Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Oct 3rd 2012 new

(Quote) Wendy-387654 said: Once upon a time, about 8 years ago, as a freshly divorced woman, I joined CM, think...
(Quote) Wendy-387654 said:

Once upon a time, about 8 years ago, as a freshly divorced woman, I joined CM, thinking it would be cool to be "on" a Catholic site. I looked at CM as just another dating site. The 7 questions threw me for a loop, for I had never thought about them before. Not sure what I answered, but I was probably not a 7/7. And then as I lurked in the forums, I interpreted that most people on here were haughty and judgemental, for you see, not only was I not a 7/7, but I was also not annulled. Until I joined CM, I had never even heard about annulments, let alone what one was. So, making my (what I thought was) informed decision, because of (what I interpreted as being) the snootiness of it's members, I quit CM.

Fortunately, the seeds of rightfulness were planted inside of me. So I began to investigate. What were these 7/7 questions? What is an annulment? Why do you need one? Do you need one? How do you get one? Etc., Etc., Etc.

Fast forward a few years past the above, and here I am on CM once again. I am a vastly different woman, due to knowledge. Knowledge given from my Catholic Church. Knowledge given from scripture. Knowledge from participating in CRHP, speakers at church, bible studies.

So let's get back to my perception of CM. Was it accurate? No. Ok, maybe an occasional person will state things in a way that is less than charitable, but overall, it wasn't CM that was "off-key", it was me. For you see, I was living my life as a secular Catholic, but couldn't see it. I thank God for the Catholics here on CM who had the strength and grace to stand strong in their Catholic behavior, for even though I was resentful and defensive, their unwillingness to compromise their beliefs helped me to grow. Of course, it ticked me off at first, but sometimes, that's how God moves us.

You love our Catholic Church!!!! I do not doubt this for one moment! But, please, go to the many threads and read what your sisters-in Christ and brothers-in-Christ have dug up to present to us to help arm us with knowledge.

Go look at the Catholicvote thread. There's much information in that thread to be gained. Our bishops have spoken and I have included what they are saying. They are leading their flock (us) and sometimes, we need to break free of our prior misconceptions and follow our leaders.

--hide--

What a beautiful testimony! Thank you for sharing hug I think you expressed exactly why it is important that we do have those 7/7 conversations and conversations about church teaching. Admin has been limiting these conversations and I think they don't see the bigger picture of the fruits they can produce!

Oct 4th 2012 new
Every voter needs to see the First Presidential Debate!

Post the video on Facebook...multiple times.

Encourage family, friends, and those whom we strike conversation up with to watch the video.

(The true candidates. Obama - without his beloved teleprompter. Romney - for who he is - and not through the lens of the biased media.)

First Presidential Debate: Obama vs. Romney (Complete HD) - www.youtube.com
Oct 4th 2012 new

Check this out...

www.examiner.com

Dr. Barbara Bellar is running for Il state senate and many people wish she was running for fed. She sums up Obamacare in one very long hysterical sentence. Someone posted this video on utube as she didn't even know she was being recorded, I guess. Anyway, she was hysterically funny summing it up.

Oct 5th 2012 new
An Important Message from Paul Ryan -

"We need a president who will support our God-given rights---not try to circumvent them.

The protection of religious liberty will be a cornerstone of a Romney-Ryan administration."

www.youtube.com
Oct 5th 2012 new
(Quote) Mary-486033 said: There is very good news which should give all of us some peace of mind! My contact from the...
(Quote) Mary-486033 said: There is very good news which should give all of us some peace of mind!

My contact from the Diocese of Erie called today and confirmed that the Bishops of PA, in conjunction with our neighboring states of NY, OH, MD, WV, VA, NJ, and, DE, will be releasing relevant materials next week.

On Oct. 2 they will be e-mailing links and attachments which include the new releases drawn up by the bishops as well as approved augmentative tools/resources. I'll post the materials asap.

That office, like Philadelphia, was not aware of what the USCCB was/wasn't doing related to this matter.
--hide--
Just an update. Still haven't heard from the Diocese of Erie. Placed another call. However, with the aforementioned news, it seems likely that the parishes (at least in those states) will be handling bulletin inserts at the bishops' request.

Based on that probability and the delay in receiving further info/supplemental links, I started contacting Catholic bookstores to inquire if they would distribute the CatholicVote.org flyer www.catholicvote.org to their customers. I'm currently working on PA. Sandra is covering OH and ME. Possibly have volunteers for a couple other states. Since Catholic bookstores typically aren't non-profit, that eliminates issues with candidate endorsements.

wave Really could use more help. Not much time left! We'll cover the swing states first...then move onto the others. I have a list of Catholic bookstores for each state. Also, would be nice to contact Pro-life/Polysci organizations within Catholic Universities and request their help to distribute flyers to students. wave
Oct 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Wendy-387654 said: Once upon a time, about 8 years ago, as a freshly divorced woman, I joined CM, think...
(Quote) Wendy-387654 said:

Once upon a time, about 8 years ago, as a freshly divorced woman, I joined CM, thinking it would be cool to be "on" a Catholic site. I looked at CM as just another dating site. The 7 questions threw me for a loop, for I had never thought about them before. Not sure what I answered, but I was probably not a 7/7. And then as I lurked in the forums, I interpreted that most people on here were haughty and judgemental, for you see, not only was I not a 7/7, but I was also not annulled. Until I joined CM, I had never even heard about annulments, let alone what one was. So, making my (what I thought was) informed decision, because of (what I interpreted as being) the snootiness of it's members, I quit CM.

Fortunately, the seeds of rightfulness were planted inside of me. So I began to investigate. What were these 7/7 questions? What is an annulment? Why do you need one? Do you need one? How do you get one? Etc., Etc., Etc.

