Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

09/28/2012 new
I think of honor as a combination of constancy of character with magnanimity of spirit. To be truly honorable, performing correct actions, or even performing herioc actions, is not sufficient, if in the process it belittles another person. Honor is the marriage of right action with a good heart.
09/28/2012 new
(Quote) Marian-83994 said: I read a profile recently where the gentleman listed this about himself stating that he is a man of honor. I wa...
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

I read a profile recently where the gentleman listed this about himself stating that he is a man of honor. I was very impressed and wanted to know more. What types of qualities would a man of honor possess? How would you describe him and how he lives? Thank you ahead of time for the discussion we will have!

Honor is a word we do not hear a lot these days. Do certain actions, qualities or behaviors and beliefs come to mind?

I have been teaching and I notice that in the public schools there is a serious attempt to teach values and morals as well as an attempt to help children promise to graduate from high school by having them make this pledge daily along with pledging to reach for other positive goals. They review the rules of good behavior each day as well. I am so impressed with this.

What do you think of this?

In an adult what constitutes honor?

--hide--

There use to be a college near West Point named Ladycliff College were fine young women use to attend to meet a West Point Graduate......Military Balls at the Thayer Hotel
09/28/2012 new

(Quote) Jim-397948 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: I read a profile recently where the gentleman listed thi...
(Quote) Jim-397948 said:
Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

I read a profile recently where the gentleman listed this about himself stating that he is a man of honor. I was very impressed and wanted to know more. What types of qualities would a man of honor possess? How would you describe him and how he lives? Thank you ahead of time for the discussion we will have!

Honor is a word we do not hear a lot these days. Do certain actions, qualities or behaviors and beliefs come to mind?

I have been teaching and I notice that in the public schools there is a serious attempt to teach values and morals as well as an attempt to help children promise to graduate from high school by having them make this pledge daily along with pledging to reach for other positive goals. They review the rules of good behavior each day as well. I am so impressed with this.

What do you think of this?

In an adult what constitutes honor?

There use to be a college near West Point named Ladycliff College were fine young women use to attend to meet a West Point Graduate......Military Balls at the Thayer Hotel
--hide--

Because they expected to meet a man of honor?

09/28/2012 new

(Quote) Marissa-816246 said: I think of honor as a combination of constancy of character with magnanimity of spirit. To be truly ho...
(Quote) Marissa-816246 said: I think of honor as a combination of constancy of character with magnanimity of spirit. To be truly honorable, performing correct actions, or even performing herioc actions, is not sufficient, if in the process it belittles another person. Honor is the marriage of right action with a good heart.
--hide--

Marissa this is beautifully put! rose

09/29/2012 new

(Quote) William-872148 said: HE IS A GOOD MAN
(Quote) William-872148 said:

HE IS A GOOD MAN

--hide--

William are you commenting on the topic or on a specific individual here?

09/29/2012 new

Marian,

Thank you... glad to be here. These forums are so helpful for me as I seek to build a new, Catholic, life hopefully leading to a loving marriage and faith filled family life one day. I don't know how that will ever happen, as I still have an annulment decision pending at this time (after 18 months since submission of the petition), but those details aren't up to me. :-)

One day at a time... and lots of learning...

Blessings,

Michael

09/29/2012 new

(Quote) Pat-5351 said: To me it means someone who lives by a code of priniciples that are higher ideals than satisfying or s...
(Quote) Pat-5351 said:

To me it means someone who lives by a code of priniciples that are higher ideals than satisfying or serving his own self interest, and that despite personal sacrifice to himself, adheres to those principles, no matter what. That's a man of honor to me.

--hide--

Sounds like what one sees when they enter Chase Hall at the Coast Guard Academy..

Who Lives Here Reveres Honor, Honors Duty

09/29/2012 new

(Quote) Gerald-283546 said: I guess I am being abstruse instead of clear. Let me try it this way. Virtues are desire...
(Quote) Gerald-283546 said:

I guess I am being abstruse instead of clear. Let me try it this way. Virtues are desireable qualities in a person's character. Some are inborn, but others can be learned. There are many virtues, such as kindness, humility, honesty, thriftiness, diligence, faithfulness, perseverence, loyalty, courteousness, bravery, reverence, etc. Because one has one virtue, does not imply one has them all. A person who is honorable, will have honesty: his word is his bond, but this doesn't imply he is also thrifty or kind.

There is certainly a cultural component to the virtues, in that some cultures values certain virtues above others. Yet, there is a sort of natural law of virtue, I think, in that certain characteristics are considered virtues in most cultures. Bravery for example.

With honor in particular, I think its expression is very much culturally influenced. At the time when the US was founded, if you publically insulted a man, his honor would demand that he call you our for a duel. Your honor would require that you accept. We lost a Vice President that way. It was about honor. Both were honorable men. A man of honor will not allow his honor to be insulted or besmirched. As our culture changed, duelling was outlawed because it was costing the lives of some of our best and most honorable men.

Yet, in certain parts of the world, for instance in the Muslim Middle East, people are still killed over questions involving honor. If the bedsheets are not stained with blood on the wedding night, it is a question of honor. If an uncle was killed by a rival clan, the nephew must avenge it as a matter of honor. And most recently, anti-American jihadists have been able to inflame societies by using videos and cartoons insulting the prophet Mohammed by appealing to their loyalty to the honor of Muhammed.

So, honor is important, but it seems to me it is a double edged sword. Teamed up with humility, charity, kindness and mercy, honor is a wonderful quality. On its own however, it can go any number of ways.

--hide--

Thank you Gerald, you keep explaining it so well!

09/29/2012 new

(Quote) Cindy-534370 said: A man of honor. www.chivalrynow.net
(Quote) Cindy-534370 said:

A man of honor.

www.chivalrynow.net

--hide--

This is great - thank you Cindy rose!

09/29/2012 new

(Quote) Michael-780154 said: Marian, Thank you... glad to be here. These forums are so helpful for me as I s...
(Quote) Michael-780154 said:

Marian,

Thank you... glad to be here. These forums are so helpful for me as I seek to build a new, Catholic, life hopefully leading to a loving marriage and faith filled family life one day. I don't know how that will ever happen, as I still have an annulment decision pending at this time (after 18 months since submission of the petition), but those details aren't up to me. :-)

One day at a time... and lots of learning...

Blessings,

Michael

--hide--

You are welcome and welcome to post and learn here.

Posts 61 - 70 of 85