Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion of sports, non-video games & hobbies! Football, baseball, basketball, hockey, or your own personal favorite. Brag about your team and explain why the refs blew the big game! Discuss your passion for Corn Hole, Horseshoes,Texas Hold'em or other games.

Saint Christopher is the patron saint of the playing field.
Learn More:Saint Christopher

Oct 9th 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: Here is another one that occurred with a friend who played for the N.Y. Giants and then the Washi...
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said:

Here is another one that occurred with a friend who played for the N.Y. Giants and then the Washington Redskins. When he was a rookie and had come out of USC he was a fullback the Giants drafted. At this particular time Fran Tarkenton (hall of fame quarterback) had been traded to N.Y. by the Minnesota Vikings. (he later ended up back at Minnesota and I believe finished his famed career there) By my friend's own account (I didn't meet him until he was 50) he said he was on the sidelines and had not been in a game yet. However this particular game N.Y. was definitely in control and then Coach Allie Sherman said, "Get ready to go in" My friend was so excited he hurriedly ran out on the field and into the huddle where Tarkenton and "crew" were waiting. He said he leaned in and Fran said, "You doing okay kid?" He nodded vigorously. "You excited about playing?" And "C" responded again with a vigorous nod. Tarkenton then smiled real big and said, "Well.....you might want to go back and get your helmet"! (where in front of 65,000 fans he trotted back to the bench mortified... to retrieve his helmet. He said even Coach Sherman was dying laughing!) Anyway, "C" scored his first T.D. in that game.

--hide--

Another good story,Jerry.The Vikings made a mistake trading away Tarkenton(his playing style didn't please old school head coach,Norm Van Brocklin.Later,he was replaced by Bud Grant).

Oct 9th 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: "49ers deposit the Bills,38-14." Gerard, I love this one!!! Hopefully they won't be...

"49ers deposit the Bills,38-14." Gerard, I love this one!!! Hopefully they won't be "paying the bills" because you and I picked the same way!

--hide--

Thank you,Jerry...I aim to please! laughing

Oct 9th 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: It didn't take them for some reason. It copied yours. We'll try this again: ...

It didn't take them for some reason. It copied yours. We'll try this again:

Here are mine David:
Thursday game

Steelers over Titans

Sunday games

Falcons over Raiders

Bengals over Browns

Rams over Dolphins

Jets over Colts

Eagles over Lions (sorry Linda)

Ravens over Cowboys (sorry Jerry!)

Chiefs over Bucanneers

Patriots over Seahawks

Cardinals over Bills

49ers over Giants

Vikings over Redskins

Packers over Texans (sorry Leon)

Monday game

Chargers over Broncos

--hide--

I'm glad you changed the pick,on the Viking/Redskin game;otherwise,I might not be answering your posts... biggrin laughing

Oct 9th 2012 new

A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE FIELD(this sub-topic has been inspired by Jerry,from Texas).

A number of years ago,the Vikings were playing the 49ers.There was a fumble and a mad scramble for the ball.

After spinning around several times,Jim Marshall picked it up,but the went to the wrong end zone... rolling eyes laughing The result:a safety for the 49ers.

The Vikings did win the game.

I know that it's not as good as either of Jerry's contributuions,but I try to please.

Oct 9th 2012 new

(Quote) Gerard-400247 said: A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE FIELD(this sub-topic has been inspired by Jerry,f...
(Quote) Gerard-400247 said:

A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE FIELD(this sub-topic has been inspired by Jerry,from Texas).

A number of years ago,the Vikings were playing the 49ers.There was a fumble and a mad scramble for the ball.

After spinning around several times,Jim Marshall picked it up,but the went to the wrong end zone... The result:a safety for the 49ers.

The Vikings did win the game.

I know that it's not as good as either of Jerry's contributuions,but I try to please.

