Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people under 45. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

Frassati was dedicated to works of social action, charity, prayer and community.
Learn More:Pier Giorgio Frassati

10/21/2012 new

Terry, good to hear my concerns aren't unique. In a similar vein as your post, it seems like there is a lack of single Catholics of marrying/childbearing age. Our Young Adults ministry recently folded due to lack of participation. I am one of four Catholics at work. Two don't attend regular mass, and don't take our obligations as Catholics seriously. This Behavior Is Very Disheartening For A New Catholic To See!!

I try to attend mass during the week and on Sundays. Today is not shaping up to be my day, due to rotating shift work, but I try to be consistent and find that life is out of balance when I fail to attend mass frequently.

I think nondenominational Protestant churches have become the norm for folks in my age bracket (40 and under) these days. Seems those churches have the active singles' groups and largest congregations. Sad, really, because there is such beauty in Catholicism and building a relationship/family upon this great faith.

Michael

10/21/2012 new

(Quote) Ana-840226 said: Wish I could relate to what you describe. But where I live, Catholism is spilling out of its seams....
(Quote) Ana-840226 said:

Wish I could relate to what you describe. But where I live, Catholism is spilling out of its seams. The masses I've attended, and they include 3 churches within a 100 mile radius, are alive and full of faith. Its great to be Catholic and I am proud to feel the faith.

--hide--

Ana, are you kidding?!?!? I grew up not too far from you (southeast of Houston) and attended a well-known horsemanship camp there in Magnolia a few times as a child. I had no idea Catholicism was so big there.

Maybe I should move back to Texas.... :-)

Blessings,

Michael

10/21/2012 new

I've also experienced the difficulty of attending and running young adult groups and trying to get consistent participation. But the Holy Spirit is at work! Even though I live in the most "unchurched" region of the country, I am slowly seeing more and more young adults get involved in faith. I think there is a slow change toward better catechesis, especially in high school and stronger Campus Ministries and Newman Centers that are better setting up young adults to stay connected. I agree, compared to many of our Protestant brothers and sisters we have a ways to go in retaining our age group but things are changing.

10/23/2012 new

(Quote) Michael-780154 said: Terry, good to hear my concerns aren't unique. In a similar vein as your post, it seems lik...
(Quote) Michael-780154 said:

Terry, good to hear my concerns aren't unique. In a similar vein as your post, it seems like there is a lack of single Catholics of marrying/childbearing age. Our Young Adults ministry recently folded due to lack of participation. I am one of four Catholics at work. Two don't attend regular mass, and don't take our obligations as Catholics seriously. This Behavior Is Very Disheartening For A New Catholic To See!!

I try to attend mass during the week and on Sundays. Today is not shaping up to be my day, due to rotating shift work, but I try to be consistent and find that life is out of balance when I fail to attend mass frequently.

I think nondenominational Protestant churches have become the norm for folks in my age bracket (40 and under) these days. Seems those churches have the active singles' groups and largest congregations. Sad, really, because there is such beauty in Catholicism and building a relationship/family upon this great faith.

Michael

--hide--

I would have to agree, at least in my location. The 20-35 age range is vastly missing. I haven't attended any 5:30 Saturday masses ( don't really believe in that as a replacement for Sunday mass.) With today's economy, it might be because a lot of people work on Sunday's now. The church groups are dwindling. Except for certain groups of people that stay strong together.

Posts 11 - 14 of 14