Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Oct 1st 2012 new
I'm the youngest of two, so I was shielded to some degree when i was younger. I did get away with murder for a few things..... Sis was a risk taker, while I tended to keep my head screwed on. A bit of a role reversal
Oct 2nd 2012 new

I'm the eldest of 3 sisters and feel the weight of that responsibility every day. I was the one who went off to university, studied hard, prayed hard and worked too hard (that might be an advantage to some but life was skipping me by). I was often told when younger that whilst I was intelligent I didn't have an ounce of common sense...it appears that my dear and very beautiful sisters got that too!!! They are now teaching me how to enjoy life, work hard but not too hard and not be so much of a worrier (that became my role when my mam went to heaven). Younger siblings definitely have the advantage in life!! biggrin hug

Oct 10th 2012 new

I am fourth born out of four. I have three older brothers. What makes me interesting is that the closest sibling in age is more than 10 years older than I am. In some ways, it was like I had multiple sets of parents growing up. My oldest brother promised my parents that he would look after me if something happened to them before I grew up. He also made sure I was OK right after our father died.

Other interesting facts: I was the oldest to finally leave home, but for the past few years, I, the youngest, live the furthest from where we grew up, the next youngest lives a little closer, the next one, a little closer, and the oldest one lives the closest.

It was annoying in grade school and high school because many of the teachers knew my older siblings and thus I was always compared with them. I wonder how many times I thought to myself, "Well @&^*^@&^, I'm not Bob or George or Johnny; get over it!"

Oct 13th 2012 new
I am 2nd of 4. My older sister is about 14 years older than me.

I am a middle born with first born tendencies. I wonder if I should put that in my profile!
Oct 13th 2012 new

I am 2nd of seven, with the oldest a brother (54) and 4 younger sisters (52, 51, 50, and 48) and a brother (49). There was no rest for my mom! It was fun being one of the oldest. Growing up July brother and I were best friends and pretty independent. We had the most freedom to ride bikes or swim or play all day. We also had the privilege of staying up later, but started working full time jobs at 13. We were very responsible and I didn't learn to cook at all growing up. I had to learn it on my own, with my poor husband as guinea pig.

I wouldn't trade my family for anything. Of course, being so close in age, I didn't know until later that the younger kids would spy on me playing my albums (The Monkees, Elton John, CCR or John Denver) and think I was so cool. A lot of them got jobs where I had worked growing up. I wasn't allowed to get my ears pierced or wear makeup until I was 16 while the younger girls could do this at 12. I didn't even have much interest until the rule changed so I had to run out and get my ears pierced first, before they did!

Oct 13th 2012 new

Don't know where July came from, should have been "my"...

Oct 13th 2012 new

Sorry again...didn't notice I was posting in the wrong room. Please ignore my previous commentary.

Oct 13th 2012 new

I'm the oldest of 2. Yes, I think you are expected to be more responsible being the 1st born. More pressure and expectations.

I've read the birth order book but not the 1st Born Advantage. I'll have to check that one out. There are some definite disadvantages will all the care taking of elderly parents falls on one (the oldest in my case) and the youngest is just a mooch.

Oct 14th 2012 new

I am the oldest, the youngest, and the middle. I am the only child. A lot of people instantly think that being the only child means that you're spoiled and get everything you want. For some people, that may be the case, but definitely not for me. When it came to attention, of course I hogged it all, but that's not always the best thing. It meant that when something happened, it was clearly always my fault. No brother or sister to try to pin the blame on. wink I didn't have siblings to argue with, so my natural tendency was to pick a fight/argument with my father. Of course, I'd always lose, but as I'd inherited his stubbornness, I never learned. Hehehe.

Most of the time, I don't mind being an only child. We moved a lot when I was a kid, so I was never around much of my extended family, and for all of my life, it's just been the 3 of us. My mother can sometimes be overprotective, but they've always been supportive and were more than willing to kick me out of the house and into college after I graduated high school. biggrin I've always been very independent, so it wasn't a problem for me to move out and begin my life on my own.

Then there are the times when we get together with family and I see my mother with her 3 sisters. Of course they don't always get along, but they love each other and are there for each other. And it's times like that when I envy her for having that extra support system of her 3 sisters, especially now that my grandparents have passed. When the dreaded day comes when both of my parents are gone, I'll be by myself, and that's definitely going to be hard.

Oct 14th 2012 new

(Quote) Jenny-872030 said: Today at work one of my students was telling me about "The Birth Order Book" and "...
(Quote) Jenny-872030 said:

Today at work one of my students was telling me about "The Birth Order Book" and "The Firstborn Advantage" by Dr. Kevin Leman. Apparently, your place in the line up of children in your family can say a lot about who you are; your personality and maturity level. I love reading this kind of stuff, so I immediately requested both of the books through interlibrary loan. I'm excited for them to arrive so I can read them!

So, where are you in your family? How many siblings do you have, and how many boys and girls? Do you think your birth order affected the person you are today?

I'll start! I'm the oldest. I have two younger brothers (23 and 13) and five younger sisters (20, 18, 16, 11, and 7). And yes, I think being the oldest forced me to step out of my comfort zone more than any of my siblings have had to and as a result I think I've always been pretty mature for my age. I always had a lot of responsibility growing up, and I know my parents trusted me with things they don't even allow some of my siblings (who are much older than I was at the time) to handle.

--hide--

I'm the oldest of 6, (25, 22, 19, 10 and 3) I love having a baby brother although he's a tyrant laughing I love being the oldest, my siblings look up to me and it makes me proud they call me for advice. I'm not near home and I miss them terribly, but when I get to go home I love spoiling them! Being the oldest of my siblings and of most of my cousings taught me how to be good with kids and responsiblity. Wouldn't trade it for anything

Posts 11 - 20 of 42