--hide--
Gerard, I remember that game. I also remember shouting at Marshall....you're going the wrong way you idiot. laughing laughing

Oct 9th 2012 new

(Quote) Leon-593843 said: Hello to all,As Dave mentioned, I only got 8 right. Three of my picks lost in the last min...
(Quote) Leon-593843 said:

Hello to all,

As Dave mentioned, I only got 8 right. Three of my picks lost in the last minute or so but it is still a loss.

As week 6 begins, I am going to choose one of Dave's upset picks. It will be noted below.

Bye week - Bears, Saints, Panthers, Jaguars

Once again, home teams are in bold:

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Steelers over the Titans

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Falcons
over the Raiders

Cowboys over the Ravens

Browns
over the Bengals (my upset pick)

Dolphins over the Rams

Colts over the Jets

Eagles
over the Lions

Buccaneers over the Chiefs

Bills over the Cardinals

Patriots over the Seahawks

49ers
over the Giants

Vikings over the Redskins

Sunday Evening, October 14, 2012

Texans
over the Packers

Monday, October 15, 2012

Chargers over the Broncos

Even though the Texans won, I don't think they played overall very well. Now, they have lost their best LB, Brian Cushing to a season-ending injury. This was caused by a crack-back block by a Jets player. At most positions, the Texans don't have a lot of depth. So, it is important for them to try and keep healthy throughout the season. Just my opinion.

Jerry, sounds as if you were quite a player. You may not have made All-America in sports but you sure are on my All-American team on this site.

Blessings to all and best wishes,

Leon

--hide--

I agree with your observations on the Texans.They were unable to dominate and their special teams coverage,needs improvement.

Oct 9th 2012 new

(Quote) Linda-624584 said: Gerard, I remember that game. I also remember shouting at Marshall....you're going the wrong ...
(Quote) Linda-624584 said:

Gerard, I remember that game. I also remember shouting at Marshall....you're going the wrong way you idiot.

--hide--

Linda,that is funny... laughing

Oct 10th 2012 new

[quote]Linda's Laity's...Week 6.

Thursday game

Steelers over Titans (easy pic, I think)

Sunday games

Falcons over Raiders

Browns over Bengals (upset pick)

Rams over Dolphins

Jets over Colts

Eagles over Lions (no shame on my part in picking the Eagles)

Cowboys over Ravens (probably a loss for me, but can't go against my team)

Chiefs over Bucanneers

Patriots over Seahawks

Cardinals over Bills

49ers over Giants

Vikings over Redskins

Packers over Texans (think this might be the first loss for Texans) Sorry Leon, it's bound to happen!!

Monday game

Chargers over Broncos

Good luck to all with your picks this week. By the way....y'all might want to wish me luck, since I'm doing so poorly. wink laughing laughing

Oct 10th 2012 new

Gerard,

I have read where famed Dallas Cowboy quarterback Don Meredith was in a game against the N.Y.Giants when their ALL-Pro linebacker Sam Huff was the "man in the middle" He had a lot of respect for Don's play and liked him. However, in a game....things were different. (he was a as mean and relentless as they come!) Once Don was in under center playing with a broken nose and his eyes were blackened from the injury. From what I could tell all he had was a bandage/bandaid across the bridge. He was enduring hit...after hit. He drifted back to pass....and Huff blitzed up the middle. He sacked Meredith so hard his head banged off the grass. (Don was ONE TOUGH quarterback folks) So Huff offers a hand while Don is about to get up. Meredith's words were "Why oh why....did I leave Mt Vernon?!" (meaning his Texas home town) Huff laughed really hard and you could see it on T.V.....though I had to read Don's response in a book~

Oct 10th 2012 new

I know/knew an NFL linebacker who was an ALL-AMERICAN for Arkansas. I followed him through high school because I knew his best friend through my sister-in-law (her brother) We were all in a tavern one night during the NFL off-season. I asked him what it was like playing in the NFL?

He answered: "You know Jerry, I never was hurt all through High School....and really never was hurt in college. But in the NFL...where you are playing with 21 other All-Somethings...heck I'm hurt with something every week!"

Anyone of you who have been down on a sideline during an NFL game know how "violent" the collisions are~

Posts 171 - 180 of 200