th 2012 new

Novena to the Mother of God for the Nation.
EWTN
"Join us for Mass every morning at 8 am ET starting September 29 and continuing through October 7. Bishops from across the country will lead a Novena to the Mother of God for the Nation."
Or pray it on your own. Just 9 days rosary
I posted the site in the Prayer Room.

Oct 2nd 2012 new

(Quote) Laura-56149 said: Got this from a priest friend of mine. It shows comparisons between Romney and Obama. http...
(Quote) Laura-56149 said:

Got this from a priest friend of mine. It shows comparisons between Romney and Obama.

www.catholicvote.org

--hide--

Maybe what Illinois is doing is something everyone reading this could contact their diocese about. The information below was created and approved by the Bishop, so it's usable!

This was in my church's bulletin on Sunday (9/23):

Over the next few weeks the Catholic Bishops of Illinois will be distributing four bulletin inserts to provide guidance and reflection points for Catholics exercising their right to vote in the upcoming 2012 election. This is the first of the four inserts and provides an introduction to the three inserts to follow in the coming weeks. These inserts are based on the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) publication, Forming Consciences for Faithful Citizenship ( http://www.faithfulcitizenship.org)<. The CCI website will also have all the inserts posted as they are released.

For the weeks of September 30 and October 7 we will write one insert about Conscience: What is conscience and what is its function? A conscience formed by our Catholic faith is needed to bring our moral principles to the debate about issues and candidates. However, we feel compelled to clarify the definition of a conscience because some cite their conscience as a justification for immoral public policy positions or support for a candidate whose positions conflict with the common good. Conscience is more than a "feeling." Where there is moral clarity, conscience cannot be used to justify a contradictory public policy stance.

For the weeks of October 14 and 21 we will write one insert about the importance of evaluating a candidate's position on public policy issues. The moral imperative to respond to the basic needs of our neighbors-such as food, shelter, health care, education, and meaningful work-is universally binding on our conscience, but may be legitimately fulfilled through a variety of means. Catholics should seek the best methods to respond to these needs. However, candidates who promise ways to address these important needs, yet at the same time gloss over their support for "intrinsically evil" actions such as abortion, will not receive the support of a person with a conscience well-formed by the Catholic faith or human reason.

Finally, on October 28 and November 4 we will conclude our series of statements with one insert that addresses our profound concern for religious liberty. If the current definition of "religious employer" proposed by the Federal Department of Health and Human Services is allowed to stand, it could spread throughout federal and state law, diminish Catholic ministries throughout the nation, and most importantly, weaken a foundational respect for religious freedom and diversity that has stood since 1776.

The laity is a powerful voice in our nation and state. Our role as bishops is to call your attention to the trends and the issues that we believe are impacting the moral dimension of our society. We hope you will find this series of bulletin inserts educational and will reflect on their content. We also hope they will be helpful to you in discerning not only how to vote, but also in encouraging you to become further involved in promoting the common good of our state.

Oct 7th 2012 new

This was in my church's Sunday bulletin from September 30th.

Election 2012

This is the second of four bulletin inserts to offer guidance and reflection points from Illinois' Catholic Bishops in preparation for the elections of November 6, 2012. (The first insert was an introduction to this effort.) A conscience formed by our Catholic faith is needed to bring our moral principles to the debate about issues and candidates. We feel compelled, here at the beginning, to clarify the definition of conscience, because some cite their conscience as a justification for immoral public policy positions or support for a candidate whose positions conflict with the common good.

Thomas said to him, "Lord, we do not know where you are going; how can we know the way?' Jesus said to him,

"I am the way, the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by me." [John 14:1-7]

"How can we know the way?' This is a question Christians have been asking since the beginning, and one that we must continue to ask today. Like St. Thomas, we know that we cannot find the truth by turning in upon ourselves. Rather we look to Christ and to His Church--for the Church is one with Christ.

To help us know the way, God has placed in each of us a CONSCIENCE, which "bears witness to the truth in reference to the Supreme Good."1 In the words of the Second Vatican Council, "Deep within his conscience man discovers a law which he has not laid upon himself but which he must obey."2 Conscience does not make us morally self-sufficient, but points us toward the truth for which we were made and which alone can make us free. [John 8:32]

Thus, while one must never knowingly act against the clear judgment of his or her own conscience, it is also true that a conscience can only act as a reliable moral guide when it is well-formed. With a spirit of humility and love we reaffirm the words of our brother bishops, reminding all the faithful that it is the "moral responsibility of each Catholic to hear, receive, and act upon the Chruch's teaching in the lifelong task of forming his or her own conscience."3

A well-formed conscience requires, first of all, a genuine desire to embrace goodness and truth and to avoid evil. For Catholics this begins with a willingness and openness to seek the truth revealed to us in Sacred Scripture and Tradition.

Because sin and neglect can distort the judgment of our conscience, prayerful discernment--aided by the wisdom of the Church and the grace of the sacraments, especially reconciliation and the Eucharist--is necessary for a well-formed conscience. Catholics must understand that if they fail to form their consciences they can make erroneous moral judgments.

Conscience is more than a feeling or intuition; it is a judgments of reason whereby a person recognizes the moral quality of a specific, concrete act.4 Moral decision making requires the clearest possible understanding of the specific act being judged. In short, a well-formed conscience will be a well-informed conscience.

