Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Sep 26th 2012 new
I was blessed to see Pope Benedict XVI at an audience at the Vatican in 2006, on Ash Wednesday. Amazing experience to be in the presence of the Pope.
Sep 26th 2012 new
Dawn, my youngest sister was at that WYD in Denver in 1993. It was a profound moment in her life. Your post reminds me of how she speaks about it, and JPII.
Sep 26th 2012 new

September 13th 2012 marked the 25th anniversary since JPII was in San Antonio and I got to see him! When he celebrated Mass it is estimated that 350,000 ppl attended and it stands as a Texas record for an audience at a single event.

Three days before he came to say Mass, a freak storm tore up 12 story towers that were built behind the outdoors altar, but nobody was hurt.

Cat

Sep 26th 2012 new

I've seen Pope Benedict XVI couple years ago when he was visiting St. Patrick Cathedral. I was not in the Cathedral though. i saw him from the street while he was in the Pope mobil. :) It was a great experience. Never thought i would ever have any chance to see him. :)

Sep 27th 2012 new

In 1978, I was on a grandstand among the 500 people assembled to form the "People's Choir." We were to sing during the Eucharistic Celebration in an open field with Pope John Paul II. At first I could not understand why during our rehearsals we were singing in one voice (tone) only, not knowing other groups were also rehearsing in a different voice, but when the actual day came the different voices blended in harmony. It was "heavenly." He came to Cebu, Philippines twice.

Sep 27th 2012 new
(Quote) John-746882 said: Dawn, my youngest sister was at that WYD in Denver in 1993. It was a profound moment in her life. Your post reminds...
(Quote) John-746882 said: Dawn, my youngest sister was at that WYD in Denver in 1993. It was a profound moment in her life. Your post reminds me of how she speaks about it, and JPII.
--hide--

A not-so-small, small world in the Catholic Church. Yep. Profound moment in my life, and I have such a fondness for Papa. heart pope
Sep 27th 2012 new
I once heard that JPII was, in the entire history of time, was seen by more people than any other person. With the crowds who flocked to see him--thousands, hundreds of thousands, millions upon millions-- I believe this to be true. Eat your heart out rock stars. And who received more of an outpouring of love on all these occasions? Nobody. Invariably you'd see youth and all others with expressions of such joy, smiles and emotional outbursts of tears of joy. So many of my family members got to see this man, starting with my Dad at Yankee Stadium in 1978, to my Mom later in her life in Rome, to my sisters and my youngest brother on various visits to the U.S.A. and Canada. And then my eldest niece had a private audience, a small one with him late in his life, where they told her and the students she was with to not approach the Pope. My niece found herself so emotionally caught up she couldn't help herself; she rushed to him, fell on her knees in tears telling him how much see loved him. He took her face in his hands and looked into her eyes with love. And there is a picture of her and her whole group around a seated Pope John Paul II. Now our current Pope continues to guide and love us in the same way.
Sep 27th 2012 new

Yes I was blessed to meet and shake the hand of John Paul II in 2000. My ex-boyfriend is Polish and arranged the meeting (he himself had met JPII about 6 times and has some wonderful pics to show for it. They look like two buddies, with John Paul II always happy to see him and with an arm around him. He even received Holy Communion from him.) I also saw Pope Benedict a few times as I live in Italy for some months during the year. One year we could not get close to him because of the crowds. My friend and I gave up and headed back home. On a lonely street we saw the Popemobile come back from where he had been. No-one had thought to line the streets on his RETURN so we were lucky we saw him close up and with no-one around! biggrin

Sep 27th 2012 new

In 1976, I went to Italy with my maternal grandparents, my older brother and a multitude of great Aunts and Uncles. We attended mass in Vatican Square. I passed out (I have type 1 diabetes and just needed food) Anyway, I was taken to the sick station and the pope came in and blessed me, along with everyone there, mostly my extended family. This unscheduled personal audience with the pope will always be charished by myself and all now deceased great aunts, uncles and grandparents.
Thanks for asking.

Sep 27th 2012 new

Welcome to Catholic Match!

Posts 31 - 40 of 66