Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

09/26/2012 new

(Quote) Dan-656122 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: I read a profile recently where the gentleman lis...
(Quote) Dan-656122 said:

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

I read a profile recently where the gentleman listed this about himself stating that he is a man of honor. I was very impressed and wanted to know more. What types of qualities would a man of honor possess? How would you describe him and how he lives? Thank you ahead of time for the discussion we will have!

Honor is a word we do not hear a lot these days. Do certain actions, qualities or behaviors and beliefs come to mind?

I have been teaching and I notice that in the public schools there is a serious attempt to teach values and morals as well as an attempt to help children promise to graduate from high school by having them make this pledge daily along with pledging to reach for other positive goals. They review the rules of good behavior each day as well. I am so impressed with this.

What do you think of this?

In an adult what constitutes honor?

I would agree with Ray that a man of honor highly values integrity, but I think integrity is the driving force. I believe that a man of honor is someone who lives a virtuous life and finds the virtues to be the guidepost in his life. I would bring together the theological (faith, hope, love) and the cardinal (prudence, justice, fortitude, temperance) virtues in describing the virtues he lives. I believe integrity is what keeps him living those virtues. That he finds the virtues to be the core of his very self and to violate any of them is to violate his very self.

--hide--

Dan, this is absolutely right on target. I think that integrity gives him the desire and ability to try to attain virtue and to operate with virtue. Have you read any special books about the virtues? Do you have any recommendations? I recommend The Four Cardinal Virtues by Josef Pieper.
Also Faith, Hope and Love by Josef Pieper.
Have you any recommendations?

09/26/2012 new

A man of honor.

www.chivalrynow.net

09/26/2012 new

The symbol of his horn in Psalm 112 represents vitality and honor.

www.usccb.org

09/26/2012 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: I read a profile recently where the gentleman listed this about himself stating that he is a man ...
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

I read a profile recently where the gentleman listed this about himself stating that he is a man of honor. I was very impressed and wanted to know more. What types of qualities would a man of honor possess? How would you describe him and how he lives? Thank you ahead of time for the discussion we will have!

Honor is a word we do not hear a lot these days. Do certain actions, qualities or behaviors and beliefs come to mind?

I have been teaching and I notice that in the public schools there is a serious attempt to teach values and morals as well as an attempt to help children promise to graduate from high school by having them make this pledge daily along with pledging to reach for other positive goals. They review the rules of good behavior each day as well. I am so impressed with this.

--hide--

I would define a man of honor as one that chooses good over evil.

09/26/2012 new

(Quote) Valentin-119637 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: I read a profile recently where the gentlema...
(Quote) Valentin-119637 said:

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

I would define a man of honor as one that chooses good over evil.

--hide--

Thank you Valentin. That definition cuts right to the heart of the matter. Excellent!

09/26/2012 new

(Quote) Cindy-534370 said: A man of honor.www.chivalrynow.net
(Quote) Cindy-534370 said:

A man of honor.

www.chivalrynow.net

--hide--

Cindy, This is an excellent illustration of what is a man of honor. I love this honor code! THANK YOU!

09/26/2012 new

THANK YOU AGAIN CINDY. I am going to post the psalm you posted!

Psalms, chapter 112 PSALM 112*The Blessings of the Just

1Hallelujah!

Blessed the man who fears the LORD,

who greatly delights in his commands.a

2His descendants shall be mighty in the land,

a generation of the upright will be blessed.

3Wealth and riches shall be in his house;

his righteousness* shall endure forever.

4Light shines through the darkness for the upright;b

gracious, compassionate, and righteous.

5It is good for the man gracious in lending,

who conducts his affairs with justice.

6For he shall never be shaken;

the righteous shall be remembered forever.c

7He shall not fear an ill report;

his heart is steadfast, trusting the LORD.

8His heart is tranquil, without fear,

till at last he looks down on his foes.

9Lavishly he gives to the poor;

his righteousness shall endure forever;d

his horn* shall be exalted in honor.

10The wicked sees and is angry;

gnashes his teeth and wastes away;

the desire of the wicked come to nothing.