It is to that end that we offer these words of guidance, and to which we implore you to make every effort to learn the teachings of the Church and to form your conscience well.

In the next insert beginning on October 14th, we will discuss how a well-formed conscience and prudential judgment guide the decisions we make as citizens and voters. Additional information can be found on the Catholic Conference of Illinois website, www.ilcatholic.org,<.

1 CCC, 1777.

2 Gaudium et Spes, 16

3 Forming consciences for Faithful Citizenship, 5

4 CCC, 1778

Oct 7th 2012 new

(Quote) Wendy-387654 said: This was in my church's Sunday bulletin from September 30th. Election 2012 ...
(Quote) Wendy-387654 said:

This was in my church's Sunday bulletin from September 30th.

Election 2012

This is the second of four bulletin inserts to offer guidance and reflection points from Illinois' Catholic Bishops in preparation for the elections of November 6, 2012. (The first insert was an introduction to this effort.) A conscience formed by our Catholic faith is needed to bring our moral principles to the debate about issues and candidates. We feel compelled, here at the beginning, to clarify the definition of conscience, because some cite their conscience as a justification for immoral public policy positions or support for a candidate whose positions conflict with the common good.

Thomas said to him, "Lord, we do not know where you are going; how can we know the way?' Jesus said to him,

"I am the way, the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by me." [John 14:1-7]

"How can we know the way?' This is a question Christians have been asking since the beginning, and one that we must continue to ask today. Like St. Thomas, we know that we cannot find the truth by turning in upon ourselves. Rather we look to Christ and to His Church--for the Church is one with Christ.

To help us know the way, God has placed in each of us a CONSCIENCE, which "bears witness to the truth in reference to the Supreme Good."1 In the words of the Second Vatican Council, "Deep within his conscience man discovers a law which he has not laid upon himself but which he must obey."2 Conscience does not make us morally self-sufficient, but points us toward the truth for which we were made and which alone can make us free. [John 8:32]

Thus, while one must never knowingly act against the clear judgment of his or her own conscience, it is also true that a conscience can only act as a reliable moral guide when it is well-formed. With a spirit of humility and love we reaffirm the words of our brother bishops, reminding all the faithful that it is the "moral responsibility of each Catholic to hear, receive, and act upon the Chruch's teaching in the lifelong task of forming his or her own conscience."3

A well-formed conscience requires, first of all, a genuine desire to embrace goodness and truth and to avoid evil. For Catholics this begins with a willingness and openness to seek the truth revealed to us in Sacred Scripture and Tradition.

Because sin and neglect can distort the judgment of our conscience, prayerful discernment--aided by the wisdom of the Church and the grace of the sacraments, especially reconciliation and the Eucharist--is necessary for a well-formed conscience. Catholics must understand that if they fail to form their consciences they can make erroneous moral judgments.

Conscience is more than a feeling or intuition; it is a judgments of reason whereby a person recognizes the moral quality of a specific, concrete act.4 Moral decision making requires the clearest possible understanding of the specific act being judged. In short, a well-formed conscience will be a well-informed conscience.

It is to that end that we offer these words of guidance, and to which we implore you to make every effort to learn the teachings of the Church and to form your conscience well.

In the next insert beginning on October 14th, we will discuss how a well-formed conscience and prudential judgment guide the decisions we make as citizens and voters. Additional information can be found on the Catholic Conference of Illinois website, www.ilcatholic.org,<.

1 CCC, 1777.

2 Gaudium et Spes, 16

3 Forming consciences for Faithful Citizenship, 5

4 CCC, 1778

--hide--

This is wonderful, my church is doing much the same with homilies and even a workshop on a well-formed conscience and voting. My prayer is that people realize that the Democrats "social justice" platform DOES NOT over ride their belief in abortion and religious freedom! That was the rationalization last election that got Obama in. People ignored the intrinsic evil they promoted sad Their social justice is not in line with church social justice and if people would compare the two they would see that.

Oct 10th 2012 new

(Quote) Laura-56149 said: Got this from a priest friend of mine. It shows comparisons between Romney and Obama. http...
(Quote) Laura-56149 said:

Got this from a priest friend of mine. It shows comparisons between Romney and Obama.

www.catholicvote.org

--hide--

Hi Laura,

Thanks for this post. It's concise and effective.

Amy Praying rosary theheart

Oct 11th 2012 new

(Quote) Amy-56598 said: Hi Laura, Thanks for this post. It's concise and effective.
(Quote) Amy-56598 said:

Hi Laura,

Thanks for this post. It's concise and effective.

Amy

--hide--

Hi Amy, please post anything you might come across from the church that might help.

Oct 11th 2012 new

"Religious Liberty and HHS mandate: What Catholics Need to Know" This is a wonderful video!!
www.catholiccincinnati.org

Oct 11th 2012 new

In a lead-up to the vice-presidential debate tonight, Pat Campbell of KFAQ radio in Tulsa interviewed Michael Voris on-air this morning. They started with a discussion of how to spot a phony Catholic politician then move on to the inadequate that most people have received since Vatican II, moral relativism, and evil in the modern world.

This is a very informative interview, and while neither Pat or Michael mince words or try to whitewash the truth, the tone is far more subdued than Voris' Vortex segments. I highly recommend this to all.

www.1170kfaq.com

Oct 11th 2012 new
laycatholics.org

Catholic voters expected to determine the outcome of the presidential race.
Posts 21 - 30 of 68