Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

09/29/2012 new

(Quote) Dawn-58330 said: I was/ am blessed to have attended World Youth Day in Denver in 1993. I was twelve rows away from JPII whe...
(Quote) Dawn-58330 said: I was/ am blessed to have attended World Youth Day in Denver in 1993. I was twelve rows away from JPII when he went past in the Popemobile. I was in Mile High Stadium with 90,000 other young people, and at Cherry Creek Park for the Vigil and Mass with 400,000.

I have struggled for years to try to capture the experience in words. It's difficult to express adequately the peace, grace, joy, and challenge that those four days in Denver have given me. I went to WYD eager to see my Rocky Mountains again. I never counted on seeing JPII, and honestly didn't really care. But seeing him changed it all.
--hide--

I too, am a proud World Youth Day alumnus! My group and I were at first dissapointed over getting Welcoming Ceremony tickets instead of up close seating for Mass, but that all changed when we got to our seats right behind the Rockies dugout in Mile High and realized that we'd have a direct view of JPII as he went by.

What a experience!

09/29/2012 new

Yes I was present at a private audience with the Pope. I went on a tour of Eutope with the local Elks and the meeting had been set up a year ahead of our trip. It was terrific and he was so sweet and had such an aura that one felt you were in the present of a true holly man.

09/30/2012 new

Yes, Laura .... I attended a Papal Mass at the Pontiac (Michigan) Silverdome ... seats were in almost the very last row up top, but you could still see JPII .... what a thrill! And to get the Papal Blessing .... it was a wonderful day!

pope

09/30/2012 new

Yes, had the honor of meeting John Paul inside the Vatican in 2000 while on a pilgrimage with my father. He gave me two special gifts. A day that I will never forget.

09/30/2012 new

(Quote) Barbara-592749 said: Yes I was present at a private audience with the Pope. I went on a tour of Eutope ...
(Quote) Barbara-592749 said:

Yes I was present at a private audience with the Pope. I went on a tour of Eutope with the local Elks and the meeting had been set up a year ahead of our trip. It was terrific and he was so sweet and had such an aura that one felt you were in the present of a true holly man.

--hide--

Hi Barbara, welcome to the forums! Keep posting!!!

09/30/2012 new

Hi John, wow another new person posting to the forums! Welcome! It is interesting this pope thread is getting a lot of first time posters!

09/30/2012 new

Yes I saw JPII in August of 2004, a few months before he died. I was living in Germany as military family member, and we took a vacation to Rome. It was the Wednesday audience, but inside due to the hear.

It was very moving, and his homily was very touching. He was frail then, but he seemed to have joy with and from the people. I felt very blessed to be in the presence of the Vicar of Christ on earth.

09/30/2012 new

Great first post Tricia! Welcome to forums! I agree, there was something very special about JPII. I noticed that, and I was not even Catholic. ok, I am still not Catholic technically:o) But anyway, he did have an amazing sense of joy.

02/02/2013 new

I got to see Pope Benedict in 2005 at World Youth Day in Colonge, Germany. I was with-in five feet of him even though it was a mere few seconds since he was in the pope mobile driving by, but the experience was great. I also had the chance to see where Pope John Paul II prayed and slept when he would visit Lourdes, France, that was really neat.

02/02/2013 new

Madrid 2011, I was at WYD and at the vigil, I got a tad lost. Anyway, I somehow ended up near the stage, and when I looked over to try and see my country's flag, I saw Pope Benedict instead. He was a good 10, maybe 20 metres away, but it was him. He was in the process of heading up the stairs. Huzzah!

As an aside, I found my group of 30 in amongst the one and a bit million people thanks to the Texans next to us. They had a massive American flag, the building sized kind, that was inlaid with little lights.

Posts 51 - 60 of 66