* [Psalm 112] An acrostic poem detailing the blessings received by those who remain close to God by obedience to the commandments. Among their blessings are children (Ps 112:2), wealth that enables them to be magnanimous (Ps 112:3,5,9), and virtue by which they encourage others (Ps 112:4). The just person is an affront to the wicked, whose hopes remain unfulfilled (Ps 112:10). The logic resemblesPs 1;111.

* [112:3] Righteousness: in the Second Temple period the word acquired the nuance of liberality and almsgiving, cf.Sir 3:30;7:10;Mt 6:1–4.

* [112:9] His horn: the symbol for vitality and honor.

09/26/2012 new

(Quote) Dawn-58330 said: An honorable person is selfless. One has his or her focus centered outside of themselves. Honorable people...
(Quote) Dawn-58330 said: An honorable person is selfless. One has his or her focus centered outside of themselves. Honorable people are disciplined to not cave to the whims of society, peer pressure, or passing fancies. There is a sense of dedication. They serve others. They have humility. They are principled and have high standards for themselves.
--hide--

Dawn, I must disagree with you here. You are speaking about Boy Scouts. Boy Scouts have honor and seek to help others. But honor itself implies that the person has integrity and truthfulness as said, but does not imply selflessness. Just the opposite in fact. Honor is about your own reputation and conduct. It is a very self-oriented quality. A man of honor values his integrity, truthfulness, and reputation for the same. He will fight to the death to defend his honor or that of his family. It is the basis of tribal warfare, blood revenge, and intergenerational feuds. So, if you insult him or hit him, you can expect to be challenged to a duel, and someone may well die. You can read about this in the hiostory of our forefathers. The good news is, you will get to choose the weapons.

Honor is about self and family, not selflessness.

Now, a person who has honor first, and then uses it in a selfless way (as the Boy Scouts teach one to do), that is a hero, a knight, perchance a saint. If the honor comes first, so there is first integrity, truthfulness, and the knowing of who one is, then the sacrifice can come later and you will know it is legitimate.

My point is just don't confuse honor with selflessness. Two very distinct qualities; both noble.

09/26/2012 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: Dan, this is absolutely right on target...
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

Dan, this is absolutely right on target. I think that integrity gives him the desire and ability to try to attain virtue and to operate with virtue. Have you read any special books about the virtues? Do you have any recommendations? I recommend The Four Cardinal Virtues by Josef Pieper.
Also Faith, Hope and Love by Josef Pieper.
Have you any recommendations?

--hide--

I hate to say I don't have any recommendations other than the usual of the Bible and the Catechism of the Catholic Church. I have found there are many stories that feature characters who are men of honor; off the top of my head, I'd say the Lord of the Lords triology and The Hobbit.

09/26/2012 new

(Quote) Gerald-283546 said: Dawn, I must disagree with you here. You are speaking about Boy Scouts. Boy Scouts have ...
(Quote) Gerald-283546 said:

Dawn, I must disagree with you here. You are speaking about Boy Scouts. Boy Scouts have honor and seek to help others. But honor itself implies that the person has integrity and truthfulness as said, but does not imply selflessness. Just the opposite in fact. Honor is about your own reputation and conduct. It is a very self-oriented quality. A man of honor values his integrity, truthfulness, and reputation for the same. He will fight to the death to defend his honor or that of his family. It is the basis of tribal warfare, blood revenge, and intergenerational feuds. So, if you insult him or hit him, you can expect to be challenged to a duel, and someone may well die. You can read about this in the hiostory of our forefathers. The good news is, you will get to choose the weapons.

Honor is about self and family, not selflessness.

Now, a person who has honor first, and then uses it in a selfless way (as the Boy Scouts teach one to do), that is a hero, a knight, perchance a saint. If the honor comes first, so there is first integrity, truthfulness, and the knowing of who one is, then the sacrifice can come later and you will know it is legitimate.

My point is just don't confuse honor with selflessness. Two very distinct qualities; both noble.

--hide--
Exceptional summation of honor. Thanks for the great post, Gerald. Dove

Posts 31 - 40 of 85