Fast forward a few years past the above, and here I am on CM once again. I am a vastly different woman, due to knowledge. Knowledge given from my Catholic Church. Knowledge given from scripture. Knowledge from participating in CRHP, speakers at church, bible studies.

So let's get back to my perception of CM. Was it accurate? No. Ok, maybe an occasional person will state things in a way that is less than charitable, but overall, it wasn't CM that was "off-key", it was me. For you see, I was living my life as a secular Catholic, but couldn't see it. I thank God for the Catholics here on CM who had the strength and grace to stand strong in their Catholic behavior, for even though I was resentful and defensive, their unwillingness to compromise their beliefs helped me to grow. Of course, it ticked me off at first, but sometimes, that's how God moves us.

You love our Catholic Church!!!! I do not doubt this for one moment! But, please, go to the many threads and read what your sisters-in Christ and brothers-in-Christ have dug up to present to us to help arm us with knowledge.

Go look at the Catholicvote thread. There's much information in that thread to be gained. Our bishops have spoken and I have included what they are saying. They are leading their flock (us) and sometimes, we need to break free of our prior misconceptions and follow our leaders.

--hide--

Wendy, Thank you for your charitable and patient post! THANK YOU. theheart

Oct 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Shannan-733493 said: I guessed that I might get attacked, if I disagreed with you all politically. And, sadly, I was...
(Quote) Shannan-733493 said:

I guessed that I might get attacked, if I disagreed with you all politically. And, sadly, I wasn't wrong about that. Given that, I don't feel that this is a safe place emotionally for me to discuss my political views and why I am voting for Obama. It is no fun being attacked like that.

But I did feel compelled to speak up for those of us who love the Lord Jesus very much, love the Catholic Church, and are voting for Obama. I'm not alone.

But I'm not going to try to engage in dialogue with you, because it won't be healthy or productive.

--hide--

Shannan Thanks for posting. You probably don't feel safe, but I am sure all of us want to hear what you have to say! I know I do!You seem to be a very interesting woman and I am sure we can all respect your beliefs which may differ from many of ours here. Welcome to the forums and I hope you will post more often and share your voice with us!

Oct 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Shannan-733493 said: I guessed that I might get attacked, if I disagreed with you all politically. And, sadly, I was...
(Quote) Shannan-733493 said:

I guessed that I might get attacked, if I disagreed with you all politically. And, sadly, I wasn't wrong about that. Given that, I don't feel that this is a safe place emotionally for me to discuss my political views and why I am voting for Obama. It is no fun being attacked like that.

But I did feel compelled to speak up for those of us who love the Lord Jesus very much, love the Catholic Church, and are voting for Obama. I'm not alone.

But I'm not going to try to engage in dialogue with you, because it won't be healthy or productive.

--hide--

I don't think you disagree with us politically, I think you disagree with us morally for we are not allowed as Catholics to vote for someone who promotes intrinsic evil....and are you then a one party voter as I see most dems are....because there is by far way more than one issue at stake here also....our entire religious freedom is at stake here. Obama is the most hostile president ever to Christianity and especially Catholics. He is a communist who says himself that he believes in redistribution and has communist for mentors (see 2016 movie or just research it yourself). Thus, on the economic side, he is destroying our country since he has tripled our debt and unemployment. He had not even one accomplishment and no business know how when he came into this position and we are now suffering for this due to false hope and pretenses that he ran on. Most importantly, he uses our tax dollars to fund abortions and birth control and gets his supporters because of this evil...and he backed a bill that would allow the out and out murder of babies born ALIVE after a failed abortion attemp because as he put it....it was the mother's intent to kill the baby.....this alone is two issues.....killing the baby inside the womb and killing the baby outside of the womb. What possible issue could you have for voting for him besides his rhetoric of hope and change that is now divide, divide, divide. Did you watch the last debate even.....he could not defend his record. So many people are suffering because of what he has done to our country.

Oct 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said: (Quote) Shannan-733493 said: I guessed that I might get attacked, if I di...
(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said:

Quote:
Shannan-733493 said:

I don't think you disagree with us politically, I think you disagree with us morally for we are not allowed as Catholics to vote for someone who promotes intrinsic evil....and are you then a one party voter as I see most dems are....because there is by far way more than one issue at stake here also....our entire religious freedom is at stake here. Obama is the most hostile president ever to Christianity and especially Catholics. He is a communist who says himself that he believes in redistribution and has communist for mentors (see 2016 movie or just research it yourself). Thus, on the economic side, he is destroying our country since he has tripled our debt and unemployment. He had not even one accomplishment and no business know how when he came into this position and we are now suffering for this due to false hope and pretenses that he ran on. Most importantly, he uses our tax dollars to fund abortions and birth control and gets his supporters because of this evil...and he backed a bill that would allow the out and out murder of babies born ALIVE after a failed abortion attemp because as he put it....it was the mother's intent to kill the baby.....this alone is two issues.....killing the baby inside the womb and killing the baby outside of the womb. What possible issue could you have for voting for him besides his rhetoric of hope and change that is now divide, divide, divide. Did you watch the last debate even.....he could not defend his record. So many people are suffering because of what he has done to our country.

--hide--
Oh...and lets not forget the issue of foreign policy....we are now more hated and less feared than ever.

Oct 5th 2012 new

www.catholicvote.org

This is a good reference of far more than one issue that shows us why we can't vote for Obama as Catholics...in addition to the mess he has made of our foreign policy....we are more hated than ever and less feared. Also, I'm not sure what liberals are talking about when they say they are more than a one issue voter....abortion is not an ISSUE...it is murder.

Posts 181 - 190 of 200