Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Is this right to say that bible is not error free? What I know is that message of the bible speaks of truth. But how about the stories and its characters like Noah's ark, story of creation, etc, can I say they're accurate?

09/15/2012 new

(Quote) Maida-858413 said: Is this right to say that bible is not error free? What I know is that message of the bible speak...
(Quote) Maida-858413 said:

Is this right to say that bible is not error free? What I know is that message of the bible speaks of truth. But how about the stories and its characters like Noah's ark, story of creation, etc, can I say they're accurate?

--hide--
The Bible is the inspired Word of God. That cannot be inaccurate. There aren't any doctrinal errors in the Good Book. What you may perceive as "errors" can be attributed to the different styles of writing that each writer had. Some books of the Bible are meant to be taken literally; some figuratively; some symbolically. It's not meant to be a 100% factual history book; nor is it meant to be a science book. Because of the various writing styles, it was necessary (and still is) to have biblical scholars engage in continual research to determine the particular style of each writer. Study of the language, culture and events of the time had to be considered.

This is brief commentary about the nature of the Bible. You can place your trust in it.

09/23/2012 new

(Quote) Maida-858413 said: Is this right to say that bible is not error free? What I know is that message of the bible speak...
(Quote) Maida-858413 said:

--hide--

No, it is not right. There is a popular misreading of Dei Verbum, paragraph 11, that suggests that only the parts "directly pertaining to our salvation" are free of error.

Now, you can probably see the camel's nose in this one, right? Who decides what is "pertaining to our salvation" and what is error? The modernist theologian? irked

Thankfully, the Catechism of the Catholic Church summarized Paragraph 11 of Dei Verbum directly to remove all question on this issue. Paragraph 105 quotes Dei Verbum as saying that, "For Holy Mother Church, relying on the faith of the apostolic age, accepts as sacred and canonical the books of the Old and the New Testaments, whole and entire, with all their parts, on the grounds that, written under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, they have God as their author, and have been handed on as such to the Church herself." [CCC 105]

Paragraph 106 describes how God, using human authors, inspired scripture to reveal what he desired revealed. "To compose the sacred books, God chose certain men who, all the while he employed them in this task, made full use of their own faculties and powers so that, though he acted in them and by them, it was as true authors that they consigned to writing whatever he wanted written, and no more." [CCC 106]

Finally, Paragraph 107 gives us the line that has been twisted to cause such mischief among the faithful since Vatican II, "Since therefore all that the inspired authors or sacred writers affirm should be regarded as affirmed by the Holy Spirit, we must acknowledge that the books of Scripture firmly, faithfully, and without error teach that truth which God, for the sake of our salvation, wished to see confided to the Sacred Scriptures." [CCC 107] The quotes from the previous two paragraphs contextualized the line here to make it fully understood; the Bible is, in all it's parts, entirely inerrant.

www.scborromeo.org

In this respect, Dei Verbum is failthful to the permanent teaching of the Church on Sacred Scripture, and to bring the point home quotes St. Paul's 2nd Letter to Timothy:

Therefore, since everything asserted by the inspired authors or sacred writers must be held to be asserted by the Holy Spirit, it follows that the books of Scripture must be acknowledged as teaching solidly, faithfully and without error that truth which God wanted put into sacred writings (5) for the sake of salvation. Therefore "all Scripture is divinely inspired and has its use for teaching the truth and refuting error, for reformation of manners and discipline in right living, so that the man who belongs to God may be efficient and equipped for good work of every kind" (2 Tim. 3:16-17, Greek text).

Posts 1 - 3 of 3